Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > IMAC Issue

IMAC Issue
coyinnc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2003, 10:04 AM

I am currently working on an IMAC running Mac OS9.

Every time I try to run an executable such as Internet Explorer or Sherlock, I get the following error message.

"The application "internet explorer" could not be opened because
+>>OTUtilityLib<<+ could not be found."

Any body have any ideas on how to fix this issue???

Thanks in advance

Dwight

jedi2187
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 10:48 AM

Sounds like an issue with the OpenTransport software. Have you tried booting with Mac OS 9-only extensions, see if that helps you get online?
Keep us posted!

coyinnc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 12:21 PM

Unfortunately I am normally an IBM tech, so don't have alot of experience with Imacs.

That being said, how do I boot with "Mac OS 9-only extensions"??

Also is there a way I can uninstall and reinstall the Open Transport extension software???

Thanks

Dwight

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jedi2187:
Sounds like an issue with the OpenTransport software. Have you tried booting with Mac OS 9-only extensions, see if that helps you get online?
Keep us posted!
[/QUOTE}

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 09:18 PM

In the extension manager control panel

volume/system folder/control panel/ Extension Manager

there should be a drop down menu where it says mac os 9 only, and that will give you those extension.

Now these effects don't happen until u restart.

coyinnc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the help.

It fixed the OTutility problem, now do U know how I can
reinstall the Open Transport??

ALso I can't get any URL's, do U know how to reset/ reconfigure
tcp/ip on an Imac???

such as in windows its either "winipcfg" for win me and below
or from dos prompt its "ipconfig"?!?!

Thanks in advance!!
Dwight

Originally posted by Dex13:
In the extension manager control panel

volume/system folder/control panel/ Extension Manager

there should be a drop down menu where it says mac os 9 only, and that will give you those extension.

Now these effects don't happen until u restart.

coyinnc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 05:43 PM

I am guessing here, but I get the distinct feeling that NO body knows how to reconfigure TCP/IP in Mac OS 9 huh??

Its been like a week or more and still no answer to the question
on reconfiguring TCP/IP!!

If any body does have any ideas, I would REALLY appreciate any assistance I can get with this matter!!

Dwight

Originally posted by coyinnc:
Thanks for the help.

It fixed the OTutility problem, now do U know how I can
reinstall the Open Transport??

ALso I can't get any URL's, do U know how to reset/ reconfigure
tcp/ip on an Imac???

such as in windows its either "winipcfg" for win me and below
or from dos prompt its "ipconfig"?!?!

Thanks in advance!!
Dwight

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 10:45 PM

Dwight -

The equivalent to your Windows Control Panels in the Start Menu is the Control Panels in the Apple Menu.

To configure network settings, open the "TCP/IP" control panel. You can configure how you want the connection to be established (manual, DHCP, etc), but in order to take effect, you'll need to close the Control Panel, to force the changes to save.

If you want to force the OS to renew your IP lease, it's a little more complicated. Most Mac admins will simply restart the computer, but you can also go to the menus, select the "User Mode" option and set TCP/IP to "Advanced" mode. Activating advanced mode will open another setting in the lower right corner of the window to activate or deactivate the TCP/IP stack.

Thus, opening TCP/IP control panel, deactivating the stack, closing the control panel, then reopening the control panel and reactivating TCP/IP will allow you to force the imac to release and renew it's IP address w/out the need to restart the computer. You can even use different TCP/IP "Configuration" sets (one for active, one for deactive) to simplify the process of releasing and renewing your IP address.

One of the lesser-known greatnesses of the Mac is the level of free support that available versus smorgasborg maze of different configurations you find on Windows. Check out the following sites for future Mac support reference:

MacFixIt

MacWindows

Apple Support Website

HTH!

coyinnc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by SpeedRacer:
Dwight -

The equivalent to your Windows Control Panels in the Start Menu is the Control Panels in the Apple Menu.

To configure network settings, open the "TCP/IP" control panel. You can configure how you want the connection to be established (manual, DHCP, etc), but in order to take effect, you'll need to close the Control Panel, to force the changes to save.

If you want to force the OS to renew your IP lease, it's a little more complicated. Most Mac admins will simply restart the computer, but you can also go to the menus, select the "User Mode" option and set TCP/IP to "Advanced" mode. Activating advanced mode will open another setting in the lower right corner of the window to activate or deactivate the TCP/IP stack.

Thus, opening TCP/IP control panel, deactivating the stack, closing the control panel, then reopening the control panel and reactivating TCP/IP will allow you to force the imac to release and renew it's IP address w/out the need to restart the computer. You can even use different TCP/IP "Configuration" sets (one for active, one for deactive) to simplify the process of releasing and renewing your IP address.

One of the lesser-known greatnesses of the Mac is the level of free support that available versus smorgasborg maze of different configurations you find on Windows. Check out the following sites for future Mac support reference:

MacFixIt

MacWindows

Apple Support Website

HTH!

coyinnc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 09:13 PM

OOPS!!!

Thanks very much speed!!

Unfortunately I am not too savvy on a mac, but am learning every day!!

Dwight

Originally posted by coyinnc:

Forum Links
Forum Rules