Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > NeXTSTEP on Virtual PC... anyone?

NeXTSTEP on Virtual PC... anyone?
phillymjs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2000, 01:18 AM

I've searched high and low on the 'net for a how-to on installing NeXTSTEP for Intel within Virtual PC (I have version 3.x). My black hardware will be arriving soon, but I want to start tinkering with NS now!!

If anyone can post something here or at least point me to a web page somewhere, I'd be much appreciative.

TIA,

~Philly

pip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2000, 11:05 AM

http://emulation.net/windoze/vpc/index.html

has a short paragraph on a person's experiences with OpenSTEP on VPC 1.Hope it helps!

Harry D
Jun 19, 2000, 04:19 PM

If memory serves, NeXTStep/OpenStep will have issues with VPC 3.x

In 2.x, you need to use the "alternate" configuration, with the VPC CD-ROM attached to the Secondary IDE. I did at one point successfully run it under VPC 2.x. Haven't tried (or had the patience) to try again under VPC 3.x

Best bet is to check the Connectix website for details.

Willy
Jun 19, 2000, 04:49 PM

Either wait for MacOS X Beta or get an old 8x86. You can pick up an old P100 for next to nothing. (I'm currently selling a P200 for $150, complete. But don't get it from me, find a local one.)

If you had a 8x86 box you could run it as a server. I've got a FreeBSD server connected to my Mac and it's great!!!

Using a real 8x86 will perform better and probably cause you less stress once it's setup - just leave it running in the corner. Well worth the money.

OpenStepGuy
Jun 19, 2000, 05:07 PM

OpenStep worked fine under 2.x, but not under 3.x. The way to get it to work is to not install *any* extra drivers when you reach the "Configure.app" program for the first time. Just finish installing packages and let it reboot with no sound and a tiny grayscale screen.

What you need are the most recent drivers for video, sound, and ethernet from Apple's web site. Locate and download them, then create a disk image with the files on it, and make sure it's unlocked and not compressed. Then drag this to the "Insert Disk" button on VPC. OpenStep will now mount the disk and let you install the new drivers.

Good luck. It's a bit painful, but as a developer that's used every version of Rhapsody and MacOS X, OpenStep's interface is far superior to what is in DP3 and DP4 of OS X, but not that of OS X DP2.

Brian and the G4
Jun 19, 2000, 08:53 PM

I would have to agree with the poster that said to get a cheap intel box. I've got Linux and Windows 2000 running on VPC on my G4 with the Altivec optimizations, and they feel really sluggish, especially Linux. Your post made it sound like you had a NeXT system on the way, so I guess that you should probably just wait until you get it.
Since were on the topic, does anyone know where I can get a copy of NeXTSTEP that I can put on an Intel machine? Preferably for very little cash...

Forum Links
Forum Rules