Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Java Applets not working

Java Applets not working
confuzedwizard
Feb 13, 2007, 09:36 PM

I'm trying to load a website that uses Java Applets and it's just not working for me (i'm logging into an Audio Request unit via the internet). Few questions. First, is there an alternative software product that acts like java and the computer wouldn't know the difference? Also, how do i download the latest version of java. . I see a whole bunch of stuff on the internet about version 1.4.2 and then version 5 and 6 but doesn't seem you can download either of those (only preview releases)...but the latest version is mysterious and i can't seem to find it.

Works fine from my work PC, but not my Mac at home.

I'm running 10.4.8 of OS X

Any help is greatly appreciated.
( Last edited by confuzedwizard; Feb 14, 2007 at 08:21 AM. )

confuzedwizard  (op)
Feb 15, 2007, 08:13 AM

yeah, seems not too many people are familar with java.

NoMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 01:38 AM

If you have 10.4.8, you're running either Java 1.5.0_06 or _07, depending on whether or not you installed the Feb 15 update or not. Your machine also has 1.4.2 installed. You can configure to use either but it uses 1.5 by default. You can not download anything to change your Java version, except what comes from Apple Software Update (or downloaded from Apple).

Please provide more details of what you are trying to do and what problems you are encountering. Chances are there is nothing you can do but some details might help.

confuzedwizard  (op)
Feb 16, 2007, 09:09 AM

Even after the Feb 15th update. I still cannot do what i want to do.

I'm trying to log into and use an Audio Request Music Server (www.request.com). It's hard to believe, but everytime i log in using Safari, i get the spinning beachball of death. (you won't be able to simulate because you're not connected to a music server)

But i am able to log in using Mozilla. When i do so, the website allows me to change Cover Art for various albums of music. But to do so, you must use java or a java applet of some sort. I can't get it to work. Not in Safari, Explorer, Mozilla or Omniweb. I am able to do it from my work PC. grrr. Any help is greatly appreciated

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 10:49 AM

You could try Java 1.4.2 instead of Java 5.0. One can switch versions in /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences

That's the only idea I have (since you mentioned different versions in your original post).

confuzedwizard  (op)
Feb 16, 2007, 12:01 PM

i tried both versions. neither work.
There has to be a java player alternative, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules