Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new G5s coming out?

new G5s coming out?
segaslave
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 11:42 PM

ok i finally decided on the g5 to replace my old g4 450(its time). but is there any rumors of an announcement soon? i always seem to have bad timing when buying hardware lol.
:rolleyes:

danman
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 11:46 PM

I don't know but I just ordered a new dual 2ghz w/ 850xt card and 4gb of ram that should suit me for a while.

R!K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 07:28 AM

likewise, just invested in a dual 2.7 here.

I'd waited a while before getting mine until I finally decided it's better to have working machine here now that continually wondering what tomorrow may bring..
[FONT=Lucida Console]G5 Dual 2.7, 4.5Gb, 250Gb HD, X850XT, 23" ACD[/FONT]

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2005, 08:28 AM

I just ordered my new Dual 2.7 G5, too. I can't imaging Apple coming out with something new now before the Intel switch starting in '06. That just wouldn't make much sense.

segaslave  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lee33
I just ordered my new Dual 2.7 G5, too. I can't imaging Apple coming out with something new now before the Intel switch starting in '06. That just wouldn't make much sense.
they wont go that long without an update or reduce the price to get rid of them. also i didnt think they are going full intel across all models all at once. its supposed to be phased in(over a short period). new minis and ibooks are coming any day so i guess g5s will stay for a while at least. but there will be a bump/price cut eventually.
:rolleyes:

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 11:12 AM

The PowerMac line will be updated before the intel transition. They where recently updated at the end of April to the current specs so I can't see them doing anything else for some time.

Markarian421
Jul 25, 2005, 12:38 AM

It's reading tea leaves, but as far as I was able to tell (a month ago when I got mine) from the rumor mill there was no sign of any updates any time soon. If Apple is planning anything they have been unusually silent about it.
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 11:51 AM

The PowerMac G5's were just updated a few months ago in April, so you won't see another update until probably around January 2006.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 08:38 AM

I dunno, according to deal-mac, there are no more macs at Amazon except the mini.

http://dealmac.com/deals/No-Macs-at-...com/91949.html

Could a bump be coming?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

otheronenorehto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 10:00 AM

If not a bump will there be a pricecut in the next month or two? Speculation is all I've got...

menglish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 11:37 AM

I just received a dual 2.7 to replace my g4 450, what prompted me to finally pull the trigger was a technical presentation I saw a few weeks ago by Intel's chief IA32 microprocessor architect from 1992-2000. One of the main points of his presentation was that chip makers have decided to switch to dual cores because they can't squeeze any more performance out of their chips in the more conventional ways. He felt that the main bottlenecks in computing speed were no longer chip related but were basically related to problems feeding the processors.

My thinking was that there may be some minimal improvements in chip speeds, but overall two 2.7 g5's are likely to last me quite a long time if the best the chip companies can come up with is to slightly reduce the cost and heat by placing two cores on the same chip. I may have paid a little more for my two separate g5's, but I'll get to use them alot longer by getting them now, and they aren't likely to be completely outclasses in a year.

He also said that moving forward the lion's share of the responsibility for speed increases lies in the hands of software people, in coming up with innovative and reliable ways to keep multiple processors busy (see the cell processor, and the general lack of speed-up from the xbox 360).

gangster
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 07:50 PM

I was looking at the dual 2.0 pm at frys and they said they were out of stock at the san jose, ca locations and NOT EXPECTING MORE. I checked outpost.com (frys) and they too say out of stock. is something going to happen soon? since the 1.8 single went away and now this (maybe bad info) i'm wondering what is UP!?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by gangster
I was looking at the dual 2.0 pm at frys and they said they were out of stock at the san jose, ca locations and NOT EXPECTING MORE. I checked outpost.com (frys) and they too say out of stock. is something going to happen soon? since the 1.8 single went away and now this (maybe bad info) i'm wondering what is UP!?
Yeah, you didn't hear about the dual dual-core 4.0 GHz G5's on the way next week?

gangster
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Yeah, you didn't hear about the dual dual-core 4.0 GHz G5's on the way next week?
no, missed it!

lovehelena
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 10:14 PM

So, is IBM's new PowerPC going to be the heart of new Powermac that may come out

on Macworld Expo Paris? Anyone who has reliable rumor?
alice in wonderland

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2005, 10:37 PM

You might want to wait for the dual duals to come out next year...

lovehelena
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ValVashon
You might want to wait for the dual duals to come out next year...
Actually, I don't need that monster with four hearts within. Does that mean there may be no

normal dual powermac release on September?
alice in wonderland

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2005, 03:00 AM

even if the dual-core CPU will be used by Apple, it's no doubt an expensive chip. could september bring us 970GX powered Mac's at 3GHz?
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

matpop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2005, 09:19 AM

Yesterday I saw that in European Apple Store the 2.7 has changed the estimated ship from 4 business day to 3 - 4 weeks!!!
I was going to place an order, but with these dates I will wait till september then will see.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2005, 10:58 AM

Man, I thought rumor sites were overly optemistic... You guys are crazy if you think there is going to be an update any time within the next 3 months. Forget it guys. The latest trend by Apple is to update the PowerMac ever 9 months.

And we aren't going to see Intel PowerMacs till the end of 2006 or early 2007.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2005, 12:08 PM

It's sounding more like the end of '07, actually.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules