Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Beige G3 as EyeTV server?

Beige G3 as EyeTV server?
darkhawk64
May 14, 2003, 01:04 PM

Hey everyone-
I've got an old beige G3 running MacOS X Server (10.2.6). I want to know how well, if I add a USB card, EyeTV will run on that machine (it's a 266 Mhz G3). This would allow me to then copy my video files to my 12" PB for viewing, burning, etc. Has anyone tried EyeTV with a beige G3 before? How will it react to a USB card vs. built-in USB? Thanks a lot for the help!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 15, 2003, 02:28 AM

not exactly what you asked but I use eye-tv on my MDD g4 through a usb hub with no problems at all. Why don't you just plug the eye-tv into the powerbook?

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 10:33 AM

I would agree with Ssharon - why not just plug it into the PB?

EyeTV runs great on my 366mhz ibook btw
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

darkhawk64  (op)
May 15, 2003, 12:19 PM

The advantage to having a server run it was because it can record shows even when my PB is away. Then, I come home and transfer them to my PB for viewing. Sundays, for example, are really tough for me to watch my favorite shows (Simpsons, Alias, etc.) and my PB is always with me then (I run a Keynote presentation at our church service for the words). Are there any reports of how well an EyeTV works with a beige machine? Or a place that has reviews of the software on the kind of computer I want to use? Thanks again!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

Hellgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 02:07 PM

Hi,

I actually set this very same thing up for myself about a month ago. I purchased a cheap USB card for about $15, installed it and OS X recognized it without installing any drivers. It is the old beige G3 266 with AV card, so I hooked it up to my TV and stereo and it now acts as an itunes server and records shows through eyetv. I also installed VNC on it so I can control it through my 12" Powerbook. It works great!

The only downside is that the video card can't handle playing the recorded eyetv programs through my TV. I get a very low frame rate. It is great for showing iTunes visuals though! So right now I just copy over the recorded files onto my Powerbook. Not the ideal situation but it works. I might just have to suck it up and get TivoHope that helps.

grumpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 02:59 PM

Hellgo, which AV card are you using with your beige G3? Last time I checked, OSX did not support AV out from the original AV card that came with my beige G3.

Hellgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 07:52 PM

I am using the stock video card with 2mb of video ram. It works great, except for it not being able to produce full screen video. Any ideas of a CHEAP alternative to do full screen video on this machine? I only have 192MB of ram so maybe more would help....

grumpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 09:41 PM

Depending on which video card you have, you might be able to upgrade the video memory to 6 MB for a cheap improvement. I have the stock RagePro with 6MB. I do not know if that is enough for full screen though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules