Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to avoid inline attachments in Mail?

How to avoid inline attachments in Mail?
redrockdes
Apr 21, 2005, 03:25 PM

My customers who use Lotus Notes complain that my Mail attachments do not arrive as icons, but open as pictures inside their mail windows. This happens with small PDF files and graphics like JPEG files. They want to be able to save the attachments and print them, but cannot figure out how to do it on their PCs with Lotus Notes. I have tried enclosing files in a ZIP file for them but they don't seem to like this, either. Is there anything I can do within Mail to prevent the attachments from showing up, or any suggestions for them to use with Lotus Notes?

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 04:55 PM

It surprises me that their software handles JPEGs differently from different e-mail clients. Although I don't see how it could help, have you turned on 'Send Windows Friendly Attachments' within Mail?

redrockdes  (op)
Apr 21, 2005, 05:07 PM

Yes, I already had that turned on.

I read another person's post in the Apple Discussions about this also, so it must be some kind of incompatibility with my customers' Lotus Notes.

I think it would be nice to have the option of not showing inline attachments. Occasionally there are large dimension JPEG files that are hard to view in a mail window, and I don't like to irritate my customers like that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by philm
It surprises me that their software handles JPEGs differently from different e-mail clients. Although I don't see how it could help, have you turned on 'Send Windows Friendly Attachments' within Mail?

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 12:42 AM

When I drag an attachment into the body of the message, it shows up as an inline image on the recipients email program.

However, if I select "Attach File" from the "File" menu and add the item that way, then the attachment shows up as an attachment, rather than inline, on the recipient's computer.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 02:37 AM

right click on the graphic, view as icon? random shot in the dark..

hab
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 02:08 PM

I had this problem as well. The fix is not on the Mac end but a preference on the windows user end.

In the windows user Lotus Notes application go to

File>Preferences>User Preferences>Basics>Additional Options

Check the option "Show in-line MIME images as attachments"

Click OK button.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 03:39 AM

Sorry to dredge up this ancient thread, but I have a client with this same problem.

Does anybody know whether Outlook has a similar preference setting that can be changed?

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 05:11 AM

I just searched Outlook 2000 and couldn't find any setting!

I only know that if you want (to send) inline images then you have to add them as "object" and not attach them!
Could it be that your client uses a newer version than Outlook 2000, because I never received inline images from other email clients so far - they're always attached!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 06:34 AM

He probably does.

The nasty thing is that we *tried* attaching images via the "attachment" button, and they *still* show up as inline images in his Outlook, with no direct way of saving them to disk (since the e-mail has "no attachments").

This is a real problem for him because he needs to send out image attachments to large numbers of people, and does all his photos on the MacBook. I can suggest zipping an exported folder, but that's really too damn complex a processs (Export from iPhoto to a newly created folder, then switch to Finder, compress that folder, then add that into a new e-mail - vs. click e-mail button in iPhoto).

Cold Warrior
Jun 6, 2008, 07:18 AM

He needs to change his message format to plain text. This will make Outlook attach them, not display them inline.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
He needs to change his message format to plain text. This will make Outlook attach them, not display them inline.
It's pathetic that Outlook can't correctly handle RTF/HTML emails with attachments from Mail. Unless, of course, it's Apple's fault, but I believe the problem only occurs with Outlook users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules