Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ffmpeg & MP3 audio: anyone else having problems?

ffmpeg & MP3 audio: anyone else having problems?
Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2004, 07:16 AM

I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems using the audio pass-through for MP3 audio in ffmpeg (or ffmpegx)? I've never been able to get ot to work properly, as ffmpeg always identifies the audio as MP2 audio instead of MP3, making the audio unplayable in both QT and VLC. If I use the force format switch it just re-encodes it to MP3.

My current way of making DivX avi files is to first use ogmtools to make an ogm file including video and audio and then piping it through mencoder (since I don't know how to get mencoder to accept different source files for audio and video) using pass-through.

DAlex
Apr 4, 2004, 06:43 AM

Can't say why you are getting that problem as I've only used ffmpegx to convert audio when I ripped using ac3 instead of mp3 by mistake.

You may find it easier to do you divx .avi files using handbrake as you can specify .mp3 audio http://handbrake.m0k.org/

I use it a lot and so far have been very pleased with it. It screams on a G5 (which I don't have!), have a look at their forums for some speed info too.

DAlex

Forum Links
Forum Rules