Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook owners UNITE!

12" Powerbook owners UNITE!
iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 06:03 PM

Just wanted to see how many MacNN members have a 12" PB. I always hear about how much better the 15" and 17" are compared to my lil beauty, but some how I feel that owning a 12" PB is like being part of a cult following, in the same sense as with the Pismo (I know I know, I shouldn't even compare today's 'books with the Pismos functionality). I find myself using this 12" for the next 3-4 years easy, and I was wondering if anybody here agrees that it's a POWERbook and not a suped up iBook. Let's have a who, what, when, where, and why about our little gems, how bout it?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

metallic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 06:20 PM

i dont have one yet....but i want one
i have a titanium atm.

but yes....i ADORE the 12" its so cute and small and sleek and beautiful
the ONLY thing i wish it had is a backlit keyboard.

ive played with the new 15's and the 17's and while they are great to be used as desktop replacements (like i use my titanium) they arent anywhere near as portable.
the 12" looks and feels more sleek too...i dont know why, maybe its just me.

so while i dont have one, i am obsessed with them

i was actually just searching yahoo.com images for pictures of peoples 12" pbs
heh
[/mainframe]

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 06:31 PM

I have a new 12" PowerBook coming next week!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 06:47 PM

Hey Tekno what gives? Didn't you have a Rev B? I don't want to remind you of a cetain post you made to another member telling him/her to bypass this update and wait for the next one? What made you switch your mind, just curious because I have the same PB you had and I was wondering what made you update?

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 06:54 PM

I got a Rev C for only $120 more than what I sold my Rev B for...I wouldnt have upgraded if I didnt get that deal.
( Last edited by tekno_geek911; Jun 23, 2004 at 07:03 PM. )

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 07:08 PM

Rev A 12"/640meg/Superdrive PowerBook G4 owner.
March 2003

Mel

Todd Parker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 07:37 PM

see sig,

I would only get the 12inch cause im going abroad for a year to the Uk and australia. Now i can bring my full seasons of seinfeld and curb with me on the flights
12'' Powerbook rev C. Bone Stock

Euston Square on 8/24/2004

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 07:39 PM

So far i love it...use it at work all day--lots of designing in photoshop. I use desktop manager to utilize a little extra desktop space (which makes this machine perfect)...comes with me everywhere

REAL Portable machine here!

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 07:55 PM

I just wish they would upgrade the screens on them. It's a real disgrace when compared to the 15" and 17" as well as lots of PCs.

My own personal opinion is that the AL looks great and sleek but heats up way too much. A real design flaw. Looks over function.Willing to bet the G5s will not be AL but instead some plastic or composite.

But, it is a great travel/portable machine and works quite well for me as a desktop replacement with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 09:13 PM

I got my new Rev C about a month ago. I upgraded from a G3 iBook. What a huge difference.

I'm about to begin a 2 year study in Web Design. Unfortunately they use peecee at the college, but they Macromedia. Man, are the other students gonna be jealous or what hehehehe.

t500
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 09:41 PM

I carry around a 12inch rev a wih 640 megs of ram and a superdrive. Its great for on the go jobs, or catching up on some news when I can't get to my G5.

robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 09:57 PM

I think I have a Rev B its a 1ghz 12 in with superdrive, 768mb and airport card. Because I tracel so much, this 12in G4 replaced my G4 desktop.
Its not exactly the same compared to the desktop, but its a great machine.

Rob

variable06
Jun 23, 2004, 10:24 PM

I've had my Rev. A since last August. It replaced a G3-upgraded Power Mac 8600 and has been my sole machine ever since. It is without a doubt the best machine I have ever owned!

t4r1q
Jun 23, 2004, 10:59 PM

im going to get a:

12" rev c. combo
w/ 768mb ram

but until then, im obsessing over them much like metallic

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 11:15 PM

I've had my 12" for a little over a month. Totally stock SD 1.33ghz model. Except I added 1gb of RAM. So far its been perfect.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 11:23 PM

RevB. 12" 1 Ghz 640mb SuperDrive

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 11:24 PM

One month down, many more to go...got it hooked up wireless at home, with a dual display setup. Altec Lansing speaker system tops it off along with my PowerMate from Griffin Technologies. Can't wait for my Airport Express to ship. Rock on, Apple.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 12:06 AM

Rev C. 1.33Ghz, 768mb Combo Drive.

Best machine to switch to.

Would like (option to brighten screen - could use it when plugged or unplugged (knowing it drains extra power)

higher resolution would be nice but not needed

backlit keyboard (i used a photon led light, placed it against a key, and covered it with my finger (wrapped around the bulb so it wouldnt blind me). i was marveling over the glow that came from the other keys .. man .. i think it would be nice (as eye candy)

and if the desktop doesnt space the icons out so much .. i dunno why it does .. but that's really just a minor gripe. i use a folder on the desktop to carry all the icons that "would" normally occupy my desktop. not a problem at all

i would never be able to carry a 15 or 17 widescreen around, and the portability of this machine is one of the reasons why i purchased it =)

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 12:46 AM

dandy little machine. Rev C 80 gig 768 Ram 1.33. It's fast and snappy. i've had it for 3 month. i'm using it to edit video documentary. even using small screen without added monitor works just fine. It is very portable. I can work anywhere, quite a change from darkened isolating editing rooms of the past. I can travel and work.
i'm having no problems with crashes or other flaws with panther and final cut pro is super since 4 came out. I enjoy reading news stories using powerbook. It's portable like a book. , yet I can have an editing suite, international radio reciever/walkman/ newspaper in a knapsack. wow. i still enjoy reading books- real ones.
peace-mel

8minute
Jun 24, 2004, 12:51 AM

I've had my 12" PB RevC 1.25G Ram, Superdrive, 80G HDD for about a month now and I am totally infatuated. It's my first Mac and my first Apple since my IIGS way back when ...

I love have a fully featured laptop in a small enclosure. And OS X is a very nice change from Windows!

Gripes .... for some reason my Griffin Powermate doesn't work with my PB. I've installed the software, but when you plug it in the Powermate does not light up. Works fine on my PC ...

Heat ... it's much cooler than the Compaq and Dell laptops I have used at work. Left palm rest gets a bit warm from the HDD ... but I'd rather the case dissapate the heat than trap it inside.

I initially thought the screen resolution would be an issue. I used to plug it into my 17" LCD at home, but I found recently just using without external display is fine .. I guess you just adjust to it. I mainly doing browsing, email, photshop and after effects compositing on the machine.

And I agree with Lancer409 ... the spacing of the desktop icons bugs me too! But that's a minor thing =)

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 01:24 AM

I have a 12" PowerBook, but haven't followed this particular forum as closely as I used to, so...

[DUMBEST QUESTION EVER]

If I bought it new last July (about 50 weeks ago), what version is it? Rev. A, B or C.

[/DUMBEST QUESTION EVER]

<prepares for inevitable eyerolls which will follow>

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 01:40 AM

Rev C with 768mb ram. It's working excellently for dual head with a 19" CRT. Do all my graphic design work on it. A real wonder.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
I have a 12" PowerBook, but haven't followed this particular forum as closely as I used to, so...

[DUMBEST QUESTION EVER]

If I bought it new last July (about 50 weeks ago), what version is it? Rev. A, B or C.

[/DUMBEST QUESTION EVER]

<prepares for inevitable eyerolls which will follow>
That would be the Rev A.

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: I'm somewhere in the Northwest...its raining...and I love it!
Jun 24, 2004, 02:50 AM

Oh, I was conflicted a month ago. I went back and forth between a 15" and a 12" Rev C. I went into the local Apple Store four times before finally making up my mind on the 12". Standing there comparing for the last time before going home and ordering from the online store (wanted the 80GB drive), I suddenly remembered my last favorite laptop, the original Dual USB 12" iBook. Its only real problem was slightly sluggish performance, and that was with the first release of OSX. I sold it before Panther, but I bet Panther runs on it fine.

My 12" Rev C. PowerBook w/ 1GB RAM, 1.33 Ghz, SuperDrive, 80GB HD, is absolute perfection. I've owned 6 notebooks, 2 Intel based, 4 Apple. Never has a notebook been so flawless and so portable at the same time. This has the power of a desktop (iMac specifically), while being in the strictest terms, a sub-notebook. Comparable sub-notebooks sold by MS/Intel OEMs with all the features of Apple's 12" PB will only leave you with nearly the same price point as Apple's. Sony, HP, I think even Dell (could be worng) all are at nearly the same price. If you want to get a desktop replacement, you either need to have a monitor, or get the 17" for the screen. Which makes the 15" moot. So if you travel, you know the lighter...the better.

And by the way, with an external monitor, the 12" is very much a "desktop" replacement. Now what I want to see is a "notebook" replacement for the desktop?

nesuser2
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 03:01 AM

Yay! Here I am!

12" 1.33 with 256mb ram and 60gb hard drive I believe...never really have to worry about it anyways. I'm really pretty much a die hard PC user...since I'm going to school and majoring in computer networking and most things are taught on PC and I've learned everything I know on a PC. However, I really like to switch over to my Mac when it's just computer time. I'm working on trying out some video editing since I've already got the camcorder. Overall, the Mac world really intrigues me to do something awesome with my life...the judge being only myself. I truely enjoy creativity and that is what Mac means to me. As far as other peoples gripes...they seem small. I would just like a task bar so when i multitasked I didn't have to mess with finding things and all of the palettes could be in the same window but maybe I just haven't adapted yet.

BIGGEST GRIPE: Where my IRC client for Mac that doesn't eat dirt?

Best part: Quiet, Cool(exception being left palmrest but understandable), Good looking, Rock solid OS, Portability(Overall height), BATTERY LIFE, and of course..the awesome Apps!

metallic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by nesuser2:

tried X-chat?

its free...and i think its a great irc client
[/mainframe]

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 11:30 AM

Wow didn't expect this many posts so quickly. Great to hear from all of you guys/gals, keep it up.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 12:16 PM

I've had my 12" baby since they came out in the UK.

It's still perfect and beautiful

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2004, 12:36 PM

12" revB owner here.

All I can say is finally a notebook computer that lives up to its name... I love it!

It is my only computer I really use. I do have a PC desktop, but I only use to for a Digital Audio Workstation as the main software I have is PC only. Though I did sell my PCI M-Audio interface and got their new firewire one, so I can do audio work on both the PC and powerbook now. Did I mention GarageBand + self-powered firewire interface + PowerBook = great and highly portable solution to get song ideas down quickly and easily?

I do have an external 17" LCD that I sometimes use when needing extra screen space. Though at the moment it is hooked to the PC, as I need to get switch so I can have it hooked to both (I never use both at the same time, but a switch would be nice so I don't have to unplug and re-plug the cable all the time).

wily
Jun 24, 2004, 12:45 PM

2 weeks now on my new Rev. 3 12"PB.

I use 4 Macs - G5, G4, iMac, PB...and sold my TiBook for the PB.

The 12" model is truly a "notebook" computer - it isn't a desktop
replacement, but it doesn't have to be, either.

Though the TiBook screen was sweet, the benefits of the 12" outweigh
the screen and that's saying something.

Altair
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 12:47 PM

Get iRC. It is the most like mIRC, has more features than xchat and doesn't require running x11 to use. It does occasionaly give you a message (in the window) to register but it's not very annoying.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 02:24 PM

In addition to what's been mentioned, you might want to check out Colloquy
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 03:40 PM

Rev B with 768 megs of RAM, and I love it. Upgraded from a Ti 800, and I am happier then ever carrying this around instead. I would never have dragged my Ti overseas, but here I am in Europe with my 12 inch, hooked into my friend's ADSL and enjoying the reactions and praise everyone who sees it heaps.

Perfect size, just enough power and solid.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 05:13 PM

12 inch rev. b here. I love it for all 4 months that I have owned it.
12.1" Powerbook G4

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 05:18 PM

Rev. B / 768 MB

Best Mac yet this robot has owned.

Which begs the larger question: Can robots own?
I, ASIMO.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 05:32 PM

Anyone notice a major difference in performance between having 768 ram and 1.25 GB ram? Just wondering.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 06:16 PM

Well a good place to start if you want to see if you'll benefit from more RAM is to check out your page in and page outs located in the activity monitor.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2004, 07:17 PM

Well, I guess it's my turn to chime in. I just purchased a Rev. C (combo model) Love it. The build quality is much much better than that of my Rev. A or B were. I also ordered a 1gb dimm to max out the ram. A true desktop replacement once I get my new 20" ACD.

cs

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Rev. B / 768 MB

Best Mac yet this robot has owned.

Which begs the larger question: Can robots own?
The answer is Yes, this was proven without a doubt in Bicentennial man .. lol j/k .. hehe nice name

Dr.Michael
Jun 25, 2004, 05:16 AM

I have a rev b since it came out last october.

Great machine. The last one that was as useful was indeed the Pismo. I was never very comfortable with the TiBooks. Althought the screensize was nice, carrying around was a pain.

The 12 inch is a real companion because it does what I need, looks great (a little like the old classic Powerbooks 100, 3400 etc.) and travels everywhere I go.

By far the best notebook I had since my good old Pismo/500.

I agree with iRez that I want to keep this one for a longer time. No need to replace, like the Pismo. And the first one since the Pismo where I thought "I must have this one" as I first saw it. Was hard to wait until rev b came out.

Definitely a cult because one of the rare machines that are great all over.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Jun 25, 2004 at 05:21 AM. )

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2004, 07:04 AM

I love the 12 inch PB. I bring it back and forth to work daily. Great computer.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2004, 07:46 AM

Just got a refurbed 12" rev b for �809, too good an oppurtunity to pass up. It seems to be in excellent condition, a little bit warped (wobbles a bit on a table) but fine by me. It's just a shame the power adaptor lasted 1 day (two charges) before it died completely. A new one is on it's way.

I couldn't afford it, but I couldn't afford my imacG3 four years ago which is still going strong. It amazes me I've now got a tiny machine that cost less, is twice as powerful, came with twice the stock memory and twice the storage than my imac.

I got mine for 3 reasons:
a) Whenever I need a laptop for work they never have one available
b) I need something really portable for using on the train yet which I can use for editing video / websites / typing
c) I can now get on a computer at home whilst my girlfriend looks at clothes/make-up/wedding dresses/puppies on the internet or my daughter is playing winnie the pooh.

The only down side is my girlfriend now wants a new toy (puppy) to compensate. Oh well, anything to let me keep this machine!

plasticmoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 02:52 PM

I've got one, absolutely love it.

The ultimate portable machine - does everything I need, smoothly, quickly and without incident and it doesn't hurt that it's dead sexy

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 06:02 PM

Do any of you find the screen too small?

I code all day long and am looking for a replacement for my Pismo (I think).
The resolution is the same, but is it hard to read for extended periods of time?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

meatyocre
Jun 25, 2004, 09:32 PM

I have the 12" PB 867mhz Rev A. W/ 640mb, Airport extreme ram. Over a year of moderate/heavy use and have had ZERO problems. I also use Win XP, so I know all about computer problems. Anyway owning this machine has been truly an awesome experience - ultra stable OSX, ultra portable, loaded with features. I recently acquired a SE T610 Bluetooth Phone and it works like a dream with the PB. Wireless dial-up connection anywhere to check up on things!

I have watched the latest releases with 64mb video, USB 2.0, Better Processor and I am dying to upgrade. Let's keep this thread going!!!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 10:58 PM

So does anyone find the screen too small for extended use, coding and text editing?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

TerryJ
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 11:37 PM

I use my 12" 1GHz/512/SD/AE all day, every day for my consulting business. It could not be any more perfect when at a client's office or on the road. When I am in my office I just plug up to my Sony 15" LCD and the monitor spanning is awesome to give plenty of work space. The SuperDrive makes a complete package, sooooooooooo...........why is it we need desktops again??? LOL!

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 01:37 AM

I think the screen is very workable, it's a bit smaller then the Pismo but I haven't noticed any difference. I would get an external if your planning to code alot at home, but to tell ya the truth I bought an external and I hardly use it now (just so you know I'm a graphic design student and contantly use illustrator, photoshop, and the like). I absolutely love the fact that soo many of us have responded, I've been wanting to start this thread for awhile but always thought there weren't many people to respond....boy was I wrong. Glad to hear all the positive reviews and comments, face it boys/gals were in a cult now .

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by variable06:
my Rev. A .... It is without a doubt the best machine I have ever owned!
quoted for emphasis.

it's in for repair right now, but I love it to death. (fifteen-year Mac user here)

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 09:41 AM

I have no complaints with the screen size. I am a psychologist and do a lot of word processing (reports), and feel comfortable with the size of the screen. For example, using word, with the floating palette is not a problem at all. The screen never seems to tight. I choice the 12"simply for the portability. As much as I like the 15"/17", i am not sure I would like to travel around with everyday.
I know nothing about coding or the programs you use, but if you felt more desktop space is necessary, an external monitor will give you tons of space. I tried it with an old 17" NEC monitor I have. It works nicely, I choice not to use it that much.
The IBM Thinkpads have that Port Replicator. Does a company make a similar product for the PBs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules