Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 39)
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Over on the IGN boards, there are about 3 people who have actually posted about playing the PS3. I think that over 90% of these are going to ebay.

This is such a weird launch. I'm really curious to see how this is all going to play out.
I'm on the IGN boards too. this is kinda ridiculous

Sony should tell eBay to stop all PS3 auctions or something...

or at least think of a way to combat this for the ps4. they should've just made the prices higher themselves and not lose $300 on every system!
blah

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I find it hard to believe Japan doesn't have the full 100,000 gamers that want a PS3 to play.
I'm sure there are millions of people in Japan who want them. But from what I have read, it was very hard to actually find one. And most (normal) people aren't willing to stand in line for hours or days to get one. In fact, if Japan really hasn't sold out of PS3s (something I find a little hard to believe) I imagine it's because most people simply thought it would be impossible to get a PS3 and didn't try checking the out-of-the-way stores for them.

I really do wonder if anyone is actually buying them to play, though, especially in the US. Few people are such hardcore gamers that they'll wait in line for days for a PS3. They see it purely as a money-making opportunity, and admittedly making $1000+ profit for standing around for a while doesn't sound too bad. It's looking like only the super-rich (the people actually buying these machines off of eBay for $2000+) will have PS3s for the foreseeable future.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 12:54 PM

A 50% price reduction? I suspect that'll take at least 3 years.
Exactly.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
Sony should tell eBay to stop all PS3 auctions or something...
Could they legally do this?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Exactly.
I'm not sure I'd buy one that late into the cycle, unless Blu-Ray had won the format war.

If it had lost? No way.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 12:59 PM

I'm not sure I'd buy one that late into the cycle, unless Blu-Ray had won the format war.

If it had lost? No way.
Again...exactly.

Why pay $600 for something when the reason that it costs so much might go down the tube?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 12:59 PM

I'll get one sometime next year if there are some games I'd like to play. None of the launch games interest me.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:02 PM

Again...exactly.

Why pay $600 for something when the reason that it costs so much might go down the tube?
Unfortunately whatever system Grand Theft Auto 4 turns out better on will most likely decide where I take the plunge.

I'm actually very thankful its a year away. Lots of other info should pop up to factor into the decision between now and then.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:02 PM

Side note: I wonder how much sleep people like IGN editors are losing trying to review all of these launch games, particularly the Wii games, considering they didn't get a Wii until about a Wiik ago.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:04 PM

Unfortunately whatever system Grand Theft Auto 4 turns out better on will most likely decide where I take the plunge.

I'm actually very thankful its a year away. Lots of other info should pop up to factor into the decision between now and then.
I bet you spent hundreds of hours just "free playing," killing random pedestrians, didn't you?

When GTA3 came out, my friends and I spent countless hours watching each other run around the city, finding secrets and causing as much chaos as possible. I've never played Vice City or San Andreas.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:06 PM

until about a Wiik ago.
Hey, that's my gag! I'll kill you!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:10 PM

Hey, that's my gag! I'll kill you!
Muuuaha ha ha ha ha ha!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:12 PM

I bet you spent hundreds of hours just "free playing," killing random pedestrians, didn't you?
What are you trying to say?

When GTA3 came out, my friends and I spent countless hours watching each other run around the city, finding secrets and causing as much chaos as possible. I've never played Vice City or San Andreas.
My guilty pleasure was the car chase. Nothing more satisfying than running the cops ragged until they gotta call in SWAT, National Guard, tanks finally. (Always cool when you hit a unique jump and you get to see the cops flying behind you and in slow-mo, usually landing poorly)

Nothing more satisfying than managing to steal one of those tanks, too.

After that, I usually practiced sniping my least favorite gang at the time.

In Vice City, I went for motorcycle rides (to this day, hearing Dance Hall Days makes me think of riding a motorcycle at dusk... Yeah, that many hours)

Finally, in San Andreas, playing Black Jack, flying & parachuting, and backwoods off-roading were the time-killers there.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:19 PM

Muuuaha ha ha ha ha ha!
Don't you feel Wiird, doing other peoples jokes?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:19 PM

My guilty pleasure was the car chase. Nothing more satisfying than running the cops ragged until they gotta call in SWAT, National Guard, tanks finally. (Always cool when you hit a unique jump and you get to see the cops flying behind you and in slow-mo, usually landing poorly)

In Vice City, I went for motorcycle rides (to this day, hearing Dance Hall Days makes me think of riding a motorcycle at dusk... Yeah, that many hours)

Finally, in San Andreas, playing Black Jack, flying & parachuting, and backwoods off-roading were the time-killers there.
Summary: you really like GTA

?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2006, 01:21 PM

San Andreas two-player mode was a blast, definitely made it my favorite of the series. I liked flying, motorcycling, and bicycling (down the interstate and bunny-hopping cars).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:21 PM

Don't you feel Wiird, doing other peoples jokes?
Wii're not going to discuss this any further. Didn't you defend Dane Cook and his joke-stealing ways?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:23 PM

Uh ohhhhhh...PS3 Technical Troubles

I have a feeling these are some issues (particularly the 1080i HDTV) that people are going to be talking about for several months, if not throughout the PS3's lifespan.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:24 PM

Summary: you really like GTA
It's well suited to my personality.

It was noted when I was a very young that I used to find the most random aspects of a game and find them entertaining giving the game new life.

With an open-ended world like GTA... heaven.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
San Andreas two-player mode was a blast, definitely made it my favorite of the series. I liked flying, motorcycling, and bicycling (down the interstate and bunny-hopping cars).
I liked to two-player rampages ALOT, but the random co-op was aimless and difficult.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:25 PM

Didn't you defend Dane Cook and his joke-stealing ways?

Only if said stolen joke ended with an emphatic "Suck my back!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:30 PM

Only if said stolen joke ended with an emphatic "Suck my back!"
This argument is a preview of every thread that we both enter for the next 3 years.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2006, 01:31 PM

I liked to two-player rampages ALOT, but the random co-op was aimless and difficult.
We'd do stuff like see how fast we could kill each other, or try and attach mines to each other, or drive around taking out all the taxis, or stuff like that. Make up our own games.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:32 PM

I think from now on, it's going to be have to be used at the end of every argument.

"Whatever, Dane lover."

"Suck my back!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:33 PM

I think from now on, it's going to be have to be used at the end of every argument.

"Whatever, Dane lover."

"Suck my back!"
What a stupid idea...

...Dane lover.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Make up our own games.
Trust me, I have endless appreciation for that. But being tied to one screen (and being unable to agree on using an inverted/uninverted axis) really killed it for me and my buddy.

We just smashed our rampage records instead.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:36 PM

...Dane lover.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:48 PM

Uh ohhhhhh...PS3 Technical Troubles

I have a feeling these are some issues (particularly the 1080i HDTV) that people are going to be talking about for several months, if not throughout the PS3's lifespan.

So far it is just software problems so it beats the hardware problems the other systems seemed to suffer.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
So far it is just software problems so it beats the hardware problems the other systems seemed to suffer.
However, various gamers and retailers (with demonstration kiosks) have reported to IGN and on message boards instances of systems overheating -- we have yet to hear of a PS3 being put out of commission permanently (as with some Xbox 360s as well as early models of PlayStation 1) at this time.
Finally, there is the upscaling issue -- more specifically, the system's current (and possibly permanent) lack of upscaling functionality. The lack of the functionality itself is a bummer and a major sticking point for some PS3 shoppers -- for one, the Xbox 360 does analog HD upscaling and downscaling in any system mode, and without the feature, backward-compatible PS2 and PS1 games as well as DVD videos will be displayed in their native resolution (maxing out at 480p for DVDs and most HD-enhanced PS2 games, and drawing just 480i in PS1 games as well as the majority of PS2 games.)
Sony Computer Entertainment has not yet commented on this issue, although we're hoping to get an update as soon as possible about the circumstances. It is unknown if this lack of upscaling is purely a lacking software issue in the early PS3s -- something that could be patched later on in the PS3's life -- or a deeper hardware issue. Of the rival systems on the market, the Xbox 360 can do scaling over its component cable outputs so that any game will display at any resolution at any given time (it does not have a HDMI output as PS3 does for there to be an issue with digital HD output/scaling); the Nintendo Wii meanwhile is reported to be maxed out at 480p, so it inherently has no 720p conflicts but also does not scale images up.
Do you know something everyone else doesn't, or did you just not read the article?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 02:04 PM

I've been told that it is and it isn't easily fixable. From what I hear, scaling is pretty processor intensive, so just about everything that does scaling does it with hardware. So sony could not simply add a patch to fix this. However, they can just make sure that every game that is put out supports all resolutions and that would also solve the problem.

I'm guessing that they can patch a game like reistance and get it to support 1080i, but who knows.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 02:07 PM

Isn't that what multi-core cells are for?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2006, 02:11 PM

Trust me, I have endless appreciation for that. But being tied to one screen (and being unable to agree on using an inverted/uninverted axis) really killed it for me and my buddy.

We just smashed our rampage records instead.
Yeah, agreed. And being required to be in one vehicle at a time was lame. You could get two boats at a time but the camera usually flipped out.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 02:18 PM

I really hope the next GTA will allow for two player simultaneous online.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 02:30 PM

I've been told that it is and it isn't easily fixable. From what I hear, scaling is pretty processor intensive, so just about everything that does scaling does it with hardware. So sony could not simply add a patch to fix this. However, they can just make sure that every game that is put out supports all resolutions and that would also solve the problem.

I'm guessing that they can patch a game like reistance and get it to support 1080i, but who knows.
It is a software issue, however, I'm guessing that due to the performance of the games at launch, they may have intentionally disabled this, as it is pretty processor intensive.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:02 PM

Do you know something everyone else doesn't, or did you just not read the article?
Has there been any conformation of any of this from sony or do you know something we don't?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2006, 03:21 PM

So when something is wrong with the PS3 we need "conformation" but you'll take anybody's word that the Wii is crap?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
So when something is wrong with the PS3 we need "conformation" but you'll take anybody's word that the Wii is crap?
We still need conformation that it doesn't do high def?

What other hardware problems are people reporting with the Wii that we need confirmation on?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 03:24 PM

Apparently the PS3 is not immune from insanely bad launch titles:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire PS3 Review, Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire Playstation 3 Review
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Apparently the PS3 is not immune from insanely bad launch titles
Stupid sony! That is totally their fault!

Is the Wii immune?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 03:30 PM

Is the Wii immune?
Well, from the way you act, Wii launch titles are bad simply because their Wii launch titles, therefore the PS3 launch titles must be simply awesome.

I think this plays more into the belief that it's the games, not the systems, that matter.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2006, 03:30 PM

Is the Wii immune?
So which is it? Does Ubisoft's crappy-looking racing game reflect badly on the Wii in general or not? Because surely you can't argue that and turn around and say that this crappy-looking Gundam game doesn't reflect on the PS3.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
So which is it? Does Ubisoft's crappy-looking racing game reflect badly on the Wii in general or not? Because surely you can't argue that and turn around and say that this crappy-looking Gundam game doesn't reflect on the PS3.
What you want me to say? The wii doesn't have nice graphics no matter what you say, it just can't. This developer ****ed up.

We know the PS3 can do amazing graphics. The launch titles are all bla but many of them look good. If you look at any first gen games for ANY system they all look like crap.

The difference is by second gen games will look much better for the PS3 and Wii but the wii's well never be great.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:36 PM

Well, from the way you act, Wii launch titles are bad simply because their Wii launch titles, therefore the PS3 launch titles must be simply awesome.

I think this plays more into the belief that it's the games, not the systems, that matter.
No, Wii games look bad because they look the same as the 5 year old gamecube. We all know the best we can hope for on the Wii is 480p so what else is there to say?

Go ahead, do that bit about "concentrating on gaming" bit.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:45 PM

If you look at any first gen games for ANY system they all look like crap
Yes and no, while future games always look better, just about every launch in the past has shown us something that we had never seen before.

The PS3 launch hasn't shown us anything that can't be done on the 360. That's not exactly normal.

Looking back on other consoles that launched a year or so later then the competition...

Halo looked a lot better then anything we had seen on the PS2 at the time. Super Mario 64 looked better then anything we had seen on the PS1. Super Mario World and the other launch SNES games looked noticeably better then current Genesis games.

Normally you can see the difference a year makes. In the case of the PS3, I just don't see it.

In fact, I have yet to see a single game for the PS3, both in the launch and coming up, that looks better then Gears of War.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:53 PM

The PS3 launch hasn't shown us anything that can't be done on the 360. That's not exactly normal.
You're totally right but I said that was going to be the case last year.

Hold first gen 360 games against the PS3 and the PS3's launch games look better.

Put second gen 360 games against the PS3 first gen and the 360 is better.

First gen PS2 games look like PS1.

Wait till second gen PS3 games and they will look the same and better than the 360's 3rd gen. The year head start was a good move for MS. If I had no systems it is much smarter to go out today and get a 360 as it has more and better games.

The DS also had a problem with launch titles as none of them went online till months later, the developers didn't know what do do with the controls. After 8 months things got much better.

Even the Wii isn't doing online games this year.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 04:15 PM

Has there been any conformation of any of this from sony or do you know something we don't?
I'm getting this from several sites that have already been testing their PS3s. If IGN isn't well-informed, then who is? They've asked for Sony to comment, and they haven't received a response yet.

And I know the rest of your posts since this one have been turned around on the Wii, but c'mon...are you incapable of saying anything good about the Wii, and nothing bad about the PS3?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 04:37 PM

Wait till second gen PS3 games and they will look the same and better than the 360's 3rd gen. The year head start was a good move for MS. If I had no systems it is much smarter to go out today and get a 360 as it has more and better games.
We're already getting games dropping frames on the PS3. Hate to break it to you, but that means the people are already using the PS3's power to it's limits. From here on out it's optimization that's going to be the key. And we're not going to see the sort of gains in optimization that would allow the PS3 to surpass the XBox 360.

Which is why my second console will be an XBox 360. Plus XB360 already has the games.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2006, 04:49 PM

We're already getting games dropping frames on the PS3. Hate to break it to you, but that means the people are already using the PS3's power to it's limits.
No, that just means that they aren't coding for it well yet. No matter how powerful the system, you can still make it perform like crap if you don't code for it properly. That's not to say that I necessarily agree that the PS3 is going to be better than the Xbox 360 -- we'll have to wait and see about that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 04:57 PM

We're already getting games dropping frames on the PS3. Hate to break it to you, but that means the people are already using the PS3's power to it's limits.
Not really. It could mean, for example, that they're overtaxing the GPU and neglecting the CPU. Or any number of other gross misuses of system resources. It's possible to make an AppleScript pin the processor in a G5 (or was last I checked, anyway), but that doesn't mean you can say, "Whoa, a simple little script uses the G5's power to its limits!"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 05:02 PM

We're already getting games dropping frames on the PS3. Hate to break it to you, but that means the people are already using the PS3's power to it's limits. From here on out it's optimization that's going to be the key. And we're not going to see the sort of gains in optimization that would allow the PS3 to surpass the XBox 360.

Which is why my second console will be an XBox 360. Plus XB360 already has the games.
/sigh

Don't you learn anything?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules