Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anybody know how to fix this? (previous thread is not working)

Anybody know how to fix this? (previous thread is not working)
deleonju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 02:26 PM

I have been having this problem for weeks. Dialog boxes do not show up where they are supposed to and buttons are impossible to click. anyone had this problem and fixed it?

thanks in advance.

jc

http://sjmug.dyndns.org/windowproblem.jpg

[edit: please follow our rules and don't post huge inline images -- tooki]

--sorry..
( Last edited by deleonju; Oct 26, 2005 at 04:05 PM. )

only120xs
Oct 26, 2005, 03:07 PM

Never had that exact problem, but I'll be you can "click" them if you click in the location where they are supposed to be....
Don't know how to fix it though, sorry.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 03:11 PM

what version osx? and is this in all apps, or just safari?

odd one (but then, that's what these forums are here for)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

deleonju  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 04:04 PM

This happens in every single app. runing Tiger 10.4.2. no extra stuff.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 04:06 PM

disk utility? (from the cd);
reinstall printer driver? (get the latest from the printer co. site...)

maybe time for an archive & install...

good luck!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

deleonju  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 05:05 PM

BTW, it's not just a print dialog problem. it happens with all dialog boxes in all applications that use them.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 05:13 PM

sounds like a job for... archive & install.

something seems hosed with your system.

(be sure you have installers available...some apps need a reinstall. quark, for example)

back up first!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 05:56 PM

Before I would try an archive and install, I'd create a new user, log in as that user, and see if the problem still occurs. If it does, then archive and install. If it works fine with the new user, though, then archive and install probably won't fix it as it's something in your home folder.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

royiskeen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 06:57 AM

Hi

yesterday my ibook started to seriously freak out.

initially the screen was completely blank and unresponsive when i came back to the computer after leaving it on overnight.

I restarted but only the apple image appeared and nothing else happened.

I restarted again but some applications wouldn't launch: safari, word, etc. Some store files would appear in folders only as text, no icons, and would then disappear when i clicked on them. As my computer memory is very full i discrded numerous files. It is still quite full though.

I have run a virus check but with no results.

I also ran the "/sbin/fsck - fy" script in single user mode. it listed streams of errors and said it coudlnt' repair them.

Does this sound liek a virus, or something that can be fixed? or is does it sound more like somethign that would require servicing to fix?

Or should i jsut throw the whole computer in the bin?

An advice would be greatly appreciated.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 07:54 AM

1. What iBook? G3/G4 Specs?
2. What OS?
3. There are NO viruses for Mac OS X.
4. Anti Virus programs WILL screw up your computer (especially Norton) - get rid of it. Read this - http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...&Number=713778
5. Don't throw the computer in the bin.
6. Next time please start your own thread.

royiskeen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 08:28 AM

sorry - couldn't start a new thread for some reason. explorer is provbing temperamental too.

Specs:
Machine Model: iBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 933 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz

MAc OSX 10.3.9

I know Mac viruses are rare but i couldn't think of any other reason for it. Maybe it's rust because i live near the beach! It's got me stumped.

Other things are working okay though - as i can type this and access the internet.

Itunes and others are affected as well though.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 08:55 AM

What Anti Virus program are you using? I would recommend getting rid of it.

Are you using Internet Explorer? It may be worth while using Safari or Camino. http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Download smart reporter and keep an eye on your hard drives S.M.A.R.T status.
http://homepage.mac.com/julianmayer/
Also check in Disk Utility and see what the S.M.A.R.T status of your drive is.

I know you iBook is a G4 but does the serial number fall under those that are included in the Logic Board Replacement program?

I know it's unlikely but for the iMac recall program only the rev. a's were recalled and yet some of the rev. b's serial numbers were included.

Sounds like you have some disk problems and I would advise that you do a complete backup ASAP in case the drive is failing.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 08:58 AM

Bump - forum error and it's not saying I was the last to reply.

royiskeen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 09:29 AM

thanks sean

i only downloaded the anti virus program when the problem occurred. will purge it now though.

i normally use safari but it won't launch anymore. the icon bounces a few times then stops. I downloaded a new version but it said it couldn't install it. same thing with other softwarte updates, and when i tried to reload the OS.

Am downloading the smart reporter now.

Wasn't aware of the Logic Board Replacement program. Can you direct me to where i can find serial number listings?

sorry for my incredible naivete - but how do i do a complete backup?

Originally Posted by seanc
What Anti Virus program are you using? I would recommend getting rid of it.

Are you using Internet Explorer? It may be worth while using Safari or Camino. http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Download smart reporter and keep an eye on your hard drives S.M.A.R.T status.
http://homepage.mac.com/julianmayer/
Also check in Disk Utility and see what the S.M.A.R.T status of your drive is.

I know you iBook is a G4 but does the serial number fall under those that are included in the Logic Board Replacement program?

I know it's unlikely but for the iMac recall program only the rev. a's were recalled and yet some of the rev. b's serial numbers were included.

Sounds like you have some disk problems and I would advise that you do a complete backup ASAP in case the drive is failing.

royiskeen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 09:35 AM

thankfully my computer doens't fall within the number range.

another stange thing is that some of the recent downloads work (ie: some applications) but explorer won't remember any favourites i save.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 09:37 AM

Here's the link to the Logic Board Repair program http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ibook/faq/

You can't re-install the OS??

Did you boot from the CD by holding down the C key at startup after the chime or did you try to start it from within the OS so that it would reboot and do it?

I'd wait to see what condition the drive is in before doing a re-install as you may completely screw things up otherwise.

Do you have any external drives?
A firewire drive would be good if you have it and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal drive to an external drive. http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
Firewire drives are bootable - USB ones are not.

If you don't have any external drives then backup your important stuff to another computer/iPod/CD etc.

royiskeen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 09:59 AM

SMART report says the drive is fine.

i tried to reload OS within the OS and it seemed to be working but gave me an error at the end stating it couldn't be installed.

Originally Posted by seanc
Here's the link to the Logic Board Repair program http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ibook/faq/

You can't re-install the OS??

Did you boot from the CD by holding down the C key at startup after the chime or did you try to start it from within the OS so that it would reboot and do it?

I'd wait to see what condition the drive is in before doing a re-install as you may completely screw things up otherwise.

Do you have any external drives?
A firewire drive would be good if you have it and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal drive to an external drive. http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
Firewire drives are bootable - USB ones are not.

If you don't have any external drives then backup your important stuff to another computer/iPod/CD etc.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 10:49 AM

It's probably saying that because you already have an OS installed.
Try setting it to do an archive and install and then see whether it'll let you re-install.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 10:51 AM

bump -forum problems

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by royiskeen
SMART report says the drive is fine.

i tried to reload OS within the OS and it seemed to be working but gave me an error at the end stating it couldn't be installed.
You know, it's possible that your drive could be failing, but then again it could just be simple directory structure errors, since you mentioned fsck giving a stream of them. Have you tried running DiskWarrior on the drive?

At any rate, if the disk has a lot of errors on it, you're going to have to clean it up before installing the OS on it, either using DiskWarrior or by reformatting the drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules