Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Moving icons in finder window!!

Moving icons in finder window!!
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 07:38 PM

In one of the (non admin) accounts on my PB when I click on the finder window, if it has more than one folder in they move. For example say I open the applications window, I have loads of applications but I they are moving position constantly, like I literally cannot open the one I want because by the time I get the curser there it has moved.

Can anyone shed some light on what the hell is going on. It is only working on this account as far as I can tell, not on my main admin account on same PB or my girlfriends non admon account.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:22 AM

Check your view options (command-J when in the Finder icon view) - do you have Keep arranged by Date Modified selected as the sort option?

N.B. If you want to apply any change to All Windows, make sure it is selected at the top before proceeding, likewise if you want it just to apply to the window you are vieiwing (the default is for All Windows to be selected).

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 06:33 AM

I'm at the office now and the PB is at home but would keep arranged by date modified really make the icons move rapidly in the way they are? How so?

I will check but can't believe that's the cause.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:52 PM

I don't know for sure, but I think it is possible if not probable - every time you open a file or application its date modified is changed to the time it was opened. Therefore, it has the potential to cause what you are observing.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2007, 05:39 AM

I just checked they are set in all finder windows to be arranges by size. and they are all still moving - it's driving me mad.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 07:59 AM

Maybe try selecting a different view option and/or changing the icon size.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2007, 11:52 AM

look no disrespect but changing the icon size surely won't effect this problem. I'm guessing that it is a plist file or something like that but I can't be the only person ever to have had this issue - surely someone can shed some light on this.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 01:22 PM

That's my point. Changing the view might reset the plist or at least indicate if it was something to do with the particular setting you were using. If it doesn't help, then just delete com.apple.finder.plist in the ~/Library/Preferences folder to reset the Finder back to its default settings.

And yes... it does look like you are the only one having this problem as no-one else is responding.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 02:32 PM

Can you download Ambrosia Software, Inc. -- utilities/snapzprox and make a movie of it for everyone? Sounds interesting.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2007, 07:14 PM

Changing the view might reset the plist
Thant seems to have worked - thanks. It seemed too easy

Can you download Ambrosia Software, Inc. -- utilities/snapzprox and make a movie of it for everyone?
have downloaded this app and will post movie file if it happens again.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 08:10 PM

Sounds like you inadvertently stumbled on a good April Fools gag.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 07:43 AM

Sounds like you inadvertently stumbled on a good April Fools gag
Meaning?

Forum Links
Forum Rules