Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod in a car

iPod in a car
AllenA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 10:30 AM

I've been reading MacNN forums for a while, and find they're the best and most informative. I have 2 iMacs and an iBook, and have been a Mac user since the 1980's, but this question is about my 2 gen iPod. I bought iTrip, but it keeps fading when I'm on the road. I'm going to try a cassette adapter. MacWorld gave the Nomad adapter a good review. Are there any others (Sony, Radio Shack, etc.) that anyone can recommend?. Thanks for any input. I'm officially a member!

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 11:22 AM

I just use a cassette adaptor I bought at Wal Mart. It was the cheapest thing I could find. Works great, but has a stupid cord hanging next to my radio. I wish I could find a good wireless solution and a method to mount this thing!

[osX]RTouris
Oct 20, 2003, 12:42 PM

I've made a mountable base (PDA mount) and currently using it with my iPod in the car. I'll post some snaps in a while.

darkhawk64
Oct 20, 2003, 01:48 PM

I use a cell phone mount with adhesive that attaches to my dashboard to hold my iPod. The only drawkback to this holding system is direct sunlight. When it is exposed to sun too much, the adhesive becomes less adhering. To connect to my stereo, I use a direct line in to the auxiliary port on my deck (Pioneer DES-P3300). The dirrect connection provides better sound quaility than either a tape deck or FM transmitter would give. I love this setup!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 03:34 PM

Yeah, but what do those of us sound enthusiasts do? My cassette adaptor isn't perfect, and an FM transmitter leaves a lot to be desired. I have a factory installed stock radio, and I'm betting it doesn't have a line input on the back. I don't want to pull it out and install a custom radio, so I'm left with no "great" options.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 03:53 PM

To play your iPod over your car stereo, one should implement one of the following options:

Best - Line In Jack

If your car stereo has a Line In Jack, just get the appropriate wire and enjoy the direct signal. This is by far the best option from a sound quality perspective.

Good - Cassette Adaptor

If your car stereo has a cassette deck, get a $20 cassette adaptor. Radio Shack has them even cheaper and they sound great. You will hear a little tape hiss on softer songs ... which is why it's slightly less desirable than a line in jack.

If all else fails - FM Transmitter

Quite frankly, this option sucks donkey balls. But if you have a stereo with no line in jack and no cassette deck it's your only option. Sound quality leaves much to be desired, but I suppose some sound is better than none at all.

OAW

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 05:14 PM

Top Tip: How to improve the sound on cassette adaptors.

If the sounds seems a bit muddy it's probably because the head on the cassette adaptor is slightly out of alignment with the play head in the stereo. Have a close look at the adaptor and you might even be able to see that the head is slightly off center, or even at a slight angle. These things aren't precision made! If you have a car stereo where you can touch the end of the cassette when playing, try pushing it up or down and see what effect it has on the sound. If it improves it, it confirms the standard alignment is off.

To fix, prise open the cassette case and adjust the position of the head. On the one I had (Sony) the head simply lifted out and you could adjust it by padding the appropriate side of the case with tape so that it pushed the head in the right direction. Much fiddly experimentation is usually required, but hopefully it'll be worth it. Just be careful it's all snapped back together properly with no tape or anything sticking out, otherwise it could jam in the stereo unit.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 08:18 PM

What I'd really like is a way to hardware the iPod to a power source, like a radar detector can be hardwired. Anyone know of a way to do this without interference?

Rey :)

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Stingrey:
What I'd really like is a way to hardware the iPod to a power source, like a radar detector can be hardwired. Anyone know of a way to do this without interference?

Rey
Without what kind of interference?

I'm sure it can be done with a few trips to Radio Shack and a voltmeter. I'd buy an iPod adapter (like this one) to start and go from there. You should be able to use the innards to step down your car's 12 volts to whatever it is the iPod needs. Have fun.

--J

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 10:46 PM

I dunno, I just heard from a few people that tried this that they got bad alternator whine without some type of filter of sorts for the power supply... That being said, I would LOVE to have a hard wired option, I (like many other people) have the iPod wired into my arm rest console so it is relatively self contained in there, but once in a while needs charging... Only then do the ugly wires make themselves known :) In either event, the more you mention it, the more I think it should be relatively simple... I think I have a new weekend project, and if the wired remote can be spliced to another to extend the length, I think I have a perfect mounting spot in the T/A to control the action!

Rey :)

[osX]RTouris
Oct 21, 2003, 03:44 AM

oranjdisc
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 12:38 PM

If you own a BMW...THIS is the solution.

http://icelink.densionusa.com/

Coming out in November. They claim you'll be able to control the iPod via the stereo buttons on the steering wheel. Now THAT's cool.

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:

A dock connector and a headphone jack connection? Whaaa?

I guess they're wiring the steering wheel controls through the iPod's remote socket. Too bad, I was really hoping there was a way to control the 'Pod through the dock port (unless Dension just didn't know/find/look for a way).

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 04:14 PM

Thanks for that Dension link. That's the product I've been waiting for, although I too would have preferred that they had controlled the remote from the docking connector.

On a more positive note, using the audio output from the headphone jack means that Sound Check will work, and maybe I wouldn't have to be fiddling with the volume control as constantly as I do now.

My preliminary iPod car install

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 04:44 PM

I dunno, I just heard from a few people that tried this that they got bad alternator whine without some type of filter of sorts for the power supply... That being said, I would LOVE to have a hard wired option, I (like many other people) have the iPod wired into my arm rest console so it is relatively self contained in there, but once in a while needs charging... Only then do the ugly wires make themselves known In either event, the more you mention it, the more I think it should be relatively simple... I think I have a new weekend project, and if the wired remote can be spliced to another to extend the length, I think I have a perfect mounting spot in the T/A to control the action!

Rey
I have experienced that interference with my set up. I have my iPod hardwired to my empty CD Changer stuff in the trunk. I run the audio cable up to the front seat. That alone sounds great, no interference. But then I got the Belkin car charger with the line out port on it. When I hook that up, it sounds better, but there is a slight whine and sometimes a ticking sound. It's gotta be a power thing.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas on how get rid of the whine? Is it some sort of grounding wire or something? If I can get this solved, I can set up a permanent iPod solution for my car.

I have a 3G iPod in an '02 VW Golf.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 02:00 AM

Usually it's engine noise, and usually the solution is a ground loop isolator such as this one: Radio Shack ground loop isolator

No guarantees of course, but that has been the fix for many folks who have hooked up to their head unit via an aux input and the Belkin auto kit. I may put one in myself at some point, but I only get the engine noise during the silence between tracks, and when I have the volume cranked somewhat higher than normal, so it doesn't usually bother me.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by AllenA:
I've been reading MacNN forums for a while, and find they're the best and most informative. I have 2 iMacs and an iBook, and have been a Mac user since the 1980's, but this question is about my 2 gen iPod. I bought iTrip, but it keeps fading when I'm on the road. I'm going to try a cassette adapter. MacWorld gave the Nomad adapter a good review. Are there any others (Sony, Radio Shack, etc.) that anyone can recommend?. Thanks for any input. I'm officially a member!

if you want a custom made iPod holder escpecially for you car and the iPod or you cellurlar phone you should contact these guys in Sweden (www.brodit.se). They make custom made carholders for every carmodel and phone out there. The best thing about their products is that you dont have to drill or destroy your console to attach their carholder..
Their english pages seems to be down at the moment but they should have sales agents in the USA. Contact their export mananger [email protected] he knows whois selling their products in the states.

http://www.brodit.se/images/848577.jpg

oranjdisc
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by SomeToast:

A dock connector and a headphone jack connection? Whaaa?

I guess they're wiring the steering wheel controls through the iPod's remote socket. Too bad, I was really hoping there was a way to control the 'Pod through the dock port (unless Dension just didn't know/find/look for a way).
Part of the reason for the dock connection is that the Ice-Link also includes a charger line, so you never have to take the iPod out of the car to re-charge the battery.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:

http://icelink.densionusa.com/

Coming out in November. They claim you'll be able to control the iPod via the stereo buttons on the steering wheel. Now THAT's cool.
just an fyi, you don't need a bmw for this to be your solution... it works for just about every major car maker and major headunit manfucturer.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 12:37 PM

I dunno, I just heard from a few people that tried this that they got bad alternator whine without some type of filter of sorts for the power supply... That being said, I would LOVE to have a hard wired option, I (like many other people) have the iPod wired into my arm rest console so it is relatively self contained in there, but once in a while needs charging... Only then do the ugly wires make themselves known In either event, the more you mention it, the more I think it should be relatively simple... I think I have a new weekend project, and if the wired remote can be spliced to another to extend the length, I think I have a perfect mounting spot in the T/A to control the action!

Rey
ground the connection and you get rid of any alternator whine. it's like a $5 part at radioshack.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 01:38 PM

If your car stereo supports a line-in or any kind of adapter to hook up an external source (CD player, iPod) you should use it.

Those cassette adapters and FM transmitters suck. I would not waste my time using a quality music player like the iPod with a cheesy solution in your car.

If you can afford it, buy a new car stereo that has either the line-in jacks on the front or back, or upgrade to a factory stereo that supports a CD changer input and buy a converter box. The factory solution is more expensive, but the appearance in your dash will look much nicer than most aftermarket head units.

I hooked up my iPod to my truck via a converter box that hooks into my factory stereo. It is a killer setup. NO interference, NO noise. Bought a cell-phone holder and a line splitter from Radio Shack for $40. The converter box cost $80 from www.logjamelectronics.com. The converters come in all flavors for many factory head units, including most American cars and Japanese cars.

You can see a couple photos of my setup here:

www.homepage.mac.com/kkeyes/PhotoAlbum27.html
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules