Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Belkin BT Mouse vs. Apple BT Mouse-- opinions?

Belkin BT Mouse vs. Apple BT Mouse-- opinions?
darkhawk64
Jan 23, 2004, 01:24 AM

Hey everyone-
I've decided that now is the time to get a BT mouse to go with my 15" AlBook, and there are two choices. I can get the Apple one for $55 from the developer store or the Belkin one for $50 from them using the 50% off Macworld coupon. I'm looking for user reviews of these products, especially pertaining to battery life.

The biggest thing that concerns me is that I don't see anyone mentioning the Belkin having an on/off switch like the Apple one does. This means that everytime I put the Belkin one in my bag, I have to take out the batteries and re-pair it again once I want to use it. On the Apple one, I just flip the lid and on it goes and it sees the computer insatantly. Is this info right? The downside to the Apple mouse is the one button. I want two buttons and a scroll, but not if it means taking batteries out and re-pairing.

Any help is appreciated, as always. Thanks!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 08:43 AM

Yep, no on/off switch on the belkin, and yes it is annoying. I leave mine at work most of the time.

I really like the belkin, but there are some issues. No doubt if you have done a search on the forum you'll see there is a trick to set. You do not get a battery level indication in the system perferences for the mouse. I have the Apple BT keyboard and it works perfectly. At work for some reason which I have not been able to identify the mouse keeps lossing connection and reconnects. This only happens at work and not when I have brought the belkin home, I mentioned the keyboard which does not drop off, I am wondering about the BT airport integration that Apple may have done, but that does not explain why it does not happen at home, where I also use airport. I have kinda just accepted it now, but it has gotten so annoying that I have considered getting Apples mouse, but I really use the second and other buttons plus scroll wheel alot. It works with the mac, but belkin could have not a better job.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 12:16 PM

according to the fedex tracking page, my apple bt mouse is arriving tomorrow.

since first getting an ibook last year i have gotten so used to only having one mouse button, it does not bother me anymore. i use a pc and have to remember to right click.

a friend of mine got the apple bt mouse, i tried it out, and knew i had to buy one. it is so nice. it is so comfortable, responsive, and a very nice mouse to use.
like you mentioned the fact that it has an off switch, is worth the price alone. i tried a microsoft wireless mouse and besides the usb adaptor it did not have a off switch, so the thing never went anywhere with me, and i hardly ever used it either.

the apple one, turn it off, throw it in my backpack. no usb devices, no wasted batteries.

darkhawk64  (op)
Jan 23, 2004, 09:40 PM

Well, I ordered the Apple mouse today from the Apple Store. I should get it by Tuesday or so next week. I'll post back with my experiences. Thanks a lot for your opinions on the Belkin mouse. I really appreciate the feedback!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

Forum Links
Forum Rules