Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming with the ATI X800XT Graphic Card ?

Gaming with the ATI X800XT Graphic Card ?
Frank Hansen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 09:28 PM

I just got a new Power mac G5 and a friend of mine won a ATI radeon X800XT graphics card at mac world this last week the box that it came in says that it will work with the G5 and handle the 30" display is there anything els I should know, I skipped getting the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card because I got such a good deal on the ATI card I just could not pass it up, my friend could not use it he runs a power book.

Also I have been looking at joy sticks and gaming pads, I am new to this and would like to get something that is versatile for gaming any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to what I should look at.
MacManiac4ever
MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB Memory

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 10:22 PM

Holy crap you're lucky.

But what are you asking? The X800 is an awesome card and should run any modern Mac game very well.

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Holy crap you're lucky.

But what are you asking? The X800 is an awesome card and should run any modern Mac game very well.
Thanks for the info I kind of thought so I was just checking, better safe then sorry.

Now for the big question do you know of a really good joy stick/control pad for gaming, something multi functional like for first person shooter games that will also work with strategy games like home-world II. something that has the best of both worlds for gaming.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Jan 23, 2005 at 10:56 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 10:59 PM

For any shooter or strategy game, a mouse and keyboard setup will be much better than any joystick or game pad. Aside, from that, I don't follow the joystick or game pad industry, so I can't recommend any. All I can say is that they are largely unsuited for computer games, aside from flight simulators and the like of course.

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 11:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thinine:
For any shooter or strategy game, a mouse and keyboard setup will be much better than any joystick or game pad. Aside, from that, I don't follow the joystick or game pad industry, so I can't recommend any. All I can say is that they are largely unsuited for computer games, aside from flight simulators and the like of course.

Thanks very much for the info as U can tell I am new to all this gaming stuff and kind of slow on a key board, thats why I was asking about something that would work faster like a joy stick/pad type controller, I guess I'll just have to practices more on my key-board action.
Thanks again and yes I know I'm a lucky SOB, even luckier to have a friend that would do what mine did with that X800 card, I only had to pay 250 rather then the cost it normally go's for and I'm sure you already know that.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:14 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 02:28 AM

I always kinda liked the look of the Nostromo pad from Belkin... never used it though. Belkin provides Mac drivers, though I'm not sure who good they are.

If you want to emulate old console games (SNES, NES, Sega, et cetera... there is even a thread that's hot right now in this forum about a PS1 emulator that's being moved over to Mac) then I'd suggest getting a game pad. Although you do get used to using the keyboard eventually, these games were designed for game pads.

If you want to do flying sims, get a joystick. If you want to play battlefield 1942 and pilot the aircraft, joystick is good for that, too... but try the game first, see if it's worth the additional hardware purchase.

if you don't play anything that would fall into either of those categories (games designed for pads or games with lots of simulated flight) then a keyboard/mouse combo is the best choice... most games were designed for it. If something like the Nostromo is for you, then you should look into it.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 03:33 AM

I have an ATI X800 Pro card that's really nice, but through a screw-up with my PC, currently it's just rusting away in its box. I was keeping it in the hope that one day I could potentially flash it over to my Mac and get it to work. My current 3D card is barely working now and was hoping that it could be replaced.

World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
I have an ATI X800 Pro card that's really nice, but through a screw-up with my PC, currently it's just rusting away in its box. I was keeping it in the hope that one day I could potentially flash it over to my Mac and get it to work. My current 3D card is barely working now and was hoping that it could be replaced.

So what is it U R trying to find out, is it that U want to know weather your card that it primarily for a P.C. will work on the mac platform, I am not sure but you could check out versiontracker at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

They might be able to help.

( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:15 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 11:42 AM

No, it won't help. I think Jansar understands what's going on much better than you do, if you think something from VersionTracker is going to fix his graphics card.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
I always kinda liked the look of the Nostromo pad from Belkin... never used it though. Belkin provides Mac drivers, though I'm not sure who good they are.

If you want to emulate old console games (SNES, NES, Sega, et cetera... there is even a thread that's hot right now in this forum about a PS1 emulator that's being moved over to Mac) then I'd suggest getting a game pad. Although you do get used to using the keyboard eventually, these games were designed for game pads.

If you want to do flying sims, get a joystick. If you want to play battlefield 1942 and pilot the aircraft, joystick is good for that, too... but try the game first, see if it's worth the additional hardware purchase.

if you don't play anything that would fall into either of those categories (games designed for pads or games with lots of simulated flight) then a keyboard/mouse combo is the best choice... most games were designed for it. If something like the Nostromo is for you, then you should look into it.
This whole gaming thing is new to me so I have a long way to go altho I find it very intriguing, so far all I have is Command & conquer Generals, Unreal tournament U 2004, and Homeworld2 are their any other games that U can recommend, I have been looking for the matrix game for macs but have had no luck are there any better sites besides the apple store that I can check out that have a bigger variety of games.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:19 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 02:03 PM

I strongly suggest any game by Blizzard. Although I'd like to say it was simply because the company has been great to Mac users, I can't... because honestly, every game they have put out for PC/Mac has been amazing (for it's time, at least). WoW, WarCraft III, StarCraft, and Diablo II are all great games, despite some of their ages (StarCraft and D2 are ancient by computer game standards... several years. They both have Mac OS X installers available.)

Unreal 2004 is great. If you like first person shooters, I'd recommend Call of Duty. Check out www.macgamefiles.com. Look for demos. I like to look at demos and sort by file size, so I can see which are most likely demos of full commercial games by larger companies.

If you want something a little slower, you can play the Sims and all its various expansions. I've heard good things about the Railroad Tycoon series, but I've never played.

Ambrosia is another great company... particulary EV: Nova. Great game. Also check out games like Uplink. Both of those games have demo mode type downloads.

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
No, it won't help. I think Jansar understands what's going on much better than you do, if you think something from VersionTracker is going to fix his graphics card.
Owe Well Just trying to help I know I'm just a newbe, I thought maybe it was a driver problem.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:19 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 03:55 PM

Unfortunately, I don;t think the X800/mac has been out long enough for someone to get a good look at the ROM... so for now, you're out of luck.

Hansen- there are NO matrix games for the mac as far as I know. I'd suggest trying out BattleField 1942 (infinite replayability) any of the Unreal Tournament games (03 & 04)

You do win the n00b award for today... spend some time looking on insidemacgames.com nd on xlr8yourmac.com for information to make yourself less of an utter n00b...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 03:55 PM

I strongly suggest any game by Blizzard. Although I'd like to say it was simply because the company has been great to Mac users, I can't... because honestly, every game they have put out for PC/Mac has been amazing (for it's time, at least). WoW, WarCraft III, StarCraft, and Diablo II are all great games, despite some of their ages (StarCraft and D2 are ancient by computer game standards... several years. They both have Mac OS X installers available.)

Unreal 2004 is great. If you like first person shooters, I'd recommend Call of Duty. Check out www.macgamefiles.com. Look for demos. I like to look at demos and sort by file size, so I can see which are most likely demos of full commercial games by larger companies.

If you want something a little slower, you can play the Sims and all its various expansions. I've heard good things about the Railroad Tycoon series, but I've never played.

Ambrosia is another great company... particulary EV: Nova. Great game. Also check out games like Uplink. Both of those games have demo mode type downloads.
Thanks for the info I'l check that out, it's funny that U mentioned
WoW & WarCraft III I just bought them on line should have them in a few days.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:20 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2005, 06:30 PM

I suggest playing through WC3 before starting WoW. WoW is very addicting, and it might be trouble to try and stop and play something else... at least for me, any time I have that could be spent playing games is used for WoW. Play through WC3 (and, if you have it, the expansion) so you'll be up on the story. Makes WoW even more enjoyable

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 09:33 PM

I suggest playing through WC3 before starting WoW. WoW is very addicting, and it might be trouble to try and stop and play something else... at least for me, any time I have that could be spent playing games is used for WoW. Play through WC3 (and, if you have it, the expansion) so you'll be up on the story. Makes WoW even more enjoyable
Thanks I'l do that seeing that I bought both games.
While I have your attention what do you think of the longitech MX 1000 Laser mouse for gaming, thinking of getting it, seeing that I have been recommended not to bother with joy sticks or pads, it looks pretty good, I may be a noobe at gaming but I know my way fairly well around computers and peripherals.
Any input would be appreciated.
MacManiac4ever

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 05:48 PM

The Logitech Mx1000 is a great mouse once you get use to it. It's a bit big and heavier than other mice but I like mine a lot.

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
The Logitech Mx1000 is a great mouse once you get use to it. It's a bit big and heavier than other mice but I like mine a lot.
Thanks I already did a little research on the MX1000 I do like I always do when I want to get a good idea of what something is like, I go to a store that has what I'm interested in and get a good look at it, when I saw it on the web it looked kind of big but it also has a lot of features to it, anyhow Thanks very much for the info I think I will get it, it seems to fill the bill for what I want to do, it's just too bad the store didn't have one hooked up so I could get a demo, that would have been nice.

( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:10 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Frank Hansen:
Owe Well Just trying to help I know I'm just a newbe, I thought maybe it was a driver problem
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, I think I was in kind of a hurry when I wrote the post and didn't have time to elaborate more.

Anyway, the deal is if you have a graphics card made for a PC, the only way to get it working in a Mac is to flash the firmware. This can be difficult and generally requires more than just a simple search of VersionTracker to work. Even the easiest flashing job requires a Mac capable of booting into OS 9, and it helps to have a PCI graphics card as well. Most flashing jobs also require the use of a PC.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, I think I was in kind of a hurry when I wrote the post and didn't have time to elaborate more.

Anyway, the deal is if you have a graphics card made for a PC, the only way to get it working in a Mac is to flash the firmware. This can be difficult and generally requires more than just a simple search of VersionTracker to work. Even the easiest flashing job requires a Mac capable of booting into OS 9, and it helps to have a PCI graphics card as well. Most flashing jobs also require the use of a PC.
No need to apologize, I think I just missed the fact that the graphic card in question was made for a P.C. I was under the wrong impression, just missed something in the translation, I,m fully aware of how hard it can be to get anything as far as inner components that are made for P.Cs to work in a mac, your working in a whole different architecture. My teacher always told me to read things carefully, and now I'm 48 years old and still doing the same thing.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:11 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 02:09 AM

No need to apologize, I think I just missed the fact that the graphic card in question was made for a P.C. I was under the wrong impression, just missed something in the translation, I,m fully aware of how hard it can be to get anything as far as inner components that are made for P.Cs to work in a mac, your working in a whole different architecture. My teacher always told me to read things carefully, and now I'm 48 years old and still doing the same thing.
You are 48 years old?

I would think one who is 31 more years older than I would use much better grammar in his or her posts.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Frank Hansen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
You are 48 years old?

I would think one who is 31 more years older than I would use much better grammar in his or her posts.
O/K teach what's this a new game ? maybe we can call it bash the old fart.
( Last edited by Frank Hansen; Apr 23, 2005 at 09:12 PM. )
MacManiac4ever

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 12:36 PM

O/K teach what's this a new game ? maybe we can call it bash the old fart
I stand proven.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
I stand proven.
Harping on one's grammar/spelling with just about anything Net related is typically bad netiquette unless it's extremely bad. This has not been the case in this thread.
( Last edited by a2daj; Jan 26, 2005 at 02:03 PM. )

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Harping on one's grammar/spelling with just about anything Net related is typically bad netiquette unless it's extremely bad. This has not been the case in this thread.
Normally, I wouldn't dog on someone's grammar on the internet if they replace you for "u" or are for "r," but sometimes his posts are just hard to understand when he claims to be 48 years old.
yo w3rd.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 08:34 PM

Age doesn't matter. My parents only type in lower case when they email me. I find the 'r' and 'u' replacements significantly more annoying than grammatical errors or typos. This is just a forum. You're going to get all kinds of people posting. Again, it's typically bad netiquitte to harp on someones grammatical errors or typos except in extreme cases. A friendly reminder isn't too bad but what you appear to be harrassing because of his age. That's not cool.
( Last edited by a2daj; Jan 26, 2005 at 08:41 PM. )

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2005, 01:39 AM

don't feed the troll.

Yeah, the MX1000 looks nice. I have the 700, which, as far as I can see, is inferior in every way, and it's great for gaming. I've tried the 1000 in stores and it fits my hand really well. If you want it, get it, I don't think you'll regret it. However, you don't really need a fancy mouse for most games. Anything with 2+ buttons will be fine, and a scroll wheel can be helpful (and it's nice out of games). I'd say 2 + clickable scroll wheel would be good if you're going the budget route... you can get a nice logitech for 15-20 bucks... at least you could a year or two ago, last time I bought one for a family member stuck with an Apple mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules