Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This is how Tricorders start.

This is how Tricorders start.
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 1, 2012, 05:42 PM

This Is NASA's Cancer-Sniffing Cellphone Sensor
It's a small chip (about the size of a postage stamp) that houses 32 nanosensor bars. Each bar is composed of a different nano-structure material. Because each sensor bar is unique it can respond to different chemicals in different ways, enabling it to not only differentiate between them, but also to monitor their relative levels, in real time.
The first usage was monitoring for fuel leaks around launch vehicles. They've been on the International Space Station since 2008, monitoring air-quality and checking for formaldehyde in the air. Future applications could include taking samples on asteroids and Mars missions.
It's primarily being developed to monitor carbon monoxide as well as chlorine, ammonia, and methane in your home.But these things could really be used anywhere because they're so small.
The most exciting potential use, though, is how it could diagnose and monitor people with medical conditions. For example, for diabetes patients there is a direct correlation between the level of acetone in their breath and the level of sugar in their blood.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2012, 10:46 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2012, 10:55 AM

Here, take an upvote.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2012, 10:59 AM

I'd rather no one had responded rather than you. Nothing personal, but if its the same one person giving me charity, it begins to reflect poorly on me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2012, 11:07 AM

My apologies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2012, 11:09 AM

By the way, I'm not actually serious. But this does seem to be our Lounge dynamic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
By the way, I'm not actually serious. But this does seem to be our Lounge dynamic.
I didn't think you were serious. The best snarky response I could come up with was to pretend you were.

Is that really our dynamic? I mean, you're definitely charitable to my threads, but I don't see myself doing (or needing to do) the opposite.

Here, I was just following the rule that reddit begets reddit, but was too lazy to make a penguin.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 11:50 AM

I predict this technology goes nowhere with medicine and safety, but somehow ushers in the age of smell-o-vision. What do I get if I win?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 11:53 AM

The west has become so lazy that we don't even want to type our thoughts in a diminishing returns forum. Our best bet would be to enroll in an Asian MacNN and basque in their flourishment/vibrancy.

Or develop a Dragon/Siri posting app because we are just so damn lazy. And the nineties are not coming back.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I predict this technology goes nowhere with medicine and safety, but somehow ushers in the age of smell-o-vision. What do I get if I win?
The tricorder is going nowhere with the current medicine-for-profit status quo. Some Chinese style state capitalism, aka cronyism, is needed to make sure a tricorder sees the light of day this decade.

andi*pandi
Feb 2, 2012, 12:07 PM

Would the computer's misdiagnosis rate be better or worse than a human doctor?

reader50
Administrator
Feb 2, 2012, 02:19 PM

You guys may remember the X Prize Foundation, which offered a few million for the first civilian space-launch vehicle. Well, now they are offering a $10 million prize for developing the first medical tricorder. Wikipedia page

subego, I expect results. And no wire nuts, please.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2012, 02:56 PM

A day without my wire nuts is like a day without sunshine.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 05:34 PM

A ticket to spy kids 4d (smellovision)

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
You guys may remember the X Prize Foundation, which offered a few million for the first civilian space-launch vehicle. Well, now they are offering a $10 million prize for developing the first medical tricorder. Wikipedia page

subego, I expect results. And no wire nuts, please.
When I saw the thread title this is what I was thinking of. Was it posted on slashdot recently? I'm sure that is where I remember it from.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2012, 10:10 PM

The Tricorder somehow scanned the whole body internally, like a super super scan, the NASA tech only uses chemical signatures that leave the body. That said, a lot of health problems cause the body to emit different chemicals than a healthy one, which is why we can train dogs to identify certain cancers. Biologists and physicists are working hard to refine the NASA stuff to analyze the presence of bacteria viruses abnormal chemicals not only gaseous but fluid as well. I believe that in less than 20 years we will have small handheld devices that can run a whole bunch of labs in a few minutes using that tech. Just look at the price drop in genomic testing over the last 5 years.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2012, 05:27 AM

I think a terahertz scanner would be fairly handy to have on a tricorder.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
A ticket to spy kids 4d (smellovision)
Not worth it, I demand 5 Ds or more. I withdraw my prediction.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2012, 02:18 PM

Not worth it, I demand 5 Ds or more. I withdraw my prediction.
Ds 5-12 are there too, they're just curled up too small to notice.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2012, 03:23 PM

I would reprogram it to tell me when some one is attracted to me or not lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules