Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > System changing language?

System changing language?
Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 08:55 AM

I'm on a swedish version of Mac OS X, but lately the system has changed a couple of folder-names to their english equivalents. I can't say when this happened or for what reason. It's only the system folders (System, Library, Applications etc.) that have been changed. Does anyone know how to change this back?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 09:18 AM

Finder->Preferences->Advanced->Always show filename extensions

Turn this off to get localized folder names.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 09:55 AM

Cool I was wondering the same thing. Thanks.

Jacke  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the help, Developer.

Is this a bug or a "feature" of Mac OS X? Seems a bit silly to me to have to have another language on some folders just to show file extensions.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Jacke:
Is this a bug or a "feature" of Mac OS X? Seems a bit silly to me to have to have another language on some folders just to show file extensions.
Mac OS X has "display names", that means that what the Finder or other applications show the user as file name might not be the name the file has on disk. The display file name can be a localized name or a name without suffix, but the real file name does never change. You can see the real file name if you Get Info on the file/folder, and you will see that the Applications folder is indeed always an Applications folder etc.

What this preferences switch does is toggles the display between display filename and real filename only. I would consider it a bug that that preference says one thing when it means another. I would consider it a lack of feature that the system can not return a localized display name with always extensions visible. It's both or nothing currently.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules