Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro: Buy Now or Wait?

Macbook Pro: Buy Now or Wait?
NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2010, 06:45 AM

Hey folks,

My missus is after a replacement for her 2 year old 17" MBP. Should we wait for 17" Core i7 or go for current model, which frankly speaking is also more than enough for her needs? What would YOU do.

Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2010, 07:02 AM

It's quite likely the next revision won't include the i7. The i5 is pretty much a given though.

That said, I'd only buy now if I absolutely needed the MBP now. There's an update bound to happen within the next two months. And even if you don't need any of the new features, I'd still rather pay less for the current feature set. Unless of course you need it right now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2010, 07:04 AM

One question though. If the current generation MBP is sufficient for her needs as you say, what isn't sufficient about the two year old MBP? Just curious.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's quite likely the next revision won't include the i7. The i5 is pretty much a given though.

That said, I'd only buy now if I absolutely needed the MBP now. There's an update bound to happen within the next two months. And even if you don't need any of the new features, I'd still rather pay less for the current feature set. Unless of course you need it right now.
Yeah, but then you run the risk that they'll remove something critical, like the last remaining ExpressCard slot in the lineup.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2010, 07:44 AM

We can get 'June 09 release' unibody for a few hundreds less than Core iX is going to be in February - March, hence the dilemma. Whether to go for cheaper or for newer.

One question though. If the current generation MBP is sufficient for her needs as you say, what isn't sufficient about the two year old MBP? Just curious.
Nothing wrong with her MBP, it is still strong. However she likes the aesthetics of a unibody MBP, it's multi finger touchpad, plus we can sell her MBP for 1/2 of what we paid two years back so why not.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Yeah, but then you run the risk that they'll remove something critical, like the last remaining ExpressCard slot in the lineup.
Which is more than likely completely irrelevant to the scenario described in the original post.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Not really a problem. Get a current generation MBP for hundreds less once the new (and possibly crippled) revision is out. Apart from all kinds of retail offers, there's Apple's own clearance and refurb sections, plus the stock that Apple dealerships will be eager to get rid of. Usually it's not a big issue to get the previous generation model shortly after the new rev has come out.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 3, 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by NeverTriedApple View Post
We can get 'June 09 release' unibody for a few hundreds less than Core iX is going to be in February - March, hence the dilemma. Whether to go for cheaper or for newer.
You'll be able to get Mid 2009 MBP models even once the Early 2010 models are released. And they'll be significantly cheaper too.

However, in order to properly determine what's the best deal you need to know the specs of the Early 2010 models first. IOW you need to wait until the actual release happens. As I understand you're in no special hurry. So you might as well wait. It's only going to become cheaper.

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys. Will see how it goes and advise back.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2010, 04:20 PM

You'll be able to get Mid 2009 MBP models even once the Early 2010 models are released. And they'll be significantly cheaper too.

However, in order to properly determine what's the best deal you need to know the specs of the Early 2010 models first. IOW you need to wait until the actual release happens. As I understand you're in no special hurry. So you might as well wait. It's only going to become cheaper.
That's great advice! Once the new models are released, you'll get terrific deals on the previous generation. Plus, if the new generation has something you really want, you'll have a significant choice to make--which is a good position to be in.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2010, 07:26 PM

Since hers is only 2 years old and the next bump will be so significant (40% for many CPU bound tasks), I say wait. I also expect quad core i7 to be at least an option on the 17".
( Last edited by mduell; Jan 4, 2010 at 02:18 AM. )

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2010, 11:12 AM

Here's an update. Yesterday we went to visit local Apple Store as missus wanted to familiarise herself with current 15 & 17 inch models. Contrary to popular advice to wait we ended up with one Antiglare 15" 2.8/4GB/500GB MBP for her and 2.13/2GB/128 MBA for me. I realise there's an update around the corner but personally I didn't feel like waiting a few months before new models come out, mature and get revised. Plus the temptation was just too high! So we're all set for now until upgrade bug starts again.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2010, 12:41 PM

So she actually ended up going from a 17" to a 15"?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2010, 01:09 PM

Reminds me of the old adage: never go shopping while you're hungry!

On the plus side, you're both happy now! So, congratulations!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2010, 01:27 PM

My MBP is a 1st generation CD and is now over 3 years old.

I'm waitin'.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2010, 02:26 PM

So she actually ended up going from a 17" to a 15"?
That's right. At least for now. Go figure.

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Reminds me of the old adage: never go shopping while you're hungry!

On the plus side, you're both happy now! So, congratulations!
Thank you, kind Sir

Forum Links
Forum Rules