Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > single button mouse is simple minded?

single button mouse is simple minded? (Page 3)
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2002, 04:34 AM

I'd never go back to a one button mouse.

The nice thing about OSX is that you have the option of both kinds of mice. The ctrl-click simulates the same thing for those who prefer a one button mouse.

Compare this to Linux where you really need a three button mouse or XP where you absolutely need a 2 button mouse. (Many applications have functions <i>only</i> available in a context menu)

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2002, 11:02 AM

You don't NEED a two-button mouse in XP. You don't even need a mouse at all.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2002, 01:27 PM

I switched last year (before the campaign). Honestly, I prefer the one-button mouse. Between keyboard shortcuts, Launchbar, and KeyboardMaestro, I'm always using the modifier keys anyway, so I'll take Ctrl-clicking and a mouse that feels better and more ergonomical over a multibutton mouse any day. As always, YMMV, but in my case it's more efficient to avoid the mouse whenever possible.

If anything, I'd like to see Apple better emphasize the option of buying a multibutton mouse. Apparently, there are many "smart" "power" users who are unaware of that option.

kenm75232
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I switched last year (before the campaign). Honestly, I prefer the one-button mouse. Between keyboard shortcuts, Launchbar, and KeyboardMaestro, I'm always using the modifier keys anyway, so I'll take Ctrl-clicking and a mouse that feels better and more ergonomical over a multibutton mouse any day. As always, YMMV, but in my case it's more efficient to avoid the mouse whenever possible.

If anything, I'd like to see Apple better emphasize the option of buying a multibutton mouse. Apparently, there are many "smart" "power" users who are unaware of that option.
I like the 2 button mouse and the scroll wheel. It makes it much easier to go back and forth to work (silly pc people). There are however two really upsides to the whole situation 1) every app (at least that I use) supports right click so if you like the multibutton mouse you can get one, and then 2) even if you have a multi functional mouse I don't have to use that functionality.
To me, more options are always better!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2002, 12:22 AM

even if you have a multi functional mouse I don't have to use that functionality
True, but the ergonomics still suck. I have yet to find a mouse that's more comfortable than the Studio Pro Mouse.

sgrup
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2002, 11:46 AM

i've actually just realised that the way i grip the mouse (single button one) is a very open grip which means that my second and third fingers lie on the right hand edge of the mouse - this leads me to believe that i would have considerable adaptation problems if i had to use a 2 button mouse since my natural grip is such that i would be clicking on the right button - i guess single button mouse users evolve differently from 2-button users

s

Forum Links
Forum Rules