Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 133)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 06:06 PM

Funny, seems like people come here and post w/o even reading what has been posted already

-t

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 06:25 PM

You know, it's almost like people post without reading what other people have said.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
You know, it's almost like people post without reading what other people have said.
*I* would never do that. Except, of course, to intentionally piss of mods that I have absolutely no beef with.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 06:33 PM

I don't think anyone should post without reading unless they want to piss off mods they don't have a beef with.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
How do they push it exactly?
They have been since day 1. When I started looking at getting an HD palyer I had to search for the HD DVD stuff when they BD running on three TVs and none running HD DVD.
45/47

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
You Blu-ray people are funny.

I'm amazed at the ease with which you pronounce the death of HD DVD even when 1/3 of all HD titles are only available on HD DVD and Warner's catalog will be available on either format until summer.

You're all losing perspective. This thread has been going on long enough and you've become so involved in it that you don't seem to realize how infantile the HD market still is. Do you honestly think these little ups and downs for either format have any real bearing at this early of a stage? Really?

If you want an indication of which format will win, I suggest waiting until HD sales count for something other than beans. Where the war stands a year from now might matter.

As for now, HD DVD is at a disadvantage, agreed. But does being at a disadvantage in a war that is almost completely unknown by the consumer really matter? Especially if you're to believe that HD media will one day rival DVD in title sales...

The journey has just begun people.
OMG. I literally laughed out loud.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 09:35 PM

The Netflix news is much worse for HD DVD than Best Buy. All Best Buy is saying is that they'll be pushing Blu-Ray, but they didn't say anything about going exclusive for phasing out anything. I guess that means they'll recommend the BD hardware, because if you're already looking for an HD DVD disc you're pretty much decided on what you want.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The Netflix news is much worse for HD DVD than Best Buy. All Best Buy is saying is that they'll be pushing Blu-Ray, but they didn't say anything about going exclusive for phasing out anything. I guess that means they'll recommend the BD hardware, because if you're already looking for an HD DVD disc you're pretty much decided on what you want.
I think you will find drastic reductions in the retail space devoted to HD-DVD at Best Buy, otherwise why bother with a press release.
climber

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 10:17 PM

While it's clear that BD is the winner for plastic shiny disc formats,

And I have an appreciation for a storage medium that can hold 50gb on a platter,

I still think that for movie distribution, the answer is "neither."

I own a VUDU ( VUDU - Home ) which has a model similar to AppleTV's, except without the consistent pricing model.

I will be getting an AppleTV. I don't want to spend money on shiny plastic discs.

I do think the example of the iTunes-ready file on the Family Guy:Blue Harvest disc is a good thing, and it's the sort of thing that would encourage me to buy a shiny plastic disc, even though I'm biased against that purchase.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 10:19 PM

Thank goodness someone finally brought up the idea that downloadable formats might compete with "shiny silver discs."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 10:20 PM

45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Thank goodness someone finally brought up the idea that downloadable formats might compete with "shiny silver discs."
I posted this during CES '08
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
XStreamHD unveiled press conference, live - Engadget
Hmmmm
Michael Douglas, investor in XStreamHD
45/47

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 11:30 PM

Has anyone heard about downloading movies. Maybe it will give HD-DVD and Blu-ray a run for their money. This could turn into a three way race!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Oversoul
Senior User

I wouldn't blow your check just yet. The predecessor Samsung BD-UP5000 model has been plagued by problems, including the inability to read a number of discs, and has already been discontinued after just over a month on the market. Word is the 5500 may not have a Reon chip, which might hamper upconversion quality.

turtle777
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I own a VUDU ( VUDU - Home ) which has a model similar to AppleTV's, except without the consistent pricing model.

I will be getting an AppleTV. I don't want to spend money on shiny plastic discs.
Are you getting an AppleTV because you think it's better than Vudu, or to complement the Vudu ?

How do these two compare ?

-t

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Has anyone heard about downloading movies. Maybe it will give HD-DVD and Blu-ray a run for their money. This could turn into a three way race!
You think?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:05 AM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 12, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Are you getting an AppleTV because you think it's better than Vudu, or to complement the Vudu ?

How do these two compare ?

-t
The Vudu is a nice piece of hardware. The remote is very nicely designed, as is the interface.

It sucks bandwidth like no tomorrow. 2.3Mbps is nothing for this device.

The pricing is inconsistent. A movie can be 9.99, 14.99, 19.99. A rental could be 2.99 to 5.99. A rental period can be 24 hours, 48, or 72. The only notification is when you actually confirm that you're buying it. If you're watching and the rental period expires, the movie stops and you get a dialog box warning.

AppleTV has more consistent pricing. The watchable period is still too short. A movie should never expire if you're in the middle of watching it, it should let you finish.

As for quality, the Vudu isn't bad at all. It remains to be seen how the AppleTV rentals or purchases look.

I bought the Vudu before it was known that AppleTV would have rentals and purchasing directly from the device. I think I actually got it before iPhone had the wifi iTunes store, which was one of the tip-offs that AppleTV would get the ability to purchase directly from the iTunes store.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
T A movie should never expire if you're in the middle of watching it, it should let you finish.
Thanks for the details.

Wasnt' there reports that Apple would let you finish movies AFTER the movie rental had expired ?

Time Machinations: Apple Lets You Keep iTunes Video Rentals Longer Than 24 Hours, No Hacks Required

Have you ever tried that ?

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 02:15 AM

I will not be blamed for this latest turn in discussion back to digital downloads.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I will not be blamed for this latest turn in discussion back to digital downloads.
Why not ?

Since shifting blame is free at 'NN...

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 02:20 AM

Interesting rumor today... Netflix may be doing streaming (not digital downloads) for the PS3 and 360:

Netflix coming to Xbox 360 and PS3? - Engadget
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2008, 02:36 AM

Crazy red conspiracy theories:
Isn't It Weird? - High-Def Digest Forums
Isn't it weird that Best Buy and Netflix both make their announcements on the same day? To me it appears the BDA has paid off both instead of trying to pay anyone else on the HD-DVD exclusive side to go Blu-Ray, it's cheaper for them and in the end will leave the HD-DVD side with no choice but to go neutral or Blu-Ray exclusive.

Just a theory but it would make perfect sense. Especially since the BDA did something just like this last year with Blockbuster and Target.
Originally Posted by ElektronikSupersonik:
Why does it have to be a pay off? Can't it simply mean that netflix
and BB have been talking to the BDA and they all reached a decision to do this on the same day for the benefit of the format?
Not when their format is losing.
High-Def Digest Forums - View Single Post - Isn't It Weird?

They thought Blu-ray was losing before this?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post

They thought Blu-ray was losing before this?
It's true, ask Lateralus

-t

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Thanks for the details.

Wasnt' there reports that Apple would let you finish movies AFTER the movie rental had expired ?

Time Machinations: Apple Lets You Keep iTunes Video Rentals Longer Than 24 Hours, No Hacks Required

Have you ever tried that ?

-t
AppleTV rentals aren't out yet.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 08:50 AM

You should consider buying a PS3 as it's $100 less and you can game with it. Even if you're not much of a gamer, it's still nice to have given it's cheaper than many dedicated players.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
You should consider buying a PS3 as it's $100 less and you can game with it. Even if you're not much of a gamer, it's still nice to have given it's cheaper than many dedicated players.
That doesn't make any sense. He's looking at a dual-format player and you're talking about gaming. If he went with the PS3 he'd have to buy an HD DVD player as well, making the setup more costly than the dual player (plus it'd take up more shelf space).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 09:24 AM

You can get a cheap HD-DVD player for $100. Then you'd have a PS3 and an HD-DVD player for the same price as that combo player.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 09:43 AM

And twice the shelf space, twice the inputs, and the PS3 sucks way more power down than a standalone player.

I understand that you guys really like the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, but it doesn't really make sense to recommend two devices to replace a dual-format player.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

I have to agree with jokell82 on that one.

Blu-ray supporters need to stop gloating and doing the hard sell on HD DVD supporters and those on the fence. If they're going to adopt the format, they will on their own time. People may want to buy a dual format player because, in addition to watching Blu-ray movies and buying into what's looking to be the winning format, (1) they have a sizable collection of HD DVD discs they don't want to sell, and/or (2) there are still HD DVD exclusive titles they want to watch. There's no telling when Universal or Paramount/Dreamworks will go Blu, and until then there's still temptation for some to buy Red. For these people, a PS3 can't offer a solution to that without another HD DVD player on the shelf.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

You know, I just had a thought....

If cable and satellite didn't hurt DVD sales, what makes people think that online access is going to hamper high-def disc sales? If you think about it, they're essentially the same - streamed movies. The fact that they're on a schedule may be one different factor, but I don't see streaming movies online (and having to buy ANOTHER piece of equipment to do so) is going to hurt high-def disc sales.
( Last edited by starman; Feb 12, 2008 at 11:04 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
I have to agree with jokell82 on that one.

Blu-ray supporters need to stop gloating and doing the hard sell on HD DVD supporters and those on the fence. If they're going to adopt the format, they will on their own time. People may want to buy a dual format player because, in addition to watching Blu-ray movies and buying into what's looking to be the winning format, (1) they have a sizable collection of HD DVD discs they don't want to sell, and/or (2) there are still HD DVD exclusive titles they want to watch. There's no telling when Universal or Paramount/Dreamworks will go Blu, and until then there's still temptation for some to buy Red. For these people, a PS3 can't offer a solution to that without another HD DVD player on the shelf.
Actually, insiders are saying that Paramount will go Blu in April, Universal over the summer.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Actually, insiders are saying that Paramount will go Blu in April, Universal over the summer.
I'd love for that to happen. Last I read, the HD DVD camp had convinced the studios to adopt a wait-and-see approach following the Warner announcement before making any decision to drop the format. But with smaller studios, Netflix, and CE manufacturers (Onkyo) dropping their support for HD DVD, Best Buy picking sides, and the Toshiba/MS price cuts barely making a dent in the 2:1 Blu-ray hardware and software sales leads, I doubt Universal and Paramount are liking what they're seeing.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 10:57 AM

With everything that HD DVD is losing lately, I don't know why studios and retailers are hanging onto it. Let's just get it overwith.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 11:00 AM

Isn't Paramount under contract??

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 11:02 AM

You know, I just had a thought....

If cable and satellite didn't hurt DVD sales, what makes people think that online access is going to hamper high-def disc sales? If you think about it, they're essentially the same - streamed movies. The fact that their on a schedule may be one different factor, but I don't see streaming movies online (and having to buy ANOTHER piece of equipment to do so) is going to hurt high-def disc sales.
On the one hand, I think the fact that it's "on demand" may favor VOD and download services. But with downloads, bandwidth is still going to be a problem in the immediate future and the time it takes for a regular consumer to download a movie can't be exactly called "on demand" in the instant gratification sense. Not to mention ISPs imposing supposed caps on monthly bandwidth usage or suggesting pay-per-GB schemes.

But you've got a point, cable, satellite, movie rentals, pirating all take a slice of that movie entertainment pie away from shiny silver platter disc media, but there's still going to be a market for it. I've said this before, I prefer to own the movies I buy. I'll rent movies I have a passing interest in and movies I haven't seen and want to try out. But in my mind, if I'm going to watch a movie more than 5 times in my lifetime, it's worth it to me to buy it rather than continue to rent it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 11:03 AM

Yes,but it's well known they have a clause about getting out of it if Warner goes Blu. They have.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 11:04 AM

Word is that Paramount has an out clause in their contract that would allow them to release titles in Blu-ray if there was a material change in circumstances (such as Warner going exclusive or HD DVD becoming a non-viable format).

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
A minus for me is the fact it lacks a coaxial output. My receiver's optical inputs are taken. How is the PS3 as a BD player? The one I have seen at BB come with a remote, which the older PS3's did not include.
45/47

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 11:25 AM

AppleTV rentals aren't out yet.
The same trick works in iTunes from what I've heard and what friends have told me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The same trick works in iTunes from what I've heard and what friends have told me.
Yes, that's what I was refering to.

While it remains to be seen if Apple goes the same route with AppleTV, it's not likely they will only allow it on iTunes, but not AppleTV.

-t

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 11:45 AM

Yes,but it's well known they have a clause about getting out of it if Warner goes Blu. They have.
Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Word is that Paramount has an out clause in their contract that would allow them to release titles in Blu-ray if there was a material change in circumstances (such as Warner going exclusive or HD DVD becoming a non-viable format).
Yeah I've heard those things too, but has anyone seen anything with any substance regarding this? I'd imagine that if Paramount could get out they would have already.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:28 PM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 01:58 PM

Wow. What a horrible response. If they're going to go out like that they should just throw in the towel completely.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 02:07 PM

I went into my BB store and asked if the player I was looking at was a profile 1.0 or 1.1 player. The sales associate look puzzled and as if he had no idea what I was talking about. It appears they have been told to play dumb when asked what profile a player is, so as to sell off the existing profile 1.0 players
45/47

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 02:11 PM

I do not think they have been told to act dumb. They hire them that way.
climber

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 02:12 PM

I went into my BB store and asked if the player I was looking at was a profile 1.0 or 1.1 player. The sales associate look puzzled and as if he had no idea what I was talking about. It appears they have been told to play dumb when asked what profile a player is, so as to sell off the existing profile 1.0 players
Or door number 2: that the sales people *are* dumb.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 02:25 PM

once it was obvious I had some idea what I was talking about he said it was a profile 1.0 player
45/47

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 02:55 PM

It's still infuriating that the worse of the two formats is going to win.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules