Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Do iPhone users hold on to their devices much much longer than Android users?

Do iPhone users hold on to their devices much much longer than Android users?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2012, 10:32 AM

The same argument as in Macintosh TCO, experience, quality and longevity, are Android users generally dissatisfied with their non-updating OS and replacing their sets much more often?
Does the average iPhone user keep their iPhone due to staying useful, added to the cost of replacement?

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2012, 11:19 AM

Don't know how others will answer this question but I still have an iPhone 2G, originally purchased in Oct 2007.

I am ready to get a 4S, though. I've finally gotten tired of its slowness. Also, lots of apps now require iOS 4.0 or 4.2, which means the newest versions aren't compatible with it (the original iPhone is limited to iOS 3.1.3).

-Q-
Jan 25, 2012, 11:27 AM

Hard to say. With Apple releasing a new phone almost annually, it does allow for those on 2-year contracts to upgrade pretty easily at the end of their contract cycle. That's what I have typically done.

I wonder if, though, due to the longer life cycle of the iPhone and its OS upgrades that there's a much larger secondary market of iPhones out there due to resale or hand-me-downs? I know that's how my household became an 'iPhone family:' I just hand down my phone to the people who need it at the time.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2012, 01:41 PM

At least in the US, I don't think longevity is an issue. You get a two year contract, and when it's up, you get a new phone. Phones are like leasing cars - for most people it doesn't really matter whether or not your current phone is still serving your needs, you just get a new one because the contract is up.

That said, my 3GS does NOT work perfectly any more. The biggest problem is that the internal speakers are shot and I can't hear the ringer. There are others. But mostly is still works fine, and when I get a new phone (and I will, soon) my 3GS will soldier on as my kid's iPod.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2012, 02:31 PM

If you like to fiddle, you'd be amazed at the improvement you can get from a 3G/S by opening it up and removing fluff from inside the speaker grill.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 25, 2012, 04:42 PM

I still keep hanging on to my 3G, because it still works. It runs 4.2, so no iCloud etc. but thats fine with me. The only time where I have seen limitations, was when downloading Flipboard. Another thing is that - at least here in Denmark - I find the new iPhones very expensive (a 4S 16Gb, sim-free is US$825)....

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by eyadams View Post
At least in the US, I don't think longevity is an issue. You get a two year contract, and when it's up, you get a new phone. Phones are like leasing cars - for most people it doesn't really matter whether or not your current phone is still serving your needs, you just get a new one because the contract is up.
You seem to be forgetting the $200/300/400 plus taxes on the unsubsidized iPhone cost that needs to be paid on upgrade day.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2012, 01:23 PM

You seem to be forgetting the $200/300/400 plus taxes on the unsubsidized iPhone cost that needs to be paid on upgrade day.
No, I just don't think that's a major factor in most people's decision process. I think the analogy with a leased car is quite apt - it doesn't matter that the old phone still works, it doesn't matter that there are significant up front costs: new contract also means new phone. At least, in the U.S.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2012, 09:19 PM

Is it possible to ascertain how many older iPhones are still in service?

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Is it possible to ascertain how many older iPhones are still in service?
Do web site statistics keep track of visit by type of iPhone? I've seen stats showing OS used and by type of desktop/laptop used but not sure I've seen it by type of iPhone.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2012, 08:41 PM

It is so common that previous generation iPhones are passed down to iphoners' babies, with Internet access locked down, that any online sampling would be hugely biased against the infant marketshare

Forum Links
Forum Rules