Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Doom 3 Gone Gold!

Doom 3 Gone Gold!
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 14, 2004, 02:41 PM

a2daj, work your "not look like an ass"-magic and e-mail Carmack or Devine to get some answers about the Mac version.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 02:46 PM

Considering the fact that Graeme Devine no longer works at id, any email directed to him regarding Doom 3 will probably go unanswered by anyone.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Jul 14, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Considering the fact that Graeme Devine no longer works at id, any email directed to him regarding Doom 3 will probably go unanswered by anyone.
Where does he work now? Who's working on the Mac port of Doom 3?

edit: Ok, so he now works at Ensemble, which might explain why he's dropped the OS X port of 7th Guest.

But I ask again...is there someone with Mac knowledge at iD that is working on a Mac port?
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Jul 14, 2004 at 03:07 PM. )

Arolte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 03:21 PM

Sorry, semi-off topic post ahead...

*sigh*

Yes, it's a shame Mr. Devine left id Software. I was looking forward to seeing the OS X version of Q3A be fixed. Alas, the crash-to-desktop-while-getting-hit-by-bot bug remains. Ahh well.

PS: Does anyone have any estimates on the system requirements of Doom III for Mac?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 03:21 PM

My sources say news is "coming soon" :/

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Jul 14, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
My sources say news is "coming soon" :/
Ahh...those dreaded words. That's good enough for now I suppose. Thanks a2daj.

entrox
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Arolte:
PS: Does anyone have any estimates on the system requirements of Doom III for Mac?
"The faster, the better". But seriously, you'll be able to play with a GF4MX in low-end mode, so I wouldn't fret. It's just a shame that there are no cheap graphics cards for Macs. Plunking down 500� for a last-generation Radeon 9800 XT + ADC adapter is ... unacceptable.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 04:05 PM

Wha?! Doom 3 and cheap graphics cards mentioned in the same thread? That's preposterous!

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 04:07 PM

Wha?! Games running fast and Mac mentioned in the same thread!? Preposterous!
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
Wha?! Games running fast and Mac mentioned in the same thread!? Preposterous!
Wha?! "I Am Yujin" posting more complete nonsense that helps no one!? Of course!

w3rd 1d107.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 05:14 PM

A well-done retort, Ryan Becker. I too don't understand the purpose of "I am yujin."
Be happy.

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
A well-done retort, Ryan Becker. I too don't understand the purpose of "I am yujin."
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
"The faster, the better". But seriously, you'll be able to play with a GF4MX in low-end mode, so I wouldn't fret. It's just a shame that there are no cheap graphics cards for Macs. Plunking down 500� for a last-generation Radeon 9800 XT + ADC adapter is ... unacceptable.
That's a pretty generous estimate. The most recent leak ran on a buddies GF4mx between 5-25 FPS when everything except the fancy lighting was set to the lowest & 640x480 res. Seeing as how this game is largely a graphics demonstration, I'm going to upgrade.

protomech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by istallion:
That's a pretty generous estimate. The most recent leak ran on a buddies GF4mx between 5-25 FPS when everything except the fancy lighting was set to the lowest & 640x480 res. Seeing as how this game is largely a graphics demonstration, I'm going to upgrade.
The final version will probably run quite a bit faster than the leak. The main thing will be that the settings you have to use with the GF4mx to run at a reasonable speed will look nothing like the settings you can run at with a 9800 pro or so (think Halo).

Yeah, so I want confirmation this is coming out simultaneously for the mac as well..

protomech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by protomech:
The final version will probably run quite a bit faster than the leak. The main thing will be that the settings you have to use with the GF4mx to run at a reasonable speed will look nothing like the settings you can run at with a 9800 pro or so (think Halo).

Yeah, so I want confirmation this is coming out simultaneously for the mac as well..
http://www.gamefinger.com/plan.asp?u...toddh&id=16245

"The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains 'when it's done', but I can confirm that it's definitely coming."

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 06:08 PM

Thats exciting. Hopefully I can play it at beyond 640 on my dual 2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules