Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE with VPC accesses Webserver on same Mac - Possible?

IE with VPC accesses Webserver on same Mac - Possible?
big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 04:06 AM

Hi there,

could anyone tell me if this is possible:

I develop PHP on a mac that runs as a webserver. Whenever I need to present stuff, I have to show the PHP-Apps on a WIN IE. This is necessary for look and feel (of the audience) and for wysiwyg-options.

Now I wonder if it Possible to access the macside Webserver via Virtual PC (e.g. 2 different IPs). Would that work? And will VPC be fast enough on my pb g4 887Mhz / 640Ram?

If anyone could confirm this, I would be helped a lot. Would using jaguar / panther make any difference in the performance?

Thanks in advance
Volker

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2003, 06:27 PM

I think this should be possible. You would need to configure your virtual machine to use shared Open Transport networking (IIRC). You can set this in VPC > Scripts > Set Networking Type.
As for VPC's performance on your machine, it's going to be pretty slow. I recommend running Windows 2000 rather than XP, for better performance. It will also help if you don't run any other apps or unnecessary processes at the same time - even quit the Finder while running VPC.
I can't really say whether VPC will run better in Jaguar or Panther, since I got a faster machine when I made the OS upgrade.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

allap
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 06:37 PM

couldn't you just connect to 127.0.0.1 as the URL?

Forum Links
Forum Rules