Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 70)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Serenity and the Millenium Falcon both land and take off from the ground, and fly through the atmosphere to do it. So... what doesn't make sense here?
It is unoriginal which is the whole point whether it looks like a spaceshuttle or the millennium Falcon WE HAVE SEEN IT 100x before. To be fair though it makes even less sense on Star Trek but I guess the Firefly creators weren't terribly original and just went with the typical set design.

They might use "landing" as an excuse but the thought that any spaceship in the future flying around space with a big window in the front so you can see where to go is ridiculous. Space is full of things you don't want to hit face on traveling at those speeds and to think a pilot sits looking out the window to see his landing location and avoid birds is a joke. Not to mention one shot from a bad guy in the front window and you're all done. Star Trek and Star Wars are guilty of this also as the Enterprise bridge is right at the top for anyone to blast and in Star Wars the star destroyer bridge was a big window on a tower that one lucky ship took out. In BSG the CIC is buried in the middle of the ship for protection.

I mean they already have prototype aircraft 10 years ago that replaces the windows with LCD screens. Any future Mars mission probably won't have a 747 type bridge so I think you can see my point of them just going with the standard Sci-fi spaceship set design. Even today pilots in large aircraft fly mostly by instruments not by looking out the window on where to land.

"Imagine flying a supersonic passenger jet (like the Concorde) at 1,500 mph with no front windows in the cockpit — it may one day be a reality. NASA engineers are working to develop the technology that would replace the forward cockpit windows in future supersonic passenger jets with large sensor displays. These displays would use images, enhanced by computer-generated graphics, to take the place of the view out the front windows."
NASA - High-Speed Research Program Cockpit Fact Sheet

So again... the LOOK of Firefly was nothing new for me where the sets and idea on BSG are as they didn't follow a set template of spaceship design.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
It is unoriginal which is the whole point whether it looks like a spaceshuttle or the millennium Falcon WE HAVE SEEN IT 100x before. To be fair though it makes even less sense on Star Trek but I guess the Firefly creators weren't terribly original and just went with the typical set design.

They might use "landing" as an excuse but the thought that any spaceship in the future flying around space with a big window in the front so you can see where to go is ridiculous. Space is full of things you don't want to hit face on traveling at those speeds and to think a pilot sits looking out the window to see his landing location and avoid birds is a joke. Not to mention one shot from a bad guy in the front window and you're all done. Star Trek and Star Wars are guilty of this also as the Enterprise bridge is right at the top for anyone to blast and in Star Wars the star destroyer bridge was a big window on a tower that one lucky ship took out. In BSG the CIC is buried in the middle of the ship for protection.

I mean they already have prototype aircraft 10 years ago that replaces the windows with LCD screens. Any future Mars mission probably won't have a 747 type bridge so I think you can see my point of them just going with the standard Sci-fi spaceship set design. Even today pilots in large aircraft fly mostly by instruments not by looking out the window on where to land.

"Imagine flying a supersonic passenger jet (like the Concorde) at 1,500 mph with no front windows in the cockpit — it may one day be a reality. NASA engineers are working to develop the technology that would replace the forward cockpit windows in future supersonic passenger jets with large sensor displays. These displays would use images, enhanced by computer-generated graphics, to take the place of the view out the front windows."
NASA - High-Speed Research Program Cockpit Fact Sheet

So again... the LOOK of Firefly was nothing new for me where the sets and idea on BSG are as they didn't follow a set template of spaceship design.
I guess, but you could say that BSG just ripped off the bridge of a submarine. It's really no different.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 04:55 PM

Why they put sound in the movie then?
They did? There was a big battle in the upper atmosphere of a planet, but not in space. When Mal was shootin' the Howitzer there were muffled sounds, I'd imagine resonance from the hull of the ships in close proximity.

Stuff still makes sound, it needs something to reflect off of.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 05:08 PM

For anyone wondering what happens when you get exposed to space:

Human Body in a Vacuum

You can go for about 30 seconds without permanent damage if you don't hold your breath. You can survive with medical attention after about a minute or so. Beyond 2 minutes you're likely too far gone as your brain would be oxygen starved for over a minute, plus severe exposure.

Event Horizon had it close, except for the blood.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 05:11 PM

It was supposed to be a space western. The idea wasn't to wow you with technology, in fact it was the opposite, to make the technology the most subtle possible, to not interfere with the plot and character development. Unfortunately for late-comers like you, they tried to jazz it up for the movie by doing things like turning the go-cart mule into a hover-mule. Obviously that kind of crap sent a mixed message, and you ended up thinking the whole point was the gadgets. Oops.

But either way, I think you're on the wrong track by trying to categorize the reasons you like one show and don't like another. "Oh too much jargon" or "super light-speed travel is so cliche" are just excuses (obviously, because you got them reversed). It all boils down to whether you end up caring about the characters. That goes for any genre. I think I understand how the movie Serenity fell flat when trying to get you to care about the characters. They tried to jump in to the backstory and catch everyone up real fast, and it was just too forced. That interfered with the story just as much as the technology and makeup does in bad Star Treks.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Stuff still makes sound, it needs something to reflect off of.
No it doesn't. Not at all. Sound needs a medium to move through, so no sound exists in a vacuum, regardless of whether or not there is anything to reflect off of.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I guess, but you could say that BSG just ripped off the bridge of a submarine. It's really no different.
Right but at the same time came up with something unique that we haven't all seen before. Just the fact that they even tried says something as many here would be happy with windows and forward facing chairs by the sound of it.

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2008, 07:15 PM

(ok, pretending for a moment that sci-fi isn't,well, fiction... here's an idea)

think of the functionality. a firefly isn't a battlestar. it's much smaller. it never was intended for combat, so a central navigation for security isn't a priority. The center of a firefly is meant for cargo, which is the largest part of the ship. Whereas navigation is small, and makes sense to put it in a smaller place, which happens to be the airodynamic front. I suppose they could have put it in the back--but why be contrary?

Oh, right, then Wash would have lived.

Dammit!

--back to BSG

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 07:22 PM

Fine, they can keep the damn windows but ANY sort of originality would have helped but they just grabbed a template for spaceship set design.

But ya, back to BSG.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
No it doesn't. Not at all. Sound needs a medium to move through, so no sound exists in a vacuum, regardless of whether or not there is anything to reflect off of.
I meant the medium, and you're right. In a perfect vacuum, there is no sound; however, space is not a perfect vacuum. There's dust, vapor, and other things that can propagate sound. You wouldn't hear a Howitzer firing in space, but there is a measurable sound.

Hollywood likes sound in space, it makes it more entertaining.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 08:14 PM

Unfortunately for late-comers like you, they tried to jazz it up for the movie by doing things like turning the go-cart mule into a hover-mule.
It's not the same mule. They blew up the ATV mule in Niska's space station as a diversion when they were saving Mal. I imagine they bought the new mule with the drugs that Niska didn't take when they first kidnapped Mal and Wash.

If Firefly went for another season, Niska woulda made an awesome recurring bad guy.

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Oh, right, then Wash would have lived.
OMG, nobody said anything about Firefly spoilers.

Just kidding, of course I've seen it.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Cold Warrior
Apr 23, 2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
OMG, nobody said anything about Firefly spoilers.

Just kidding, of course I've seen it.
Technically, it's Serenity.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 08:44 PM

Fine, they can keep the damn windows but ANY sort of originality would have helped but they just grabbed a template for spaceship set design.

But ya, back to BSG.
What about the rotating side engines, those weren't original? What about the engine that's a big spinny thing with parts that fall off when it's sickly? Also, they worked very hard to make the sets represent a contiguous real space that fit together into the actual shape of the ship. They didn't just have amorphous corridors that connect one abstract setting to another. They tried to make the ship a "character" too. Whether that was a good idea or not is arguable, but it prevented doing wacky things that IRL craft don't do because of the simple constraints of spatial reality. Having rooms adjacent instead of on stalks or whatever may not be "original," but what can you do?

Anyway, I still think you're fooling yourself if you think that the reason you like one show and don't like the other is because of originality in the concept. It's not because the characters don't all face the same way, or because one show has cheesy makeup or don't address language barriers or ignores general relativity. The difference is because of good writing. Period. All this other nonsense is a smokescreen. You should have realized this when you complained about faster than lightspeed travel being the mark of a weak cliche show only to be informed that BSG does it and Firefly doesn't :-/

Serenity had good writing, but none of it was in the first 20 minutes (after the 9 minute intro). I remember feeling self-conscious during the scenes when the crew first came on. It was weak.

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Technically, it's Serenity.
OMG, I'm in nerd hell!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 08:46 PM

Who let all these whiney women in here?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 11:18 PM

There's dust, vapor, and other things that can propagate sound. You wouldn't hear a Howitzer firing in space, but there is a measurable sound.
Good luck hearing that. There aren't enough molecules to transmit sound.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 11:33 PM

What about the rotating side engines, those weren't original?
No.

( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Apr 23, 2008 at 11:40 PM. )

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 12:56 AM

I meant the medium, and you're right. In a perfect vacuum, there is no sound; however, space is not a perfect vacuum. There's dust, vapor, and other things that can propagate sound. You wouldn't hear a Howitzer firing in space, but there is a measurable sound.

Hollywood likes sound in space, it makes it more entertaining.
Space is a near perfect vacuum. There are, on average, two hydrogen molecules per cubic meter. And, while there are sections of space with dust and gas in them, the average density of material in these areas is very, very low. For perspective, Saturn's density is so low that, if you could put it in the ocean, it would float, and Saturn is thousands and thousands of times more dense than your average cubic meter, or kilometer, of space. Even something which looks somewhat solid to us, like the Horsehead Nebula, would appear almost gossamer were we inside it. 2001 had it right. You'd hear your own breathing and that's about it.

And, while we're at it, BSG gets the physics of explosions completely wrong. There are no fireballs or smoke trails in space. Even a nuke going off would present only as an incredibly bright, incredibly brief flash. You need atmosphere for a fireball, and there ain't none there.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
And, while we're at it, BSG gets the physics of explosions completely wrong. There are no fireballs or smoke trails in space. Even a nuke going off would present only as an incredibly bright, incredibly brief flash. You need atmosphere for a fireball, and there ain't none there.
Ya but regular space is so boring.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 09:07 AM

Thank you so very much. I don't watch movies and TV shows to learnt. I watch them to be entertained.

If I can watch 'semi' serious dramas where the super geeky loser guy always gets the hot sexy girl, then I can suspend belief enough to allow explosions in space.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 12:03 PM

I'm curious, you'd like their "originality" if they had 3 engines or 4 or put them front and back instead of on the sides? Don't you think different for the sake of different is even more distracting and contrived? I do.

UNregardless, I was talking about how they were free-turning, to provide believable vertical takeoffs (as opposed to the Millennium Falcon's case).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 02:37 PM

UNregardless, I was talking about how they were free-turning, to provide believable vertical takeoffs (as opposed to the Millennium Falcon's case).
Right, exactly like GI Joe did in the 80's:
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/84/rat...ttler_iso2.jpg

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 03:00 PM

I came into this thread looking for some discussion of BSG... instead it's a bunch of people arguing about whether the Serenity was an original or unoriginal ship design? What?

Okay, back to BSG:

Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
Anyone else notice that Alpha Centauri is a trinary system?
And from BSG WIki:

The constellation Orion appears in this episode. It is clearly visible in the background of the basestars shortly before Cavil's ships begin to attack, and may be visible when Cally looks out the window in the launch tube shortly before she is confronted by Foster. This would indicate that both fleets are relatively close to Earth. However, for them to see Orion in the same two-dimensional configuration as from Earth, they would have to be within a few light years of Sol and in a relatively narrow corridor between it an Orion.

(snipped image, didn't work anyway)
I read the BattlestarWiki article on that and apparently someone plotted out where the fleet has to be in order for Orion to be visible there. Get a load of this:

* How far from Earth are they, given the configuration of the stars in Orion?

* From which direction are the Colonial refugees travelling to Earth?

* Is Sol, and therefore Earth, somewhere in the background?

I am assuming that the inclusion of such an easily recognisable constellation in the show is not an over-sight of the effects / graphics teams (who ever is responsible) but is a deliberate indication of where the fleet - and the Cylons - are in the galaxy. I am also assuming that some member of the crew has done their homework and has considered the same things I have when performing this investigation.

1. BRIEF METHODOLOGY

To begin with, I have used a great piece of software called Celestia, which gave me a rudimentary star map to work from. If you haven't got this software I recommend you get it if you are fans of space-based sci-fi shows.

Download Celestia 1.5.0 here.

In my Astronomy Laboratory I have used photographic plates of astronomical objects to determine various things. Angular separation between stars is one example. Although on plates there are two different scales (one vertical and one horizontal) for this exercise I simply assumed that the pixels on my screen and the footage from BSG were perfectly square: that is, they have the same scale in both directions. It was then just a matter of measuring the separation between the stars in Orion on the BSG footage in order to get an indication of how Orion needed to be configured in Celestia.

2. FACTS

Perspective is very important. Many of the stars in Orion are very far away from us. However, Bellatrix (the top right or 'shoulder' star) is not so far from Earth in comparison to the others of Orion. The further from Earth one travels, the more the closest stars will seem to move. The effect of perspective is that nearer stars will appear to converge to a 'vanishing point' much more quickly than the more distant stars. In effect, this means Bellatrix migrates 'downwards' (in the image) towards the stars of Orion's belt much more quickly than any of the other 'apex' stars (Betelgeuse, Rigel and Saiph). Because the stars of Orion are not all an identical distance from Earth, as one travels away from the constellation, the shape will both shrink in size AND become distorted.

Another point to note is that in order for these stars to retain the coherence as the familiar Orion, one would need to be approaching Earth in such a direction as to keep the stars in their correct places. From this, drawing an imaginary line through Earth towards Orion and looking back along it will give us an indication of the direction from which the fleets are approaching the Solar System.

3. CONCLUSIONS

Keeping all these points in mind, and the assumption this is a deliberate inclusion in the show to indicate the fleets' proximity to Earth, I have formed the following conclusions:

* The Colonial and Cylon fleets must be within 20 light years of the Solar System. Beyond that, the shape of Orion (particularly due to the troublesome Bellatrix) becomes too distorted to match what is shown in the episode.

* The Colonial and Cyclon fleets are travelling towards the Solar System from the direction of the constellation of Ophiuchus! For those of you in the know, Ophiuchus is the thirteenth sign of the Zodiac. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here is its Wikipedia entry.

* Sol MUST be somewhere around the region of the lower half of Orion. Oddly enough, on the scene where the Cylon Basestars jump in to shot, before the camera pans up, the left half of that background star field must contain Earth.

4. IMPLICATIONS

20 light years from Earth: if it is a present or future Earth, surely the fleets should be picking up Terrestrial communications? It would go some way to explain All Along the Watchtower, although not the fact that it was a version recorded specifically for the show.

Ophiuchus: yup, the thirteenth tribe will be reached by passing through the thirteenth sign of the Zodiac, from Earth's perspective. Thirteenth Cylon model, anyone...?

Please remember that this has been determined under the assumption that the inclusion of Orion was deliberate and not a mistake / over-sight on the part of the makers of the show.
So, assuming the placement of these stars was a deliberate action by the designers and not simply randomly including Orion for the hell of it (it's one of the most recognized constellations and it's easily visible in all parts of the world), the fleet is actually coming from the 13th sign. Seems pretty awesome, if they were actually thinking of this. It's indeed possible - they may have gotten a copy of a star-charting program themselves in order to research star patterns once the fleet closes in on Earth.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 03:15 PM

I hope they end it on a cool note that sets up the idea that all of us currently on earth are the result of the fleet finding its way to earth thousands of years ago and either all or some of us are Cylon hybrids and some aren't but the point is that is doesn't matter cuz we all have the same emotions and traits.

Oh and 95% of the fleet dies... that would be cool.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 03:19 PM

On a side note I was thinking how friggin' big and long BSG is. How the hell do you get from one end to the other without an train or golf cart? I mean they call action stations when you are in CIC it is gonna still take 20 min to run to the launch bays.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 03:55 PM

The Excalibur in B5: Crusade was nearly 2 miles long and had high-speed tram/shuttle used to traverse the distance.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 04:18 PM

True. But I was in a nitpicky mood, is all.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
The Excalibur in B5: Crusade was nearly 2 miles long and had high-speed tram/shuttle used to traverse the distance.
So did Seaquest. I remember that B5 one, the bluescreen effect always looked so bad to me.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 04:38 PM

I hope they end it on a cool note that sets up the idea that all of us currently on earth are the result of the fleet finding its way to earth thousands of years ago and either all or some of us are Cylon hybrids and some aren't but the point is that is doesn't matter cuz we all have the same emotions and traits.

That's what I've been wanting to see. No humans actually make it to Earth, just human-Cylon hybrids that slowly over-takes the last human tribe (who we end up referring to as Neanderthals)

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 05:20 PM

99.5% would be cooler.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 05:51 PM

Adam and Eve?

Oh PLEASE. I really hope it doesn't end with some cheesy reference to either Neanderthals or the creation story.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
That's what I've been wanting to see. No humans actually make it to Earth, just human-Cylon hybrids that slowly over-takes the last human tribe (who we end up referring to as Neanderthals)
They get to earth and it's populated by apes!

andi*pandi
Apr 24, 2008, 06:37 PM

robotic apes!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 06:43 PM

With lasers!

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 06:56 PM

I'm going through the Battlestar Wiki and I can't accept the notion of a spacefaring civilization that left behind handwritten "sacred scrolls" containing prophetic writing and religion-ese. It doesn't work for me. Religious writing of the kind in the sacred scrolls is appropriate to "primitive" cultures, not ones that have developed FTL spacecrafts capable of interstellar travel.

So why did the inhabitants of Kobol (Kobolites?) leave behind religious mumbo-jumbo, but no actual accurate, objective historical texts describing the lost 13th tribe's journey to earth or the later exodus of the other tribes?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 07:26 PM

Kobolonians?

They did leave behind accurate, objective historical texts, but their descendants soon transformed them into religious mumbo-jumbo. It's how these things work.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2008, 07:38 PM

Maybe they will all realize that their entire universe is merely a speck of dust on Wilfred Brimley's bookshelf?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 07:47 PM

I'm going through the Battlestar Wiki and I can't accept the notion of a spacefaring civilization that left behind handwritten "sacred scrolls" containing prophetic writing and religion-ese. It doesn't work for me. Religious writing of the kind in the sacred scrolls is appropriate to "primitive" cultures, not ones that have developed FTL spacecrafts capable of interstellar travel.
I was thinking the same. The one thing I can think of though is perhaps they were transported by a higher life forms (like the ship of lights) to the 12 colonies. I mean Kobol was where humanity lived WITH the gods so they must have had the "god" title for good reason... spaceships!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Kobolonians?

They did leave behind accurate, objective historical texts, but their descendants soon transformed them into religious mumbo-jumbo. It's how these things work.
Just look at recent real-world developments around the theory of evolution.

finboy
Apr 24, 2008, 08:23 PM

They get to earth and it's populated by apes!
It's a madhouse. A MADHOUSE.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 24, 2008, 09:05 PM

So why did the inhabitants of Kobol (Kobolites?) leave behind religious mumbo-jumbo, but no actual accurate, objective historical texts describing the lost 13th tribe's journey to earth or the later exodus of the other tribes?
The Twelve Colonies experienced a technological collapse some time after settlement. It's only in the last few hundred years that they recovered spaceflight. One would assume the high-tech records vanished during the several thousand years of primitive times.

The series hasn't revealed just how soon the collapse happened, it's a distinct possibility that some of the Colonies had to be terraformed. In which case, the collapse might have been several centuries after settlement, since terraforming takes time.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2008, 12:32 AM

Not necessarily. Religion has been with us for as long as we've been here, and I don't think it will go anywhere. Religions will come, religions will go, but they will always be here.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:19 AM

Last episode was a really bad one.. I'm sick of this mental masturbation the writers are puking out. On one hand doling out high-school mentality level philosophy (only through pain do you see who you are) and incredibly braindead version of the Lord of the Flies (the joke that is politics aboard the Galactica).

Look, this series is too American centered for me to ever really enjoy. If you didn't grow up in the US or Canada, this looks like an allegory for the USA. But it isn't. It's just that the writers seem to think the USA is the world.

Every episode containing that President woman, Baltar and that glue-sniffingly stupid Lee Adama, just hurts to watch. The awful philosophies, the awful politics and the awful pseudo intellectual hints dropped about religions.

The writers already have made Greco/Roman religions and Mithras come from outer space and now they will make Christianity one as well - probably as a 'surprise' plot twist. It was amusing when that woman said the Mithras followers were not that different from the cult of Gaius.

This show fails.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Not necessarily. Religion has been with us for as long as we've been here, and I don't think it will go anywhere. Religions will come, religions will go, but they will always be here.
True but our culture was advanced enough to launch probes out into deep space 30 years ago and even though we're pretty religious we didn't include a bunch of that stuff on the probes. I don't even think we would these days even with the resurgence of various fundamentalism. I think the most unrealistic thing about BSG is how all the humans from all the different planets have the same religion. What did they do before the cylons? Just get along and enjoy worship? I thought the whole purpose of religion was to separate people into groups and create differences that really don't exist so they'd have an excuse to fight with eachother. If all the humans had the same religion it seems like it would just fade away pretty quickly.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I thought the whole purpose of religion was to separate people into groups and create differences that really don't exist so they'd have an excuse to fight with eachother.
Well, that's a remarkably reductionist view of religion, which is why it doesn't make any sense.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 11:07 AM

Last night's episode was definitely lame. I want to see more of the cylon in-fighting and Starbuck's search for Earth, not some crappy right to assemble political struggle.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 11:20 AM

I enjoyed last night's episode. Though maybe that's just because BSG gave a special shout-out to my main man Mithras!

(clicky to play)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2008, 12:54 PM

Last night's episode was necessary connective tissue. There has been a *ton* of plot revolving around religion in this show, obviously it is going somewhere.

Patience people.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 01:56 PM

^I agree. There a 16 episodes left, and next one seems to be all about Kara's seach for the bountiful Earth.

Edited to add: I really, really dug Tyrol's blow up to Adama.

His hot, one true love is Boomer, and the only thing he has to worry about is being caught fraternizing with an officer. But that doesn't mean **** because Boomer happens to be a Cylon. Who shoots Adama. Then Cally kills Boomer, and she gets beaten by Tyrol because he thinks he may be a Cylon. So, she proposes to Tyrol, and he "settles." Now, Cally's dead, and it doesn't matter that Boomer is a Cylon because Tyrol is a Cylon. Ah, cruel fate.

My guess is that he'll find Boomer by the end, and she'll trade-up from Cavil--because Final Fivers don't come around often.
( Last edited by scottiB; Apr 26, 2008 at 02:06 PM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules