Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Evolution has stopped

Evolution has stopped
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 08:48 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...scientist.html

For centuries, writers have attempted to predict the future of the human race.

Some have argued that we are destined to evolve into super-beings, others that we are turning into dim-witted goblins incapable of anything more demanding than watching TV.

But according to a leading geneticist, both visions are wrong because human evolution has ground to a halt.
I'm not sure I buy that. I popped into town the other day and the aforementioned goblins appeared to be losing their wits before my very eyes.

Discuss.
( Last edited by Doofy; Oct 6, 2008 at 09:06 PM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2008, 08:59 PM

Your "leading geneticist" leads a sheltered life. Evolution for complex species runs on a geologic time scale, not his observation time scale. Further, we ARE evolving; we have managed to become allergically sensitive to enough of our urban toxins that we have an epidemic of asthma. There are other examples, like the fact that wisdom teeth are STILL in the process of being phased out (too late for me, of course).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 09:04 PM

There are 6 stages to evolution:

We have achieved stage 4.

The end is nigh.

freudling
Banned
Oct 6, 2008, 09:17 PM

There is also some research on how new generations of humans are smarter than their ancestors... that the DNA has undergone changes to give rise to more complex brains... at an earlier age, this engenders the ability to learn more, and do it more quickly than previous generations. It's partly environment, and partly genetics at play.

I'll see if I can find the link to the research.

Where has evolution stopped? Well, perhaps that is an oxymoron of sorts, but sharks are a good example of something that appears to be static in an evolutionary context. They are one of the most perfect predators: very well adapted to their environment. So they are sort of finished adapting and are very successful with the way that they are.

With humans, we will adapt, meaning we will evolve, but we will also be the ones implementing adaptation upon ourselves (modifying DNA, drugs to fight viruses and bacteria, etc.). We will create new worlds, both here and off the earth, we can select for the right traits for each new world... we essentially are smart enough to play god and help direct our own evolutionary path.

Order it up: blue eyes, 65% fast twitch muscle fibers in the quads, 6'5", size 13 foot, dual core brain, etc.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 6, 2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Order it up: blue eyes, 65% fast twitch muscle fibers in the quads, 6'5", size 13 foot, dual core brain, etc.
Apparently I'm the perfect made-to-order person.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 09:23 PM

Evolution depends on the species being pressured by natural elements. Because we're no longer pressured, I'd agree, evolution has stopped.

QED.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 09:40 PM

only for turtles

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 09:42 PM

There is also some research on how new generations of humans are smarter than their ancestors... that the DNA has undergone changes to give rise to more complex brains... at an earlier age, this engenders the ability to learn more, and do it more quickly than previous generations. It's partly environment, and partly genetics at play.

I'll see if I can find the link to the research.

Where has evolution stopped? Well, perhaps that is an oxymoron of sorts, but sharks are a good example of something that appears to be static in an evolutionary context. They are one of the most perfect predators: very well adapted to their environment. So they are sort of finished adapting and are very successful with the way that they are.

With humans, we will adapt, meaning we will evolve, but we will also be the ones implementing adaptation upon ourselves (modifying DNA, drugs to fight viruses and bacteria, etc.). We will create new worlds, both here and off the earth, we can select for the right traits for each new world... we essentially are smart enough to play god and help direct our own evolutionary path.

That wouldn't be evolution... that would be...

: gulp :

...intelligent design.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm not sold on the OS.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 6, 2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I'm not sold on the OS.
You don't enjoy my multi-touch capabilities?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar
I'm the perfect made-to-order person.
I thought that said "mail order person".

freudling
Banned
Oct 6, 2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Evolution depends on the species being pressured by natural elements. Because we're no longer pressured, I'd agree, evolution has stopped.

QED.
Wrong. Humans are just another variable in the environment acting on other organisms and causing them to adapt. In our case, we directly affect our environment and, in some cases, can control how we ourselves adapt.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 11:24 PM

QED.
Not stopped, but rather the selective pressures have changed. I'd say nature has taken a back seat in shaping our species future at the moment.

Atomic Rooster
Oct 6, 2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Discuss.
Look in the mirror. Proof?

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is
a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
only for turtles
Reported.
nah, seriously though : p
-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 12:46 AM

So you're the one that got me in trouble! we're so not friends anymore

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 01:19 AM

The theory that evolution of man has ground to a halt is nothing new at all. For most of my life I've accepted the fact that evolution of man - at least on a major scale - has slowed down. One of the keys to a rapid evolution is isolation and environmental changes, and as a race that developed technology we have spread out to every corner of the globe. And technology has eliminated most needs to adapt to the environment around us.

If we decided to spread to other planets we could again become isolated and adapt to a new environment.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

lexapro
Baninated
Oct 7, 2008, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Your "leading geneticist" leads a sheltered life. Evolution for complex species runs on a geologic time scale, not his observation time scale. Further, we ARE evolving; we have managed to become allergically sensitive to enough of our urban toxins that we have an epidemic of asthma. There are other examples, like the fact that wisdom teeth are STILL in the process of being phased out (too late for me, of course).
That's hardly evolution. It's more like devolution.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 01:35 AM

Can't wait to watch this movie,

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 01:39 AM

I just had an spooky thought. What if the tv show Heroes is actually a documentary and everything happening is real, and then they'll be like, haha, we fooled you. This is what the human race will evolve into.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 02:28 AM

Wrong. Humans are just another variable in the environment acting on other organisms and causing them to adapt. In our case, we directly affect our environment and, in some cases, can control how we ourselves adapt.
I don't think so. For example, one might argue that with our exploration of the seas we might eventually evolve to survive better underwater. This is going to be hampered by the use of subs. They allow us to survive with no pressures (literally and figuratively) at a great depth.

We have machines and tools that prevent us from evolving because their entire job is to allow us not to feel any pressure in other settings.

One could argue that we'll have to evolve to better use the tools (maybe higher order brain functions), but I'd argue that we'll end up making tools easier and easier to use, and robotics and AI's will only make this more complicated when we start sending machines to do our job for us, taking us out of the equation entirely.

Cipher13
Oct 7, 2008, 04:14 AM

An understanding of evolution should be a requirement for participation in this thread.

I'm leaving before I yell at somebody.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 04:20 AM

This is blatantly some propaganda from the pro evolution camp who are trying to back track and say its stopped. Obviously attempting to cover up the fact that they have found out that the creationists were correct all along.
or not.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2008, 06:33 AM

Like that guy who said history was over.

[channel John Dvorak "That's a crock" [/channel John Dvorak]

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 07:47 AM

There was no mention of pokey-motorcycle in the description.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I thought that said "mail order person".
Its MALE order person, and its for Oisin.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Its MALE order person, and its for Oisin.
Hey, what’d I do? I wasn’t even there!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 08:22 AM

You don't enjoy my multi-touch capabilities?
Creepy, but effective come back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
If we decided to spread to other planets we could again become isolated and adapt to a new environment.
goMac got to it before I could.

We have machines and tools that prevent us from evolving because their entire job is to allow us not to feel any pressure in other settings.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
An understanding of evolution should be a requirement for participation in this thread.

I'm leaving before I yell at somebody.
A limit on the arrogance of a person should be a requirement for participation on these fora.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
That's hardly evolution. It's more like devolution.
There's no such thing. If a species is changing, it's evolution.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Depends on your perspective.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 11:51 AM

Um, USA Today - Researchers: Human evolution speeding up

Maybe it's speeding up in the USA (today) even while it has stopped in the UK

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
The bubonic plague is some of the most recent evidence to support evolution by natural selection, as some people were immune to it via a mutation in their genes (which, coincidentally, also makes them immune to HIV.)

So if there is ever a plague on that scale again, lots of people will die, probably some will live, and those that survived will pass on that beneficial gene to future generations.

In the words of Bill Nye, "It's science!"
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Can't wait to watch this movie,

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Nahh. It's progressing rapidly here. I swear I saw General Ursus driving a Mondeo the other day.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2008, 11:39 PM

evolution doesn't stop. human intelligence is clearly going down as we adapt to our new environment of which doesn't require any critical thinking. Most mutations are negative and such is the case now with our degenerating brains when no selection pressure is being exerted.

"Oh my god! Whats this on the news, Georgia is being invaded?!!? my familys in atlanta are they ok?"

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2008, 11:48 PM

dang you el chupacabra.... i just woke up the day I read that news article and the same thing went through my head until it clicked what the story was actually about. minus the family part.

freudling
Banned
Oct 8, 2008, 11:42 PM

I don't think so. For example, one might argue that with our exploration of the seas we might eventually evolve to survive better underwater. This is going to be hampered by the use of subs. They allow us to survive with no pressures (literally and figuratively) at a great depth.

One could argue that we'll have to evolve to better use the tools (maybe higher order brain functions), but I'd argue that we'll end up making tools easier and easier to use, and robotics and AI's will only make this more complicated when we start sending machines to do our job for us, taking us out of the equation entirely.
Clearly people don't understand evolution. This above post fails to take account of the principles of evolution, and the most important one being adaptation.

For example, the use of a sub IS our way of adapting to, for instance, living in the sea. It might not be from some jury rigged design, or some noticable physiological change, but it is a way for us to adapt to our external environment: a way for us to SURVIVE our environment and not die off. That is the essence of evolution: organisms that can adapt will live on, those that can't will die off. In our case, because we are "relatively" intelligent, we are able to find ways of surviving environments that are harmful to us, within very short time periods, whereas other organisms would simply die and cease to exist.

The reason we made it through everything in the history of this planet is because we have 1 trait that was the most important one of them all: intelligence. The highest intelligence of any living creature.

Also, one must take into consideration that their lifetime is very short, so saying that you don't "see" evolution happening for humans is simplistic and irresponsible. We have evolved from Apes, we are smarter and more streamlined. It is only natural that this trend continue, and it is continuing.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2008, 11:54 PM

QED.
*human* evolution in developed nations has stopped. The majority of the world's human population might still be evolving since they face greater pressures than we do. I'd agree the the original statement that we might actually be de-evolving in the developed nations.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2008, 11:59 PM

I don't think so. For example, one might argue that with our exploration of the seas we might eventually evolve to survive better underwater.
We would only be able to do so if there were a survival need for living under water. What would cause us to evolve for under water survival? Or, rather, what would cause females to choose male mates for their underwater survival genetic mutations?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
True, although we've taken "evolution" to imply "improvement"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 01:54 AM

I think that this forum has stopped along with evolution. Very little activity today.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 04:14 AM

I blame the economy.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
*human* evolution in developed nations has stopped.
Absolutely not.

There is still, and always will be, tremendous selective pressure, both socially imposed, (such as for physical traits), and health-related (e.g. your chances of passing your genes on into the gene pool are drastically diminished if you happen to die of obesity-related illnesses, or an allergic shock, or an asthma attack, before you reproduce).

As society changes, so do selective pressures affecting the chances of reproduction. Evolution continues as strongly as it ever has.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 05:46 AM

You do bring up an interesting point. As natural pressures are eased by technology, societal pressures take over. It should be interesting in retrospective to see if the zeitgeist would influence us as much as environmental pressures ever did.

My hunch is that it is a much weaker pressure though. Too fluctuating.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 10:22 AM

People, our inventions don't obviate evolution, they are part of it. Just think: has a snail "stopped evolving" because it has learned to live inside a shell, allowing it to become all squishy and soft? Has a beaver "stopped evolving" because it has learned to build a dam and live inside it, allowing it to stop fighting off predators and competitors? No. These animals' mastery of tools is part of their evolution, not opposed to it, even though without them it has made those animals objectively softer and weaker. Our strength in numbers plays the same way; have bees "stopped evolving" because their elaborate social structure has allowed their autonomy and executive function to atrophy? No. Their social network is their evolution, it's not "stopping" it.

Super Mario
Oct 9, 2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...scientist.html

I'm not sure I buy that. I popped into town the other day and the aforementioned goblins appeared to be losing their wits before my very eyes.

Discuss.
No evolution hasn't stopped. I am feeling a tingling in my hand that sometimes manifests into a flaming powerball and my brain has started to accept some emails when I am in range of a wifi router.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:28 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 12:35 PM

You guys realize that the result of this study implies that older men need to hook up with younger women to ensure genetic diversity... so... *clears throat* Yeah, evolution's stopped. I need young, attractive women in the name of science!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
You do bring up an interesting point. As natural pressures are eased by technology, societal pressures take over. It should be interesting in retrospective to see if the zeitgeist would influence us as much as environmental pressures ever did.

My hunch is that it is a much weaker pressure though. Too fluctuating.
It's the only factor that explains human hairlessness and actual breasts rather than small teats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules