Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AOL Instant Messenger

AOL Instant Messenger
i am yujin
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 09:33 PM

What ever happened to it?

Is it ever going to be updated? The Mac version is far inferior to the PC one..which is on like 5.x while we are still on 4.x or whatever.

And no...I don't want to any clones like Proteus..
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 11:37 PM

I used to be like you and just use the official aim client because it didnt really bother me. However, I just switched to adium (adiumx.com) and it really is very nice.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 12:53 AM

Well, first of all, version numbers mean nothing. But, yeah - comparatively, the official AIM client has fewer features than the windows version.

Given that iChat is officially licensed by AOL, I doubt AOL has much interest in continued maintenance of it's now redundant client.

I have done development work for Adium, so I'm not without bias in this issue. But if I may ask: what, in particular, is attracting you to only consider an official client?
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

i am yujin  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:

I have done development work for Adium, so I'm not without bias in this issue. But if I may ask: what, in particular, is attracting you to only consider an official client?
I'm just really used to it, I guess. My (PC) friends use my computer a lot too and AIM is close to the PC counterpart so it is just easier.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 03:59 AM

Fair enough. There's a lot of merit to familiarity when it comes to deciding what software to use.

Given the stagnant state of AOL's own AIM client however, it might be worthwhile to try one of the alternatives. When it comes down to the basics, most clients are functionally similar. They have a list view where your known contacts are, conversations are carried out in their own window, double clicking on the list view begins a new conversation, etc.

You may just want to stick with AOL's client if familiarity is your main consideration. It's not as feature rich as its Windows counterpart or its 3rd party competitors, but most of those features are not directly related to the core function of instant messaging (visual notifications, invisibility mode, active status messages, etc.). The software may not be as nice - but it's not in any way crippled.

I would suggest giving iChat and the 3rd party clients (Adium, Fire, and Proteus are the 3 main ones) an honest try. Use each for at least a whole day. Explore their prefs, and check their contextual menus. Go to their support forums if you have questions. If none of them satisfy you more than AOL's client does, then go back to it - no harm done.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 12:09 PM

I used to be like you. And then I started using iChat and saw how much better it was. Then I started using Adium and WOW! Adium is so customizable. It blends right in with OS X.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2004, 12:54 PM

If you get AOL Communicator for the Mac, its IM client (which is made by AOL, so it's not third-party) is pretty good. It's not up to date with the PC version either, but it's better than the official client.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 01:57 PM

Does iChat allow Direct Connects? That's the only extra feature that I use on my PC AIM.

(asking in advance...ibook is still being shipped to me)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by jaimzedup:
Does iChat allow Direct Connects?
Yes.

badtz
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 07:35 PM

.... the only feature i miss on 3rd party clients is video/audio chatting.

otherwise, adium/proteus/etc. ARE nice apps!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by badtz:
.... the only feature i miss on 3rd party clients is video/audio chatting.

otherwise, adium/proteus/etc. ARE nice apps!
Yep, that and for the life of me I can't get any of the file transferring to work on any of them except the official application.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2004, 08:42 PM

I'm a new Adium user. Is it possible for AIM Direct Connects through Adium? Several people tried connecting with me and it simply wouldn't connect. What is going on?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by jaimzedup:
I'm a new Adium user. Is it possible for AIM Direct Connects through Adium? Several people tried connecting with me and it simply wouldn't connect. What is going on?
DirectConnect and file transfers have pretty serious issues with proxies, firewalls, routers, etc... it's a known issue, but so far no one has volunteered to fix it. If anyone would like to (hint, hint ) I've been told the offending code is in proxy.c of libgaim. Not 100% sure on that though.

Brownjer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 04:46 PM

I'm one of those who creates and collects away messages. I recently switched machines, and can't for the life of me find where AIM 4.7x stores the saved away messages to transfer over to my new client. Anyone know the answer? Thanks.
"In reality, it's an atom disguising itself as a warthog."

Rychiar
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 08:38 AM

people who use aim heavily won't switch to iChat cus the format sux and is too disimilar. No one has head shots of themselves as icons so their animated buddy icons show up in that tiny space on ichat except their too small and don't animate. If apple would redeisgn iChat to be better or AOL would release an updated more optimized AIM life would be great. I always here what a processor hog regular aim is right now
iMac G5 1.8 ghz 20in. 1.5 gigs RAM, 250 gig Harddrive, Fully Wireless
60 Gig Original Overpriced iPod photo
Power Mac G4 450 768 Megs RAM
5 Gig Original iPod (RIP 12-20-04) :(

Forum Links
Forum Rules