Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So....NIN was amazing last night

So....NIN was amazing last night
starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 08:37 AM

Caught NIN for the first time last night. I would have seen them earlier but I could never get anyone to go. This time I decided to go alone. My wife said she'd go but she's not into NIN at all and wouldn't survive a mosh pit .

Anyway, to make a long story short, I procrastinated getting VIP tickets and wound up with seats. I decided this week to try and find floor seats and found someone on echoingthesound.org who was selling a GA ticket. Did the swap, found someone to buy my ticket, all was well.

What an amazing f* show. Best I've seen ever, and I've been to a lot of shows in the last 22 years. The visuals were the best I've ever seen. The crowd was amazing. Little mosh pits formed where I was but nobody got hurt. Trent made a little speech about how he looks forward to playing this area (and no, he doesn't say that at every show).

So, if you can see them, even if you like them a little, do yourself a favor and go.

Pics/vids to follow later.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Caught NIN for the first time last night. I would have seen them earlier but I could never get anyone to go. This time I decided to go alone. My wife said she'd go but she's not into NIN at all and wouldn't survive a mosh pit .

Anyway, to make a long story short, I procrastinated getting VIP tickets and wound up with seats. I decided this week to try and find floor seats and found someone on echoingthesound.org who was selling a GA ticket. Did the swap, found someone to buy my ticket, all was well.

What an amazing f* show. Best I've seen ever, and I've been to a lot of shows in the last 22 years. The visuals were the best I've ever seen. The crowd was amazing. Little mosh pits formed where I was but nobody got hurt. Trent made a little speech about how he looks forward to playing this area (and no, he doesn't say that at every show).

So, if you can see them, even if you like them a little, do yourself a favor and go.

Pics/vids to follow later.
Saw him in Toledo the other night. Trent HATES the Seagate Center.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 11:14 AM

He said specifically that he was looking forward to coming to NJ, and since people report on what Trent says at shows, he HAS NOT said that at many other shows. This is an awesome place to do a show and the fans here are great. I met a lot of great people, moreso than most shows I go to.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2008, 01:14 PM

Last saw them 14 years ago (after Downward Spiral). Am I that old?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2008, 02:46 PM

I'd really like to see them live
we don't have time to stop for gas

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2008, 11:48 PM

I saw them for the first time ever at Mohegan Sun earlier this month. The visuals were amazing....really well done and fun to watch. I can't wait to see them again!

Have you heard about the google earth/maps treasure hunt? You can download a .klm file to track when they add a "treasure" to the map. From what I understand people are finding postcards signed by Trent and are promised a special prize at the end of the tour.

Here's a link for some info: treasure hunt

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2008, 11:53 PM

Peter,

I noticed you're in Cambridge...is that Cambridge, MA in the USA or are you from the UK? If you're in the US they have a concert in Worcester, MA on November 9th. It's a rescheduled show that was supposed to be played on 8-8-08 but Trent Reznor was sick and now it's in November.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 04:33 AM

UK sadly.
we don't have time to stop for gas

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 12:22 PM

Bought the Year Zero CD today (CD > mp3) - absolutely awesome, albeit slightly different. And the way that the CD changes color is perrty cool.

NIN rock.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah, the first time I took the CD out I thought "wasn't this black when I put it in?"

Do some reading on that CD. There are a bunch of clues on it.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Do some reading on that CD. There are a bunch of clues on it.
I googled the changing color thing when i realized what happened (midst a lot of confuion) - wikipedia has a lot of information on the whole game that Trent set up. I think it is kind of cool - but something for some person that has too much time on their hands. Although I really do appreciate the fact that he did it and actually put some more time into it than just the recording process, and makes it worth the R250 (roughly $35) that I paid for it.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 03:11 PM

Edit.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Feb 28, 2010 at 07:19 AM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Last saw them 14 years ago (after Downward Spiral). Am I that old?
Saw them at the first Lollapalooza, 1993.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 08:19 PM

I saw them in the lost city of atlantis a thousand years ago.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I saw them in the lost city of atlantis a thousand years ago.
Wasn't trying to start a competition, just lamenting the aging process. I find it strange to hear high school kids telling me how great the Chili Peppers are or that they have no idea who Dave Matthews is. One benefit to all of this is that what I listened to in the late 80s and early to mid 90s is now on a classic rock station here, so I don't have to hear Staind or Disturbed anymore.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2008, 05:24 PM

So for someone who hasn't listened to them since 1993, what album should I pick up to get into their music again?

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2008, 06:15 PM

Alligator,

My quick answer would be either Year Zero or The Fragile.

The Slip is the most current release. It's free to download from the NIN website. You have to sign up to get the download link but there's no cost at all. Since it's DRM free you can get it from your favorite torrent site (if you have one) without worry of any legal troubles. Trent Reznor is not under contract with any major labels.

Ghosts I (the first 9 tracks) are free as well on the NIN website. The whole album I-IV is $5 if you choose the digital files. These are instrumental tracks but very good ones IMO.

Year Zero is my favorite album from NIN. I recommend you purchase this one.

To me With Teeth is a good album but not a favorite of mine. It's certainly worth listening to but for my taste not at the top of my list.

The Fragile is a two disc release. Polls made by NIN fans usually have this one as there #1 or #2 favorite album, most of the time. I feel The Fragile has a solid variety of styles from energetic and loud to mellow and quiet.

Also, all of these can be heard on iTunes.
Enjoy!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
So for someone who hasn't listened to them since 1993, what album should I pick up to get into their music again?
I liked The Downward Spiral, but honestly, it's been downhill since Pretty Hate Machine. Bar was just too high, really.

jersey
Senior User
Aug 31, 2008, 11:34 AM

They are awesome live. One of the best in fact (I would put them second or third on the live list after Nirvana and Floyd).

However I haven't seen them live in a few years, which is sad when I think about it. A couple of the best times were around Pretty Hate Machine and when they toured with David Bowie. Being from Cleveland I had the chance to see them a lot, especially early on.

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2008, 12:58 PM

It was a great show eh? I got some comp tickets through my company. We provided programmers for the IR field media servers for when he "plays" the video wall. He's a really sharp guy, he understands quite a bit about every aspect of the latest innovative video playback equipment. Of course, he's still a raging prick and fired 2 of our programmers because he didn't like them. Guess it comes with the territory
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by BreadRecipe View Post
It was a great show eh? I got some comp tickets through my company. We provided programmers for the IR field media servers for when he "plays" the video wall. He's a really sharp guy, he understands quite a bit about every aspect of the latest innovative video playback equipment. Of course, he's still a raging prick and fired 2 of our programmers because he didn't like them. Guess it comes with the territory
I guess Trent showed who was in charge.

Oh wait...Jobs does the same thing and puts out awesome products. Huh. Pattern?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by BreadRecipe View Post
Of course, he's still a raging prick and fired 2 of our programmers because he didn't like them.
I'm sure it was completely unprovoked?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2008, 03:58 PM

Date added for Atlantic City on Nov. 6th. I'm going!

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2008, 12:25 AM

I finally posted my pics. Not the best, but pretty good. I was enjoying the show too much to care about picture quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/istarma...7607369159561/

Forum Links
Forum Rules