Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SSH problems - please help!

SSH problems - please help!
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 07:40 AM

Does the SSH server have a logfile somewhere? Can I enable logging?
Can I flush all SSH settings and go back to default?

Reason: I can't connect to a remote OS X Server with SSH from my Mac. Other Macs and PCs are fine, but not mine!!

With this machine, connecting takes forever. I used to have a 10 second window to type my password, but now the connection just gets closed. We don't think it's our firewall.

I actually use the Migration Assistant to migrate to a new G5 and it seems I carried the problem across. I've upgraded to 10.4, doing an archive and install but preserving the users/network settings. I've tried a different IP address on my machine, to no avail.

I've got a feeling this will be one of those threads that sinks without a trace, so any help would be massively appreciated!

Chris
( Last edited by clebin; May 16, 2005 at 07:51 AM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 08:06 AM

There's a hidden folder that contains a list of trusted servers. use the go to folder... dialog and enter '~/.ssh'

You can delete what-all is in there, and you'll have to re-authenticate them all as you re-connect. Not sure if that's related, but it might help.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
There's a hidden folder that contains a list of trusted servers. use the go to folder... dialog and enter '~/.ssh'

You can delete what-all is in there, and you'll have to re-authenticate them all as you re-connect. Not sure if that's related, but it might help.
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to help.

I get the message about adding the key to the list of known hosts, but then I get 'Connection Closed by <ip address>' again.

Thanks anyway.
Chris

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 12:30 PM

That sounds like the remote machine is disconnecting you for some reason.

Check the config on that machine - see if perhaps only certain machines are permitted to connect and yours is not one of them.

Wade

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by clebin
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to help.

I get the message about adding the key to the list of known hosts, but then I get 'Connection Closed by <ip address>' again.

Thanks anyway.
Chris
If you use the -v flag with SSH, it will spit out more info. The man page says that you can put up to three of these flags in to increase the verbosity. This should tell you precisely what's going on.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius
If you use the -v flag with SSH, it will spit out more info. The man page says that you can put up to three of these flags in to increase the verbosity. This should tell you precisely what's going on.
Thanks. I did ssh -v -v -v username@ip-address.

It was actually trying to reverse map the server IP address to a name. That IP doesn't really have a name as it's external, and people aren't meant to know it's there - so SSH shouldn't insist on reverse-mapping it.

It's working now, and what (I think!) fixed it is adding the IP address into /etc/hosts, mapping to a made-up hostname. A silly fix for a silly probem, really.

Anyway, this has made my life much easier! Thanks all,

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules