Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > mac & pc games... and ps2 hehe

mac & pc games... and ps2 hehe
Homer S.
Jan 30, 2005, 02:49 PM

hi, can someone tell me wich games can be playable between macs and pcs?

oh, something else.. this doesnt have anything to do with macs.. but.. does someone knows wich ps2 game is a great hit like halo series for xbox? (if this post belongs to another forum can a moderator change it pls?)

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 05:01 PM

most or all blizzard games can be played on both pc's and mac. call of duty, battlefield, medal of honor, unreal tournaments, neverwinter nights, soon to be doom 3 and others. check out inside mac games (google it) for more game info.

there really isn't a ps2 hit that defines the console like halo did for xbox but maybe final fantasy series(which is on the cube now), grand theft auto (bah which is on xboxnow) mgs (lol which has been switched to all 3 systems) and gran turismo which has stayed true to sony. so you can see there really isn't one game that has defined the playstation 2.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Homer S.  (op)
Jan 30, 2005, 06:00 PM

oh ok.. tnxs for the info

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 06:05 PM

There will never be a game that made such an impact on a console like Halo did.

Many people believe X-Box would have failed had it not been for Halo alone.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

P
Jan 30, 2005, 06:46 PM

Many people believe the Xbox failed despite Halo. The Xbox will not a be a profitable macine for Microsoft. The Home Entertainment division, where Xbox and all the games are, scored its first and probably only profitable quarter since the Xbox was launched last quarter - and that was because of Halo 2.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 06:56 PM

GTA: SA is an icon for the PS2. Set a lot of records for the PS2 in Europe and did well here in the US. Gran Turismo 4 might do as well, whenever the darn thing comes out. MSG:3 is for sure a good one. Highly recommended as well and is currently for PS2 only, at this time. So its a matter if you want now or later. The big bonus with the PS2 is the library. You got a lot of options there. X-Box is growing too so not a bad choice either way. I'm personally content with my PS2, but cant go wrong either way. Both are solid systems and will be a lot of fun whichever way you go.

However, as some like to point out, GTA:SA will be coming to the X-Box in March I think it was. Keep in mind since Halo is made in house by Microsoft/Bungie, they have an advantage there.

P, You are right. They are seeing the first profit since its intro to the market, I'm sure Halo 2 turned that around. However when you have more money than God you can afford to hang around till the tide turns in your favor. LOL The next round I think will be a telling tail as they now have some credibilty to go head to head with Sony on how well the X-Box 2 does vs. the PS3. All gonna come down to the games, finally. Not so much the hardware.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 01:25 AM

hmmm, stick around till the tide turns eh? last i heard microsoft was going to stop pouring money into the xbox.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 06:08 AM

Since they are planning the X-Box 2 by the end of 2005, then I'd guess that was at least another 3-4 year commitment.

P
Jan 31, 2005, 06:36 PM

MS usually sticks to its guns, you have to give them that. Well, they're in for another few years with Xbox2, but with that one they have to at least closed to winning (Xbox is usually 3rd in console marketshare, slightly behind Gamecube and way behind the PS2). If they'll manage to do that is much too early to say. I agree its about the games rather than the hardware though.

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by P:
MS usually sticks to its guns, you have to give them that. Well, they're in for another few years with Xbox2, but with that one they have to at least closed to winning (Xbox is usually 3rd in console marketshare, slightly behind Gamecube and way behind the PS2). If they'll manage to do that is much too early to say. I agree its about the games rather than the hardware though.
I'm pretty sure XBox is second and Gamecube is 3rd.

Gamecube could have done so much better had Nintendo ventured into online gaming. Xbox live and PS2 online has been so successful.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
I'm pretty sure XBox is second and Gamecube is 3rd.

Gamecube could have done so much better had Nintendo ventured into online gaming. Xbox live and PS2 online has been so successful.
actually the game cube has sold about 10 million more than the xbox.

Homer S.  (op)
Feb 6, 2005, 01:41 AM

hey fellas... wich game in the ps2 is more likely to zelda.. cause i love zelda (have both n64 games) best game evER!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
There will never be a game that made such an impact on a console like Halo did.

Many people believe X-Box would have failed had it not been for Halo alone.
Excuse me friend, but the first statement is kinda "hypocrite", looks like I am reading a M$ memo Halo is JAFPS just another first person shotter, like there are lot of them on the pc arena and another game consoles, I am not going to get a xbox just because halo, maybe the issue, the real issue is that microsoft device is just a halo-box nothing great to a product, it reminds me those old school game devices with just a built-in game inside theirs circuits

Just my opinion

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2005, 06:04 PM

I'd have to say that he's right. Even though you won't buy an Xbox for halo there were tons of people that did... The game is worth buying an xbox for... pc/mac doesn't even come close to playing it on the xbox.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 11:12 PM

I prefer a mouse, keyboard and no pay to play networking. So for my I prefer the Mac version. Single player is too repetitive. If they loose the flood and not gotten cheap on the level designers budget, would have been a better single player game, in my opinion. That said the multiplayer is the only reason I bought it for the Mac. Was great to try it out at Macworld 2004 on a 23", G5 with 16 other people.

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Excuse me friend, but the first statement is kinda "hypocrite", looks like I am reading a M$ memo Halo is JAFPS just another first person shotter, like there are lot of them on the pc arena and another game consoles, I am not going to get a xbox just because halo, maybe the issue, the real issue is that microsoft device is just a halo-box nothing great to a product, it reminds me those old school game devices with just a built-in game inside theirs circuits

Just my opinion
An M$ memo? Any X-box fanboy would easily disagree with me saying how there are other good Xbox game like KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

I knew a lot of people who bought an Xbox just for Halo 1. Then I knew more people who bought an Xbox just for Halo 2. It is just amazing.

I was a little wrong with the Halo thing though. I know a couple of people who have a Gamecube and all they have is Super Smash Brothers.
yo w3rd.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 01:56 AM

Yeah super smash bros is the halo of the gamecube. Its been one of the top ten best selling games for 34 months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules