Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Did you know the isight does infrared?

Did you know the isight does infrared?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 06:51 AM

Just discovered that today. now trying to figure out what frequency it will work at. I'm tempted to build an IR illuminator using leds at 920nm, which is invisible to the naked eye. Might be an interesting project for nightvision experiments.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 12:47 PM

How do you mean?
If you mean, will it pick up Infra red, then yes it does, but then so does just about any form of video camera. But the colour is nearly always interpreted wrong. Easily demonstrated by operating an infra red remote control in front of the cam and viewing the results on screen. You will clearly see what appears to be a white light flickering on and off.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 12:57 PM

Yes, pretty sweet. Found out about it when trying out iGlasses.
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 26, 2005, 03:07 PM

All CCD image sensors are responsive to infrared. Every video camera made in the past 20-30 years is sensitive to infrared, unless it was equipped with an infrared filter.

tooki

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 07:37 PM

Guess other people did know. I'm not worried about the colours etc, I'm just thinking now of building an illuminator and seeing if it will actually work for some kind of nightvision.

I have an IR filter for my regular camera, for taking IR stills, so I put that over a maglite head and you could see it lighting up whatever I shone it at. Just something I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere else.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 01:49 AM

Um, talking about the "color" of infrared is meaningless. We can't see it; therefore it has no color.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2005, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Um, talking about the "color" of infrared is meaningless. We can't see it; therefore it has no color.
True, but if you have a colour camera it's possible to see an image in false colour under infrared light. In the past I've done some nice colour infrared photography.

I didn't mean that you could see the infrared as a colour.

J.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Just because humans can't see it, it doesn't mean that it's not a color.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 27, 2005, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Guess other people did know. I'm not worried about the colours etc, I'm just thinking now of building an illuminator and seeing if it will actually work for some kind of nightvision.
Yup, it's been done before, and many Sony camcorders and digital still cameras actually have IR emitters built in for one of the Super Nightshot modes.

tooki

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 10:37 AM

"Rays of light are not coloured." - Isaac Newton

guywithFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 03:31 AM

IR can be interpreted as any color, it just depends on the camera. depending on the camera IR could be red, green, blue, anything. sometimes depending on the camera a certain frequency can be user pre-defined to show up as a certain color.
12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive
1GB iPod Shuffle, 15GB 3rd Gen iPod, 80GB Black iPod Video

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 12:35 AM

Color is defined by what you can see, in order to see you must be able to distinguish it from other "colors". So, if you can see infrared, it's a color (it would be a very, very dark red...). If you can't, then it's not a color. Now, if I could only see those infrared stars.....
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Forum Links
Forum Rules