Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Where to learn??

Where to learn??
Hellgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 12:56 PM

Hi,

I have been a lurker on these boards for awhile. I work at a middle school as a technology coordinator, I do loads of different things, from teaching technology classes, database design with filemaker, upkeep of our citrix system, maintaining my school's website, and many other jobs.

The website is why I am posting this message. I have made an ok basic site for my school using Dreamweaver. I am using things like CSS and javascripts in the site, without really knowing the ins and outs of them. So I would like to learn more about those things as well as extend my knowledge into server side scripting, using things like PHP, Perl, MySQL, etc. I have hacked together several server side things on the site (an online application that writes to a file on the server, an alumni survey) but once again I would like to be able to do more than just hack together some code that I find on the internet.

My ultimate goal is to make some web apps. For example I designed a filemaker database that teachers use to make lesson plans, not only does it have text but teachers can attach files, photos, etc. Filemaker allows web publishing, but it is just not powerful enough. So I would like to learn how to re-create this database using MySQL, and PHP, perl, or whatever would be appropriate.

So basically I am looking for advice on where to start my learning. Are there any good classes to take, I am in the Boston area. I could try books, but a class would probably focus me better. I have basic experience in C, visual basic, filemaker scripting, and basic html.

Well thanks for reading this. Any suggestions on where to start would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jan 6, 2004, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Hellgo:
I would like to learn how to re-create this database using MySQL, and PHP, perl, or whatever would be appropriate.
read through these, they really help you get your head around things:

http://www.mysql.com/
http://www.php.net/

that's quite a lurking record you just broke, by the way
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 10:45 PM

There are some great online courses for free, but, like anything, you get what you pay for.

Here is the program several of my friends went through:

www.weavingtheweb.net

It is taught all online, virtual campus, and is offered at the most popular technical university in Vancouver (Canada). Apparently the profs reply quickly to any questions you have, and it would be cheaper for you due to the exchange rate.

I am sure there are many such programs in your area too.

Cheers!

Hellgo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
read through these, they really help you get your head around things:

http://www.mysql.com/
http://www.php.net/

that's quite a lurking record you just broke, by the way
Yeah I guess I registered ahwile ago. Usually if I need help I can just search and find it.

Any other ideas about online courses? I really need something that wil focus me. Also is PHP the way to go? I want to make basic web applications with a MySQL backend, what would be best for that?

Thanks!

redJag
Senior User
Jan 7, 2004, 11:55 PM

In my opinion, PHP is definitely the best way to go for the front end to a MySQL database. I didn't really do anything to learn PHP, I just looked up the functions I needed and applied my programming knowledge to cover the rest. By now, I have a really good understanding of it. I would definitely recommend a reference book for MySQL. No idea on the online courses, though, sorry.
Travis Sanderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules