Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can I dual boot Linux and 10.4.2?

Can I dual boot Linux and 10.4.2?
coopns
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 11:41 AM

I was wondering if I can dual boot Linux...any flavor and 10.4.2? I have Xandros 3 but wouldn't mind trying another.

Advice and recommendations?

Thanks.
Coop

only120xs
Oct 3, 2005, 12:06 PM

You could run it in emulation I think... ??

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 12:10 PM

I do it on my Ti/400 using Ubuntu.

This said, you're going to need to partition your drive in order to do so. Partition the drive and then reinatall OSX first, before you install Linux. I made the mistake of doing it the other way around, and I've never since been able to figure out how to get OSX listed in the boot menu. I can still get to OSX by holding down the Option key at startup, but if I don't remember how to do that then the machine will start booting Linux immediately.

What I'd really like is for the Option-key screen to come up at startup by default. However, I haven't yet figured out if there's a way to do that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

only120xs
Oct 3, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium

This said, you're going to need to partition your drive in order to do so. Partition the drive and then reinatall OSX first, before you install Linux. I made the mistake of doing it the other way around, and I've never since been able to figure out how to get OSX listed in the boot menu. I can still get to OSX by holding down the Option key at startup, but if I don't remember how to do that then the machine will start booting Linux immediately.

What I'd really like is for the Option-key screen to come up at startup by default. However, I haven't yet figured out if there's a way to do that.
Much better answer...

coopns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 12:43 PM

Do I need a partitioning tool or does the eMac come with one? I didn't see one in the utilities.

So once I have two partitions set:

1. Install osx on one partition
2. Install Linux on second (Can I install any linux?)

That's it, is it? Figure out the bootloader after, eh?

Thanks.
Coop

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 01:41 PM

Disk Utility will let you partition. If you click on the drive rather than one of the volumes on a drive, it will have a Partition tab.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by coopns
Do I need a partitioning tool or does the eMac come with one? I didn't see one in the utilities.

So once I have two partitions set:

1. Install osx on one partition
2. Install Linux on second (Can I install any linux?)

That's it, is it? Figure out the bootloader after, eh?

Thanks.
Well, you can't just load any Linux on there. Has to be specifically for PPC (PowerPC).

coopns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 07:22 PM

Sorry...Don't understand the PowerPC. Sorry just learning here. I know PC and the Mac different chipsets and such. So which could I use? (Or which can't I use?)

Thanks.
Coop

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 08:26 PM

You need to use the Linux distros that are specific for PowerPC (PPC).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
You need to use the Linux distros that are specific for PowerPC (PPC).
Note that this doesn't necessarily mean a PPC-only distro. Such distros do exist; Yellow Dog Linux, which was originally based on Red Hat Linux and is now based on Fedora Core, is probably the oldest one around. However, many popular distributions have PPC versions now. I like Ubuntu, but SuSE and Debian also have versions, and I believe Mandriva does too.

Just make sure that you get the PPC version of whatever distribution you use.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 08:41 PM

I stand corrected on my wording. I meant to say PPC versions of Linux distros. YDL was actually the first distro to pop into my head while typing that post.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium

Glad it's not just me! Let me know if you figure out a way around this...

Oh, and another vote for Ubuntu - excellent system. They'll send you free install/live cds if you head over to their website and ask nicely.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Forum Links
Forum Rules