Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook owners UNITE!

12" Powerbook owners UNITE! (Page 6)
Insimbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 03:07 PM

I just purchased a 12" 1.5Ghz, 512MB, 60GB, Combo Drive. I am a PC user, but I bought the 12" to get back into OSX. So far it's awesome. Just a couple of questions:

1) How do I tell what revision I have?
2) When the lid is closed, one side doesn't completely touch (rubber pad) - is that ok?
3) When tilting the screen towards you, above the "PowerBook G4" logo, if you tilt it just right, you can see some light from the screen - like it's not completely tight against the casing around the screen. Maybe I'm just being way too picky.

Thanks!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Insimbi:
I just purchased a 12" 1.5Ghz, 512MB, 60GB, Combo Drive. I am a PC user, but I bought the 12" to get back into OSX. So far it's awesome. Just a couple of questions:

1) How do I tell what revision I have?
2) When the lid is closed, one side doesn't completely touch (rubber pad) - is that ok?
3) When tilting the screen towards you, above the "PowerBook G4" logo, if you tilt it just right, you can see some light from the screen - like it's not completely tight against the casing around the screen. Maybe I'm just being way too picky.

Thanks!
As you can tell from this page http://lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html you have a revision D Powerbook. As far as the other issues I couldn't really tell you, best to call apple and let them know or take it back to the apple store.

Insimbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 05:23 PM

The lid problem looks to be pretty normal from this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=247893

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2005, 07:13 PM

You can hook up both computers using an ethernet cable.

Activate FileSharing on the Wallstreet (under control panel) and set up an account name and password.

In the new PB under "Go", select "Connect to Server" then "browse" - you should see the Wallstreet and log in to that account.

This should mount your Wallstreet HD on the new PB.

Originally posted by ghostgrrl:
I've been enjoying my new 12" PB for a little over two weeks now and have been amazed by its performance and build quality thus far. No warping, screen is nice and bright, fan and hard disk are very quiet. I was reading the above post with great interest, because I'm now trying to determine what's the best (fastest, safest and most economical) way to transfer files from my old Wallstreet 300/OS 9.2.2 (which unfortunately has no firewire connection.) I've done a search in this forum and ethernet has come up, but I've never used ethernet before. Can anyone provide a link for step by step instructions if I choose this route? The Help menu on my PB is kind of vague, especially when discussing manually configuring TCP/IP settings.

Thanks in advance.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 07:47 PM

I'm still leaning towards an iBook or 12" PowerBook for my next upgrade from my TiBook but likely won't pull the trigger for another rev or two.

I've found a way to test my tolerance for the lower screen resolution by hooking up the TiBook to my TV in 1024x768 mirror mode, changing the LCD resolution back to 1280x854, and unhooking the TV cable, effectively giving me a 12.5" (slightly larger than the iBook's and 12" PB's 12.1") centered 1024x748 display on the 1280x854 LCD.

And you know...it's not that bad. I'm using it right now. I've become used to using Command-Tab to switch between applications and an Expos� hot corner to find buried windows since Panther came out. I have to scrunch a few windows horizontally a little (Firefox web browser and the Unison news reader), but that's about it. My dock, which has quite a few application icons, is just as navigable as before.

The only adjustments I'm anticipating are reorienting my hands for the keyboard (my hands hug the sides of my TiBook a little bit sometimes), the lack of Gigabit ethernet (I use it to move stuff to and from my Gigabit-equipped PC) and the debatable 12" screen quality issue (how good an approximation is my TiBook screen resolution test?).

And ANYTHING I buy now will blow away my TiBook speed-wise and wireless-wise, so I have that to look forward to.

Voch

Dr.Michael
Mar 8, 2005, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by Voch:

And you know...it's not that bad.
Right you are.
I used my 12 inch pb side by side with a Ti867. The Ti screen is gorgous compared to the 12inch screen: brighter (compare a floodlight to a candle :o), more contrast, better colors, better viewing angle.
But in everyday use the 12inch screen is alright. The compact formfactor (if you carry it around), the improved keyboard and the easier typing (because it is smaller the forearms don't lie on the palmrest any more) are the real benefits. A larger screen cannot replace these ones.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
Right you are.
I used my 12 inch pb side by side with a Ti867. The Ti screen is gorgous compared to the 12inch screen: brighter (compare a floodlight to a candle :o), more contrast, better colors, better viewing angle.
I had the original iceBook (iBook/500/DVD) and the screen was great, but now I think I'm spoiled by the TiBook's incredible screen. I have a while to see what Apple comes up with anyway...maybe I'll grab another refurb 15" when the time comes.

Voch

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 02:45 PM

I have a 12'' PB.. at college.. its great.. creates attention... excellent for media (newspaper) layout, etc.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 02:50 PM

I must say that I think the screen on the 12" iBook and Powerbook is horrible. Why is it that companies like Sony and HP can make a 12" screen that is extremely bright, yet Apple cannot? I would grab a 12" just for portability if the screen were brighter.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 02:53 PM

What makes it horrible...?
I have no complaints about it... turn the lights down, and its bright enough

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2005, 03:03 PM

I have a 12 inch powerbook, rev. D and love it. However, part of me wishes I waited a year to buy it so I could get Tiger, and have/try the new MacTel Powerbooks. But I plunked in and bought it knowing all these things, and even if a part of me regrets, in the end, I love my powerbook, and would do the buying process all over again, because it's one of those investments that measure up to a long term profit. It has a great form factor, small foot print, light weight, and does what I need it to do. Plus sitting down at school, work, or a cafe/bookstore, I am the envy of everyone's eyes. PC's surround me but as eyes peer over to their laptops, everyone stops at my powerbook the longest to admire what I have. No problems what so ever, the beauty of Mac OS X, the beauty of Apple.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by teney7
What makes it horrible...?
I have no complaints about it... turn the lights down, and its bright enough

You just answered your own question. The fact that you have to turn the lights down in order to see the screen tells all. I was in the Apple store today, they have the 15" and 12" side by side, and there is a HUGE difference. Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine and all, but I don't feel that I should have to plunk down 2000.00 just to have an Apple laptop with an acceptable screen. We already pay a premium for the hardware, so why should the screen be second rate?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2005, 04:57 PM

i've posted this a half-dozen times here at macnn (yet here i am again... )

when i put my revC 12" next to my girlfriend's revC 15" pb...the screen pales.
her's is brighterm sharper.

on it's own, i'm fine. just a little envious (plus wish i had the backlit keys!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 10:48 PM

I bought my Apple Powerbook 12" Rev. D 1.5 Ghz G4 1.25GB of Memory 60GB HD Combo Drive July 2005. It's a nice little machine and the RAM upgrade from 512 MB has improved performance greatly. My old 1Ghz TiPB was a great machine, but 2 long years has taken its toll. I figured I wouldn't spend a lot on this laptop so I could rationalize getting a new Intel based 15" PB when they come out unless of course I get really comfortable with the 12"

I think the 12" definitely draws more stares than my 15" did for some reason.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Yeast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 06:16 AM

I wanted a SupeDrive for my 12 inch Powerbook. For virtually the same price I could have a 12 inch Powerbook and a 20 inch ACD or a 15 inch Powerbook.

Yeah, the screen on the 15 inch is way better than the 12 inch. But I think my overall setup blows the 15 inch out of the water.

Dewaine
Aug 26, 2005, 11:11 AM

I just switched from PC to Mac, and have a 12" Powerbook. I really like it so far. I am still half lost around the OS (am a windows power user) but as I "get it" I like it.

I have pushed it to 1.25 gig of ram and that seemed to make a difference in the speed. I really like the 12" form factor, easy to carry.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2005, 11:23 AM

yeah, for me the screen (&backlit keys, sigh) are NOT a dealbreaker.

i love throwing the 12" into my backpack, or carrying around the home in one hand...
the size is great, and it invites travel...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2005, 05:18 AM

12in Powerbook, 1.33, Superdrive, 768 RAM, the works. Having fun with it in Japan.

Everyone loves my little laptop here.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2005, 01:04 PM

i had to go without my 12" for a week. all i had was a cube to use while it was gone and ohhh man...i really was aching for my 12". best powerbook ever! IMHO, but then again i did start this thread .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

klamyfeat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 03:01 PM

I love my 12" Rev D PB! It's the perfect size and the keyboard rocks (better than my Apple BT wireless keyboard for sure). The screen brightness/sharpness is a little disappointing when you DIRECTLY compare it to the 15" PB or a PC laptop but when you're actually using the 12" PB, the screen is more than adequate.

I'm always surprised when other people complain that the 12" PB is too small because if you actually use a laptop as a portable computer, the 12" form factor is definitely the most versatile (good size screen, good size keyboard but small enough to put on any desk or fold-down tray).

Tru2Chevy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 04:40 PM

Hello! I'm new to the Mac world, just bought a used 12" powerbook from a friend. He said it was broken and Apple was gonna charge him $800 to fix it, so he sold it to me for $30

I got it and it worked fine. Wiped the HD and upgraded to 10.4 just in case he was having a software issue with it. The only other problem is a small dent in the case and the keyboard is missing the D and G keys, so I plan on finding a used keyboard on ebay and modding it with a backlight before I install it.

It's a 1.33/256mb RAM/60GB hdd/superdrive

I already ordered a 1GB stick of RAM to speed things up.

- Justin

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Hello! I'm new to the Mac world, just bought a used 12" powerbook from a friend. He said it was broken and Apple was gonna charge him $800 to fix it, so he sold it to me for $30

I got it and it worked fine. Wiped the HD and upgraded to 10.4 just in case he was having a software issue with it. The only other problem is a small dent in the case and the keyboard is missing the D and G keys, so I plan on finding a used keyboard on ebay and modding it with a backlight before I install it.

- Justin

check the web (for example, pbparts.com) & u can find the specific keys u need.
if everything is working after a clean 10.4 install...that's the best deal i've ever heard of!

Tru2Chevy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 07:05 PM

Yup, fresh install of 10.4.3, and everything seems good so far. I've only had it since Tuesday afternoon, but 2+ days of no problems sounds pretty good to me.

I was thinking about just getting replacement keys, but some of the other keys aren't functioning right or are hard to press down. I've found a few keyboards with 30 day guarantees on ebay for under $60, so I'm prolly just gonna grab one of those and call it a day.

- Justin

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 09:27 PM

Ordered my Rev A the day they were announced at the Keynote. Great machine and extremely easy to take with me on my busy business travel schedule. Much better aesthetic shape than the icebook I had before it.

I am really interested in the next PB's and really hope they still keep this small form factor. Only now, much thinner.

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 06:42 AM

My first PB was a Lombard at 14". My second PB was the Rev A TiBook. My wife has a 14" iBook 700 Mhz. Then I bought a 12" Rev A AlBook.

Out of all the PBs, I cherish the 12" Rev A AlBook. I'm hoping that there is a 12" or 13" MacIntel PB with dual monitor and hopefully they won't get rid of FW400. I have my DV camera, hard drives, and external DVD-R drive to hook up. It would be just absolute rubbish if Apple decided to drop FW from the low end PB or iBook.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 01:39 AM

- Justin
Congradulations Justin. It sounds like you got a good deal there.
Agent69

im_noahselby
Senior User
Dec 18, 2005, 10:11 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm thinking of selling my 1.33Ghz 12" PB (rev c), before January to upgrade to the Intel iBooks that are coming out. I think its a safe bet that they are going to rock.

If the rumor that Apple is canning the 12" PB is true, then you can expect that the new iBooks will be in a higher league than they are in now. They will have to be to make up for the loss of a popular member of the PB family. With features such as: Intel, widescreen, higher resolution, slimmer sleeker design, etc, I cant see why many 12" PB users would want to keep their machines.

My gut is telling me that they are going to be awesome and hugely popular. January 11th can't come soon enough...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 08:18 AM

- Justin
Wow Congrats thats an awesome deal seriously!!!

Tru2Chevy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
Congradulations Justin. It sounds like you got a good deal there.
Originally Posted by jdiddy
Wow :shock: Congrats thats an awesome deal seriously!!!
Yea, I'm pretty happy about it. I got my RAM in, now it doesn't hesitate at all. I'm still getting used to OS X, since I haven't used a Mac regularly since high school in the late 90's. So far, so good though. I'm getting used to it and all the software that is out there for it as well.

-Justin

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 02:56 PM

sorry for reviving such an old post, but i just purchased a macbook pro and JUST sold my 12" powerbook on ebay

it was my baby, my first 'new' mac and i wish i could afford keeping it, but college calls.

i do have a better computer now, but when i was getting my 12" ready for shipping...i realized how much i LOVE its size. im slightly mourning its depart and hopefully its new owner will give it as much love as i did when i used it. goodbye baby iRez, you'll be missed.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2006, 03:23 PM

That is sad. I am a 12 inch PB owner. It is in pretty sad condition by now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 01:11 AM

iRez, cheer up. The 12" PB was a neat little machine, but the MB is also a very nice portable Mac. Although you will quickly notice that it is quite a bit wider than the 12" PB, it's got a beautiful high-resolution screen. Hope you like it!

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 03:46 PM

The best part of it is, is that the Rev D powerbook will never be obsolete. It's the most powerful PPC laptop and it will always be.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2006, 08:01 PM

How do I know which Rev I have? Someone posted to go to http://lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html but I didn't find it there.

My PB has: Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
Machine Model: PowerBook6,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.0f0

Thanks!
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 08:20 PM

Rev D I believe.

b33faroni
Jul 20, 2006, 08:44 PM

yea its a 1.5 Ghz so its D

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by NateEssex
How do I know which Rev I have?
It's simple by looking at which CPU clock speed your 12" has.

rev A: 867 MHz
rev B: 1 GHz
rev C: 1.33 GHz
rev D: 1.5 GHz

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 03:14 PM

I have a rev. D 12" PB, SD, BT, AE, and the thing is great, but I'm really dying for some more screen space. I'm having a really hard time letting the 12" go though! I'm thinking of just maxing out the RAM and getting an external display and calling it a day. I love the portability, being able to lay in bed with it and work, and everyone seems to be so intrigued by it. And the battery life is great and it's great for road trips and the AE works really well. It handles all of my apps, multitasking, and everything else GREAT right now, so I'm thinking boosting the RAM (768 now) will really make a great difference. It's completely stable, faster than ANY pc I've owned (I've owned several high end machines) and it handles everything I throw at it. I just wish it had a brighter screen with higher resolution and a backlit keyboard. Damn comprimises! lol

Collin973
Jul 21, 2006, 06:21 PM

I have a Rev b 12" Powerbook at 1 GHZ with 768 mb of ram, combo drive, APE and BT. I bought it to play around with OS X before I buy the next revision mbp. I'm going to sell it soon. So, if any one is interested in buy this from me in the next couple weeks, please PM me. It's a really sweet notebook and I'm proud to say I'm an owner.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 06:51 PM

collin973, macnn frowns on sales in non marketplace forums. you could post it in the marketplace and good luck. i just sold mine which is almost identical to yours for $600 (not too happy with the ammount i made, but hey...what are you gonna do right).

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 07:26 PM

Rev A. 867mhz 1GB Ram 100GB

Collin973
Jul 21, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
collin973, macnn frowns on sales in non marketplace forums. you could post it in the marketplace and good luck. i just sold mine which is almost identical to yours for $600 (not too happy with the ammount i made, but hey...what are you gonna do right).
My apologies to you and Macnn. I didn't realize I couldn't mention what I was thinking about doing or that mentioning an item being for sale was frowned upon.

Matius
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2006, 06:31 PM

Have owned a 12" PB for just over a year now. First one and I will not go back to Windows. Not sure what revision it is (or how to tell). It is a PPC 1.5Ghz/512mb.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Matius
Not sure what revision it is (or how to tell). It is a PPC 1.5Ghz/512mb.
No offense intended, but if you'd take time to read the entire thread, you'd see that I posted a little list that tells you how to check which rev it is. Yours is a rev D, the fastest 12" ever made.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 05:06 AM

The closer I come to selling/trading my 12" PB, the more I feel like I can't let it go, lol. I've had it for 4-5 months now, and it's just now really starting to grow on me. The idea of losing it is making me like it even more. Kinda weird, I know, lol. I am however going to HAVE to get an external LCD for web design/Photoshop work. I think I may just max out the RAM and be happy with my final rev. 12" PB, unless someone gives me an offer I just can't refuse.

Altair
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2006, 05:51 AM

I'm still using my rev A 12"er as my main computer at home. This computer was insanely useful for my last 2.5 years of college since I could carry it everywhere. Sadly it's starting to show it's age and many development ides run slow on it (dreamweaver, eclipse).

Despite this I do take it to work to get some relief from the horrendously pro-ms workplace I have.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2006, 01:54 PM

i totally know what your going through sdilley14 and altair. i still think the 12" powerbok is the best designed notebook apples ever made (present day notebook line included).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Yours is a rev D, the fastest 12" ever made.
Mine is a rev A the slowest 12 inch ever made

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2006, 02:56 PM

I have a Rev. C 12" PB, have had it for more than 2 years now (ordered the day it was released). It is my baby, and I have a very hard time giving it up. I was thinking about trading it for a larger Powerbook, but I really, and I mean REALLY, have a difficult time giving this baby up. I have been thinking about putting in a larger HDD (160GB) and getting a DL Superdrive for it, but then again, is there really any point in upgrading it anymore?

I tend to use a computer for 3 years, so I would get a new laptop by the beginning of next year. (Although this might be a bit earlier, as there are some courses in university that, unfortunately, oblige me to use Windows applications)

What do you guys think, pimp the 12" or use it till I get a new one, and speed up the new purchase?
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2006, 07:40 PM

Hi,

Not sure about how much a 160gb laptop hard drive would be, but I would say maybe go in the middle with a 80gb or 100gb hard drive which these days can be had for about $100. I would also say in going for an external dvd burner since it is cheaper, probably faster, and you'll be able to use it with any machine that you have in the future. I think spending too much for an older machine really will make you wonder why not just go towards a new machine.

And I am totally with you - I had a hard time giving up my 12". I'm definitely waiting to see what's in store for the future, but until then I really don't see anything that can compare with the 12" powerbook. The macbooks or just too plastic for me (although the black one is nice), and the pros are just too big. Plus, it will be a pretty costly upgrade for me from the $600 that I spent for my 12" powerbook.

Good Luck!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules