Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need help connecting (wirelessly) to PC

Need help connecting (wirelessly) to PC
i am yujin
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 10:18 PM

I use a Netgear 802.11 router that is connected to my iMac with an ethernet cord and my Dell Inspirion 8600 that is connected wirelessly to the router.

I'm trying to share the printer and also transfer files. Also, the Epson printer is connected to the iMac.

I turned on Personal File Sharing, Printer Sharing, and Windows Sharing on the iMac. The iMac recognizes the PC and can access the files but not vice versa. The iMac doesn't even show up on the PC.

What am I doing wrong!?!?
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 12:43 AM

just got a Dell myself and fought this for a bit. I don't know if this is the correct way, or I just found the backwards way to do it. Try this:

Start
My Network Places
View Workgroup computers (left top menu)
Microsoft Windows Network (left bottom menu)
WorkGroup

This works for me. It shows both of the Macs on my network. It seems that there should be an easier way.It seems though that the easy way is to use the Mac.
Good Luck

i am yujin  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by sknapp351:
just got a Dell myself and fought this for a bit. I don't know if this is the correct way, or I just found the backwards way to do it. Try this:

Start
My Network Places
View Workgroup computers (left top menu)
Microsoft Windows Network (left bottom menu)
WorkGroup

This works for me. It shows both of the Macs on my network. It seems that there should be an easier way.It seems though that the easy way is to use the Mac.
Good Luck
Wow, thanks!

I still can't seem to connect to a printer. I installed the drivers but nothing seems to work, ahh!!
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2005, 01:56 PM

Hope your still watching,
Found out how to print from xp to Mac. Once you have connected to to the Mac from Xp, go to printers/fax then choose to add a printer. Choose network printer. You should see the networked mac in workgroup and it's printers. Once you choose the printer it will tell you that doing so will automatically install a driver, choose yes. It will tell you then that the server does not have the right drivers installed and will ask if you want to look for them. Click yes. From here it gets weird. When you get the browse windo DO NOT pick your printer model. I dont know why, but like I said it's weird. Go to Apple and pick the first printer in the list and choose that one. From there I was able to print from Xp to both printers on the Mac.
Good Luck once again
Sam

i am yujin  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2005, 10:42 PM

Dammit, it's still not working!!

I did everything you said and if I try and print in MS Word, Word goes incredibly slow and has the waiting symbol while trying to print. After waiting like 5 minutes, nothing happens.
yo w3rd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules