Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Overall quality of the iPhone?

Overall quality of the iPhone?
GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 04:08 PM

Hi all,

So the iphone should come out in 2 days over here in France and I am wondering about the overall quality of the device.
Being an Apple product one certainly expects a robust hardware. I have seen the screen crash tests and they're pretty impressive.

However I have read several threads concerning bubbles under the screen as well as keys from the virtual keyboard that would not work for no apparent reasons... So I have to admit that I remain a little bit anxious on those last points.
Overall, what do you think about the phone quality after several weeks/months of usage? How would you compare this quality to your former device?

Thanks
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2007, 04:46 PM

There are two of them in my home and we haven't had any quality/build issues. All of our issues are software related, and most have already been fixed by software updates.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2007, 06:54 PM

Mine's in perfect shape too. I have to say I'm really impressed, but it also makes sense given lack of sliders or flip actions to slowly wear out over time.

I still think this was just an awesome purchase.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 11:55 PM

I have never owned a more quality product for the price. I am still tickled ever time I hold it as it feels solid being glass and metal over the usual plastic and more plastic.

The software to date is near perfect also.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 12:33 AM

It's the best phone I have ever owned. Period. Physical build quality, user interface and feature set are all exceptional. The only gripe I have is the lack of full exchange support, but fortunately I can live without it. For a consumer level user, I don't see that there is a better phone on the market.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 01:29 AM

This really is quite a quality product. I completely agree with gradient. There are a couple software wishes i have, but otherwise it just plain works. And works excellently.
The screen is in perfect shape since I got it about a month ago, and there's no feeling that I have to baby the thing... I only want to baby it because it looks so nice
I thought I got the first scratch on it after only having it four days... turned out it was just a little sticky piece of food. The glass on the front is still perfect on mine, as is the back; the back is not mirrored, so it should stay better for longer.

Recommended.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 10:30 AM

+1 on the software wishlist... We all have it to some extent.

As for the build quality, it's top-notch. I have some scratches on the chrome ring around the iPod's front edge, but I believe they're (ironically) from the protective case I use. Other than that, she's cherry.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2007, 02:40 PM

The iPhone is a very solid gadget. Mine has been perfect, even after a few pretty rough drops onto the hard floor. There will always be some with issues, but overall I think it is a really well built phone. The screen in particular is very rugged.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2007, 07:56 PM

I also find the screen to be rugged
I have no film over it
dont remember ever scratching it but im sure it has brushed up against things here and there
yet when I put it to sleep and take a good look at the screen I have not seen a scratch at all

only the normal smudges
I am really amazed at the screen quality

also the phone heavy but the solid feel is also nice

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 10:30 AM

I've had mind since the day it came out, and I can tell you I cannot think of another product I own that is such high quality. I have dropped the phone a few times and this has caused the metal around the edges to get scuffed up a bit, but the glass screen is still perfect, and the overall experience is fantastic!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 11:42 AM

The glass on my phone is still great (got on day 2), no scratches or anything. The chrome bezel around the screen is easily scratched though. I dropped my phone onto pavement from about 2 feet up and it put a couple dents in the corners but otherwise no damage.

Probably the only thing that drives me nuts about this phone is I need to clean the screen way too often for my tastes, but this is just a cosmetic issue. If I'm using the screen any fingerprints / smudges don't affect screen readability.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User View Post
The glass on my phone is still great (got on day 2), no scratches or anything. The chrome bezel around the screen is easily scratched though. I dropped my phone onto pavement from about 2 feet up and it put a couple dents in the corners but otherwise no damage.

Probably the only thing that drives me nuts about this phone is I need to clean the screen way too often for my tastes, but this is just a cosmetic issue. If I'm using the screen any fingerprints / smudges don't affect screen readability.
I second that.. except i've had mine from day 1 and the screen is perfecto
I expected the chrome part to scratch.. but what can you do.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 10:57 PM

I've used many "smart"phones, and I would have to say the iPhone is overall the highest quality. It's very sturdy, and for the whole front being basically a screen, it's incredibly scratch resistant.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2007, 04:20 AM

Hi guys thanks for all those answers, i got my iPhone last night as it launched in preview in France at 6.30pm
i'm glad most of you have had a good experience with it
Since I heard a lot about the chrome scratches i got this simple transparent rigd plastic case that you clip to the iphone on the back and cover. I might also invest in a leather case someday

Have a good day
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
It's the best phone I have ever owned. Period. Physical build quality, user interface and feature set are all exceptional. The only gripe I have is the lack of full exchange support, but fortunately I can live without it. For a consumer level user, I don't see that there is a better phone on the market.
What's wrong with the Exchange support? My wife's exchange account works perfectly.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Nov 30, 2007, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
Hi guys thanks for all those answers, i got my iPhone last night as it launched in preview in France at 6.30pm
i'm glad most of you have had a good experience with it
Since I heard a lot about the chrome scratches i got this simple transparent rigd plastic case that you clip to the iphone on the back and cover. I might also invest in a leather case someday

Have a good day
So just enjoy it .

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
What's wrong with the Exchange support? My wife's exchange account works perfectly.
Microsoft Exchange only works on the iPhone if your corporate IT department has IMAP opened up. This is not done by most IT departments because it is considered a security risk. Though that isn't necessarily the case, it is another set of ports opened up on the firewall that has to be policed. Most IT departments are unwilling to do this because of either laziness or a lack of staffing.

The only other way around this is a third party like Synchronica. This presents two problems: (1) you must give your username/password to a third party, which is banned by 99% of big corporate IT departments and (2) it places a really unprofessional "sent by" tag in all e-mails.

Your wife should consider herself lucky. Most of us don't have that luxury.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2007, 11:47 AM

Even though you already got your phone, and some extras to protect it seems.
Overall I am very pleased with the phone, there are some days I may get frustrated with it, but it usually has to do with me doing to many things at a single time, thus causing the phone to slow down. The build quality is top of the line, and I only have one scratch on the back of my phone just above the Apple logo, which I truly have no clue where it came from. I keep my phone in a case which protects the front also, made by Sena, but even with the scratch it has not made the phone any worse it just shows I use my phone everyday and how much I need & it has helped me.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as many of us here are.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules