Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.3 is out

10.3.3 is out (Page 4)
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
what rollover bug are you referring to?
There have been some excellent discoveries of some minor regressions from 1.1 to 1.2. For those who are curious, here are some of the highlights.

(1) A bug with display:block in generated content. Reported here. This particular bug was caused by a rearchitecture to unify anonymous blocks created by the render tree when wrapping normal inline flows and the anonymous blocks created for generated content. I forgot to patch the code that coalesced inlines within anonymous blocks to ignore pseudo-element anonymous blocks, and so all the inline children end up *inside* the anonymous :before block. I have a fix.

(2) A regression from incremental repainting. If you change the position of an object from absolute/fixed/relative to static, and if you have descendant positioned elements for whom the object is acting as a containing block, Safari will try to repaint those elements, but only after the containing block chain has been updated... meaning that repaints happen in the wrong place. I don't have a fix yet, but it should be pretty easy to patch. This is honestly kind of a weird thing to do in DHTML, so our odds of catching it were pretty slim. Typically position changes like this only happen on alternate stylesheet re-resolves, which change so much that the whole page would repaint anyway, masking the bug.

(3) Classic image rollovers (e.g., preloads using "new Image") are busted, resulting in a flash on initial rollover, even when the images should have been pre-loaded. This is the truly weird one. I looked at this for a couple of hours tonight, and the images do get pre-loaded into the WebCore cache, but then for some reason they get punted out at rollover time. Not sure why.

I feel bad for not catching this. The problem is that I patched CSS rollovers so that they would load lazily in order to avoid loading unused images, and so when I saw this image flashing, I just assumed I was seeing the results of my CSS change. In reality some other unrelated and as-yet-unknown change caused the regression.

Have any other regressions from 1.1 to report? If so, please post trackbacks in this entry with bug descriptions and (ideally) test pages.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 05:30 PM

Upon install, I had a problem where mounting a .dmg wouldn't show in the finder until I opened the /Volumes folder (via Find.) Rebooting seems to have fixed it though.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Not a problem here.

Dual 2.0 G5/20" Cinema
I bet you smile every time you say that.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I bet you smile every time you say that.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 06:46 PM

Why does everybody care about how fast the system will boot up?
Because if Apple can shave 5 seconds off of boot-up, it'll save 50 lives...

http://www.pbs.org/nerds/part3.html
Steve was upset that the Mac took too long to boot to boot up when you first turned it on so he tried motivating Larry Kenyon by telling him well you know how many millions of people are going to buy this machine - it's going to be millions of people and let's imagine that you can make it boot five seconds faster well that's five seconds times a million every day that's fifty lifetimes, if you can shave five seconds off that you're saving fifty lives. And so it was a nice way of thinking about it, and we did get it to go faster.
( Last edited by Bobby; Mar 16, 2004 at 06:53 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2004, 06:48 PM

Two things I'll never understand

1) Why people always ask about whether iTunes visualizations are faster (I mean, who CARES??)

2) Why people always ask about whether the system boots faster (again, who CARES??)

If those are your priorities, it doesn't take much to please you.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 07:10 PM

Well the update fixed my stuttering audio and crazy lag times with FireWire, but the mouse still jumps around. It's not very noticable unless you really look for it though.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

mishap
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
Two things I'll never understand

1) Why people always ask about whether iTunes visualizations are faster (I mean, who CARES??)

2) Why people always ask about whether the system boots faster (again, who CARES??)

If those are your priorities, it doesn't take much to please you.

loser mac geeks?

i agree. sounds like a waste of time to me.
( Last edited by mishap; Mar 16, 2004 at 07:21 PM. )

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 08:13 PM

That was sure fast.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 08:15 PM

So far so good.. Except my 1ghz 12" pb is running an easy 5c warmer after this update, and that means the fan is on pretty much 24/7

I saw a couple of people mention that the broken icon shadows bug was still there. Yet so far, it seems cured here.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2004, 08:20 PM

Nice update. I applied it to a 2.0 & 1.8 G5 (duals/2.5gbs ram) and a G4 400 w/1.12gbs ram.

The G5s are faster on restarting and running apps - MS Word launches faster than I could reach for the menu bar, <.75s .

The G4 feels a little faster, Quartz is improved, Finder feels good, though I now notice keyboard lag in forums/Java is slower.
The 2.0 still has a weird networking thing going on; servers appear, reappear then disappear when connecting. Appletalk is fine, but Samba o rama du jour.

Bugs aside, 10.3.3 is fantastic and a yet another improvement. Each X update brings speed optimizations somewhere in the system.

I like-ed that.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 08:39 PM

10.3.3 really fixed fans in my Dual 2 G5. With the iTunes visualizer the fans would go nuts before....no longer my friends. Still the same frame rates are before.

Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Theodour
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 09:42 PM

Something doesn't seem right after the update.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Theodour:
You goofy kids you... so creative these days. What will they come up with next?

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
10.3.3 really fixed fans in my Dual 2 G5. With the iTunes visualizer the fans would go nuts before....no longer my friends. Still the same frame rates are before.

I take this back... I just had my window open and it was cooling the G5 for it. Fans still really rev up

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 11:46 PM

10.3.3 hasn't fixed the Finder crash when dragging multiple .jpg files (three or more) on the desktop. This is a bummer, especially because this bug was (I believe) mentioned in the list of fixes

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 11:58 PM

The updated version of Mail.app still makes attachments "Read Only" when dragged to the Desktop...

york28
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Other Options
Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?
... disables animated gifs?
Not all of them, but it disables the ones on the new post page, which on my computer gets rid of the awful typing lag. Unfortunately, it also kills the button to auto-insert code, but I don't do that much, so it's not a big deal.

You stil see smileys and animated gifs otherwise tho.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 12:12 AM

I just had the first crash I've ever had since upgrading to Panther after installing 10.3.3. today. Everything was going smoothly and then suddenly my Dock quit working. Then the Finder crashed. Then my icons started acting all funky. I tried logging out but it wouldn't actually complete the logout routine. Tried restarting and shutting down, but it would never do it. Finally had to just hold down the power button and force it to restart.

Really sucks. Other than that its a nice upgrade.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

James Christ
Banned
Mar 17, 2004, 12:57 AM

I agree, man, and sympathize with you. Your Finder is taking up too much memory.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2004, 01:00 AM

iTMS Caps!

-Owl

zachs
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
iTMS Caps!

-Owl
They could be Coke.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 01:07 AM

Installed the 10.3.3 Update and all is well. Ran repair permissions (still a foreign practice to me) and only 2 files had their permissions repaired. The Finder "banana" selection bug is still there for me as well. No big deal, since I don't often run into that situation.

"Is it Snappy?" Honestly, I can't tell the difference. Don't mind boot duration, since I rarely reboot/shutdown my iBook.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by iPond317:
Well the update fixed my stuttering audio and crazy lag times with FireWire, but the mouse still jumps around. It's not very noticable unless you really look for it though.
I'm happy to say that I'm not seeing any mouse or audio stutter at all with this update when accessing my FW drives and it could get pretty bad for me before (as my boot drive is an external FW one! ). Overall, this has been the smoothest upgrade I've had yet for any version of OS X.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
I'm happy to say that I'm not seeing any mouse or audio stutter at all with this update when accessing my FW drives and it could get pretty bad for me before (as my boot drive is an external FW one! ). Overall, this has been the smoothest upgrade I've had yet for any version of OS X.
I still get stuttering audio in iTunes and the volume will go down and stay there until I reboot when I copy files to the ext. FW drive. They have to be large files ~20mb. This is only happening with my bus powered LaCie pocket drive. It doesn't happen on my iPod, or two other external LaCie hard drives. My boot is also an external FW, but I never had the problems with it. I don't have, nor have had any of the mouse problems.

James Christ
Banned
Mar 17, 2004, 11:57 AM

I got iTunes Movie Store in iTunes and my iPod now has a color widescreen and can play videos too after the 10.3.3 update.

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by James Christ:
I got iTunes Movie Store in iTunes and my iPod now has a color widescreen and can play videos too after the 10.3.3 update.
I believe it's spelt "coloUr."

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
I believe it's spelt "coloUr."
We spell it as colour here in the UK, but I believe the correct speling in the USA is color. Isn't pointing out typos fun? ... so pointless...

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 04:55 PM

anyone running into trouble with their spam filter??? my junkmail filter seems to have spontaneously stopped functioning in mail. It's not spotting things it did before the update, and I get enough spam that this is getting SERIOUSLY bothersome.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 05:38 PM

In 10.3.3:

* itunes visualizer still runs at 30fps in fullscreen compared to 54 as it used to before 10.3 (fullscreen, gl enabled, the rate capping off)
* the keyboard drivers are still screwy and using shift + up + backspace can give odd results in the end
* pro speaker support is still funky
* itunes still skips/studders (yet another thing since 10.3)
* downloading things to the desktop still results in WEIRD icon placement sometimes
* Mounting drives while itunes is running can still cause a lookupd sort of freeze/crash
* sometimes networking still acts funky where the network sidebar item will have an eject button and then there won't be any network icon (but icon text still visible), in the computer 'folder'
Aloha

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 06:04 PM

Not here, and others report that hasn't been fixed either...are you sure about that?!?
damn, you�re right. yesterday i have tried over and over to reproduce it, but it didn�t show up ... yet when i glanced onto my desktop right after reading your post it was there again, in its full glory ... sheesh.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
damn, you�re right. yesterday i have tried over and over to reproduce it, but it didn�t show up ... yet when i glanced onto my desktop right after reading your post it was there again, in its full glory ... sheesh.
Phew, I was going to go nuts if it was working for you....I always test it by mounting my iDisk on the Desktop and then ejecting it...that always produces the desktop icon shadow...

madripper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2004, 06:55 PM

Installed 10.3.3 combo and now my dvd player doesn't work. I get the video compressed into a 2 inch stripe across the top and the controller is broken into big chunky pieces across the screen. I am resinstalling back to 10.3.2 much better

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by madripper:
Installed 10.3.3 combo and now my dvd player doesn't work.
Welcome to the MacNN Forums!

Sorry, no problems here after the update with DVD Player...

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
anyone running into trouble with their spam filter??? my junkmail filter seems to have spontaneously stopped functioning in mail. It's not spotting things it did before the update, and I get enough spam that this is getting SERIOUSLY bothersome.
I have heard of others having this problem. The fix seems to be to reset the Junk Mail filer (from within the preferences) and retrain it.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 08:27 PM

DVD Player keeps crashing while watching Gladiator...at random times, too. Never did before the update. It's not the disc; it's in "pristine" (as Jobs says) condition.

I am not entertained!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2004, 08:56 PM

First time I've ever had a problem with an update. One of my external FireWire hard drives isn't recognized anymore!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

James Christ
Banned
Mar 17, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
DVD Player keeps crashing while watching Gladiator.
A crash of Roman epic proportions.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by James Christ:
A crash of Roman epic proportions.
Kernel panics smile at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

(Yeah, yeah, that's enough)

soul searching
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Mr Scruff:
I wonder what that means? I mean proper updating of the finder view (as in one that responds to terminal actions) doesn't even work for local disks. What could they have done that would improve this on remote volumes?
Yeah, the whole "network volumes' contents refresh automatically when changed" thing is not working well for me. Is it working for anyone?

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Mar 18, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
DVD Player keeps crashing while watching Gladiator...at random times, too. Never did before the update. It's not the disc; it's in "pristine" (as Jobs says) condition.

I am not entertained!
DVD Player just plain sucks. I can't get any DVD to play without a crash or a DVD Player lock-up. My DVDs are in "pristine" condition also. It *could* be my combo drive...but VLC handles all the DVDs perfectly. DVD Player, OTOH, chokes, stutters, locks up or crashes.

I got all excited when I heard DVD Player was being improved when 10.3.3 builds were floating around. And I waited patiently for 10.3.3's release so that maybe, just maybe, my DVDs would play all the way through...for nothing.

For shits and giggles, could anyone with the extended versions of Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers play them in DVD Player all the way through without any problems? If so, then my combo drive sucks but so does DVD Player...if not, then DVD Player is the only culprit.

If it's the combo drive, I'm gonna just buy a 2nd gen G5 because this Dual 800 is getting long in the tooth...loud, incapable of playing DVD movies, a bottleneck in recent games, no bluetooth, no USB 2.0, no Firewire 800. I used to love this machine but now I just think it stinks. ...no you can't have it.

tt030
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Finder goes bananas. Never noticed this before. Did you report it?
No...here is all OK.

---
PbG4/1Ghz Al
PbG4/1GHz Al, G5dual/2GHz

tt030
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Same here. Single icons select fine. Drag-selecting multiple icons=bananas.

Here goes 21 days uptime...

CV
Oh...that�s right. THIS **** happens...
PbG4/1GHz Al, G5dual/2GHz

masterx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 05:09 AM

I found another bug in 10.3.2 that is along the lines of the one everybody is talking about, except is much more exoteric, and potentially damaging to hardware. Replicating the bug is rather complicated so I will itemize:
1. a get info window of a movie or mp3 with the quicktime preview playing.
2. a finder window in column view with a a quicktime preview playing.
3. the file in the column view must be in a folder who's parent folder has other contents.
4. try to select these contents (the files and folders in the column to the left of the file being previewed) by dragging while both previews are playing.

what should happen is the volume of the quicktime previews gets set to some value out of normal range. the audio is distorted and louder than normally possible, indicating a higher than acceptable output voltage coming from the line out jack.
This was all done on a G4 digital audio running os 10.3.2. so it may only be on this particular macintosh. While rather unlikely to encounter in normal use, this bug is pretty dangerous if you have your macintosh connected to some stereo equipment that is turned up loud.

I will update to 10.3.3 and try to recreate.

_______
Master X

Edit:
I have installed 10.3.3 and the bug is still there. In fact when I went to check for the bug column previews wouldn't function at all resulting in finder restart. I rebooted and got previews back, but found the bug is still alive and well.
( Last edited by masterx; Mar 18, 2004 at 06:48 AM. )

masterx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 05:15 AM

why can't I delete this post
( Last edited by masterx; Mar 18, 2004 at 06:51 AM. )

asidrane
Mar 18, 2004, 07:13 AM

The ability to play dvd+r video is nice

loco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by soul searching:
Can those of you who installed the update try something? 1) Open a Finder window in column view, 2)preview a Quicktime movie, 2) try to select something on the desktop. Does selecting items work properly? Or does the Finder go bananas? Thanks!
Yup. Happened to me before the update, still happens after. I noticed this with MP3s though. Looks like @ss.

-d

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by masterx:
why can't I delete this post
su root

tomp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 10:47 AM

...works fine for me too. (12" 867Mhz G4 PB, 640Mb, OSX 10.3.3)

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2004, 11:09 AM

Still there for me in 10.3.3 on my PB G4 12" 867, 640 mb. Did a Disk Utility repair permissions after the update (as always).

Otherwise seems like a nice update, the improved networking is LONG overdue.

-p

Forum Links
Forum Rules