Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod over a network.

ipod over a network.
jersey
Senior User
Dec 12, 2003, 04:40 PM

forgive me if i posted this in the wrong forum, and feel free to move it.

so what i am wondering is can i share my ipod via itunes over a lan at my university? i have tried several things, but i cant seem to get it to work. has anyone gotten this to work or have any suggestions?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2003, 06:39 PM

I know you can access the iPod's files (when it's in disk mode) over a network. I don't think you can use iTunes to play music from an iPod over a network. (as far as I know)

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 07:26 AM

The only way you can share your music from your iPod over a network is by doing it through your iTunes on your mac. But it does it with the music in iTunes (which would most likely be the same music as on your iPod. Go to iTunes, preference and sharing. There you can turn sharing on. Then when a user on the network turns their iTunes on, they will see your shared music. It's a really cool feature. (It will even share to someone on a windows machine running windows iTunes.

Jim

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Dec 13, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by jdhindes:
The only way you can share your music from your iPod over a network is by doing it through your iTunes on your mac. But it does it with the music in iTunes (which would most likely be the same music as on your iPod. Go to iTunes, preference and sharing. There you can turn sharing on. Then when a user on the network turns their iTunes on, they will see your shared music. It's a really cool feature. (It will even share to someone on a windows machine running windows iTunes.

Jim
normally thats what i do..... but i need the 30 gigs on my hard drive, so i just keep the music on the ipod. others on my network keep asking what happened to my music, and i want to let them listen if i can. hmmm..... there has got to be a way.....

wk929
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 07:24 PM

Maybe you could mount the ipod via disk drive, and add links to the files into your iTunes library. So there will be songs in your library, but they're really pointing to mp3's in your iPod's hard drive, not your own hard drive. You can do this by double-clicking the mp3 file if it is set to open iTunes, and it will show up in a list. Just make sure Copy Files to iTunes folder automatically is off. I think you should be able to then use iTunes sharing?

CIA
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 10:06 PM

Go for the one on the Special deals part of Apple's site. This summer I ordered a referb 1st Gen 5GB model from it, and they ran out, shipped me a refurb 2nd Gen 10GB for the same price. It was only $150! At the time it was a great deal.
Whatever iPod you end up with, you will be happy!

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by jersey:
normally thats what i do..... but i need the 30 gigs on my hard drive, so i just keep the music on the ipod. others on my network keep asking what happened to my music, and i want to let them listen if i can. hmmm..... there has got to be a way.....
You could also consider adding an external FW drive. The prices are really quite reasonable -- and your friends will appreciate it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules