Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mozy.com - Online Backup Service for Mac

Mozy.com - Online Backup Service for Mac
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 04:00 PM

Following Mozy's announcement of the beta program for Mac users, I'd like to try something along the lines of the old Gmail invites.

Basically, Mozy is offering an additional 256MB of storage space for both the referrer and the subscriber to the free 2GB storage/unlimited transfer plan. So, I'd like to start a refer-subscribe chain so that MacNN forum users can both test and benefit from our collective power.

I'd suggest that if you grab the subscribe code (starting with my post), leave a reply that you have used the code, and once your account is established and you've run a test backup, come back and leave your code at the end of the post so that the next person can use you as the referrer.

Here's to hoping this works:

https://mozy.com/?ref=SVU4AA
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2007, 06:04 PM

Cool, thanks. Looks like a nice service, though the biggest worry with this sort of thing is that the company will simply go out of business.

Filed a quick bug report, because Mozy expected the user to be a member of the 'admin' group, while I have my everyday account be a non-admin for a wee bit more security.

I used your code (I'm pretty sure it worked), and have a happy little backup of my addressbook data now.

I'll post my code once a few more people have used yours, since it seems more useful to me if you get a solid 1GB of extra space.
( Last edited by Mithras; Apr 26, 2007 at 06:13 PM. )

legacyb4  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 12:48 AM

Mithras,

Thanks for thinking of that. It's really not clear if you max out on 1GB or during their "limited" time offer you can get more.

Feel free to post your code since there's no sense in holding people up!

Spreading the love.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2007, 11:23 AM

I signed up with legacyb4's link. Anyone else want free backup?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2007, 04:04 AM

I signed up, but so far haven't been able to get it to actually do a backup. Maybe I need to restart and try again.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 04:47 AM

I'll go ahead and toss my referral code into the ring now, then.
https://mozy.com/?code=G7EHQN

m4c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2007, 03:24 PM

I signed up using the referral posted here.

Here's mine: https://mozy.com/?ref=6HRNY2
if someone wants to get free 256MB and also help me out.

kelso
Forum Regular
May 7, 2007, 09:08 AM

I signed up.

Here my link

https://mozy.com/?ref=MR5WYG

kernelbinary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2007, 07:39 PM

I'm signed up too!

Here's my link:
https://mozy.com/?ref=MNR7SD

Or, if you want to put in the referral code:
MNR7SD

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 11:07 AM

Sorry to resurrect this zombie thread, but I found it when looking for info here about mozy, and I think the referral link still worked!

Here's mine:

https://mozy.com/?ref=SBWLZM

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2008, 04:37 PM

How do people fine the backup speed? I have 100GB plus and a 100MB line.
thanks

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
How do people fine the backup speed? I have 100GB plus and a 100MB line.
thanks
Do you mean FIND their backup speed ?

And what's a 100MB line ?

-t

workindog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2008, 12:09 PM

Mozy for Mac has been a nightmare for me. I have a very high-speed DSL connection, a new MacBook Pro, and Leopard. I also used it on a Powerbook running Tiger.

My first tech support request, which came within a day of using it, went unresponded to for about 5 days. That was not the only time an inordinate delay for tech support occurred.

But the main problem was, the software just did NOT work! I signed up at the end of January, and here in early April, Mozy has not succeeded in backing up my 60 GB of data! I have had it running several times daily. The software kept quitting, or connecting but failing to actually upload anything. I exchanged email with multiple tech support people, and went through about 5 upgrades, each upgrade promising to fix the problem that was stopping me from uploading data.

I cancelled today after an upgrade to the most recent version failed to work at all, despite several uninstall/reinstall procedures.

IMHO, Mozy for Mac is not even reliable enough to qualify for a Beta test status. I do personally know ONE Mozy for Mac user for whom this actually seems to work. He is happy. But it seems possible from internet reviews that he is in the minority.

In response to my repeated attempts to problem-solve for Mozy, they extended my contract by 2 months, for free. But I found that the amount of time I was spending trying to get Mozy to work was not worth "free," even.

Good luck to Mozy, and I hope they get their sluggish technical support times improved, and that someday they have a product worthy of marketing to the Mac community. We Mac users expect better.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by workindog View Post
Mozy for Mac has been a nightmare for me. I have a very high-speed DSL connection, a new MacBook Pro, and Leopard. I also used it on a Powerbook running Tiger.
Likewise. I find it easier to use Time machine at work and at home which ensures I have my data in two locations. I had no luck getting any volume of data up to Mozy in anything resembling a practical speed. USB drives are cheap ad fast.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2008, 05:52 PM

I experienced similar Mozy problems, though it seemed to be working the last time I tried it with an updated version. I never had to try a restore, though, so I can't really vouch for it. My new MacBook came with a free year of .mac, so I thought I'd mosey on over to that and see how well it worked -- but alas, Backup doesn't seem to be working either, though I can drag and drop my files and folders to my iDisk and Backup does seem to be backing up settings. Just got an email from .mac tech support which prescribes a plan of action but haven't had time to test it yet.

I also just got Time Capsule -- and good thing, too, because two days later, my MacBook hard drive died. Two weeks old, and I get the click of death, folder with question mark, etc. I'm headed to the genius bar now with MacBook and Time Capsule in hand. Otherwise, because BAckup wasn't working automatically, I'll lose a week or two of unbacked up work, because that's the latest .mac backup. Didn't expect to be testing out my backup strategy so soon, but it just confirms how important backups are. Glad I had a Time Capsule -- now I sure hope the TC worked....

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2008, 04:34 PM

brettcamp, I'm interested on how long it takes TC to restore data. I'm assuming the restore will take place by wired connection?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 09:19 PM

No, the restore was done wirelessly -- when you boot up the restored disk and it goes through the usual set up procedure, it gives you the option of restoring from a Time Machine backup. Click that, and then the Mac detects the TC wireless network. Join that, and the rest happens automatically. I restored about 90 gigs worth of material in about three or four hours. I set it up, rushed off to dinner and a play, and it was done when I got back. It's really seamless as advertised. What a relief!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 01:11 PM

I'm a Mozy subscriber and all is well. I like having an offsite backup for critical data, just in case. I use time machine for machine settings and applications and a drobo for all data.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 04:03 PM

Have any of you guys looked into Amazon S3 for offsite backup?

desertmac
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2008, 07:03 PM

I have looked into a number of the options: Mozy, Amazon S3, SugarSync, and .Mac. Ultimately, I decided to go with Amazon S3 with JungleDisk for my archived data (about 10 GBs). Amazon S3 by itself is decidedly UN-Mac like, so I first tried Transmit first with Amazon S3, and although it worked, I had a problem with deleting/restoring some database files, so I went with JungleDisk. Their version 1.0 software is ok; 2.0 promises to be a lot better. All in all the S3 service is a little quirky but you can't beat the price.

For current and critical data, I use .Mac. I prefer the easy integration with Leopard. I use Transmit to mirror my data from my MBP to my iDisk. Very simple and straightforward.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by desertmac View Post
I have looked into a number of the options: Mozy, Amazon S3, SugarSync, and .Mac. Ultimately, I decided to go with Amazon S3 with JungleDisk for my archived data (about 10 GBs). Amazon S3 by itself is decidedly UN-Mac like, so I first tried Transmit first with Amazon S3, and although it worked, I had a problem with deleting/restoring some database files, so I went with JungleDisk. Their version 1.0 software is ok; 2.0 promises to be a lot better. All in all the S3 service is a little quirky but you can't beat the price.

For current and critical data, I use .Mac. I prefer the easy integration with Leopard. I use Transmit to mirror my data from my MBP to my iDisk. Very simple and straightforward.
Can you SFTP to Amazon S3, or is it straight FTP only?

desertmac
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2008, 07:10 PM

That's a good question. JungleDisk encrypts the data going to S3, but I don't know if it uses SFTP or some other protocol. When I was using Transmit, I was using FTP, but I don't know that SFTP wouldn't work.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Can you SFTP to Amazon S3, or is it straight FTP only?
Originally Posted by desertmac View Post
That's a good question. JungleDisk encrypts the data going to S3, but I don't know if it uses SFTP or some other protocol. When I was using Transmit, I was using FTP, but I don't know that SFTP wouldn't work.
The latest version of CyberDuck (still Beta) can access Amazon S3 as well.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 09:55 PM

I'll have to look into this, I just want to daily/weekly rsync to Amazon S3, I don't want to use a GUI application.

Forum Links
Forum Rules