Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting a powerbook.. do you use your powerbook at school?

Getting a powerbook.. do you use your powerbook at school?
steve500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 07:01 PM

Okay, so I am getting a 1.5ghz new 12" powerbook. This is my first post here by the way, it seems like a really nice community. Well.. I was wondering if there are many people on here that are in highschool and bring their powerbook to school with them I thought it would be nice to use for desktop publishing class and yearbook... I also take a lot of pictures, a lot of them I take at school, I like the whole photography thing so it would be also cool to use to edit and organize pictures on my free time while i am there. But if you do bring your powerbook with you, how are you carrying it? I thought it would be okay just getting a neoprene sleeve for it and slipping that in my backpack... then never let my backpack out of site, right now my backpack goes everywhere with me at school because i dont really use my locker, i have a tendency to forget my books on the way to class so I just pack them everywhere I go... I just got use to it. But yeah I can't wait to get my powerbook. This might be off my topic but does it come with a VGA and DVI cable? thanks.

steve

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2005, 08:02 PM

i used my 12" 1.5 Ghz in highschool and it was fine.
the best sleeve for it is the http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleev...leevecases.htm
you should also pick up a gig of ram if possible. it is REALLY worth it.
it comes with mini DV.

try not to be too involved with your computer. it will isolate you.
keep friends, hang out, drink, smoke, etc.
then again, high school is a bitch.

steve500  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 08:36 PM

hehe thanks... yeah I have tried not to get too involved with my computer... i do much more than what i usually do on my computer now... I like to hang out with friends, Atv ridin' is always fun, i do that a lot, im looking forward to the snow! At school I'm known as "the camera man" because i carry my camera everywhere with me... highschool is a bitch, but it hasnt gotten me killed yet
( Last edited by steve500; Dec 6, 2005 at 08:42 PM. )
/dev/powerbook12-1.5ghz/g3server/60gb-blackiPodvideo/20gb3giPod/20"dell2005fpw/macmini(dad's)1.42ghz/othercrap...etc

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 10:01 PM

Even when I was in college, like a year ago, no one actually brought their laptop with them to class. No one. Only the hard core comp sci people brought it to comp sci class (so I`m told). Though i found many more uses for it outside the classroom.

Oddl enough I take my powerbook with me to work every day, which happens to be at a school.

Sometimes a paper notebook works better. They also come in wireless.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2005, 04:25 AM

I never had a laptop in highschool, but here in college I have recorded most of my classes with Office 2004. Yes I asked my teachers first. It really comes in handy, but I'm not sure if the battery would last long enough for a day in highschool.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 05:52 AM

your high school allows you to have laptops in class/at school?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

b33faroni
Dec 7, 2005, 11:51 AM

I use my 12 in my highschool, typing this during history class right now lol. Yea my school lets me take it, although not many people do have one.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2005, 12:08 PM

Same at my university. You can take it to class, most people don't. Many however, use their laptops on campus, at the library and so on.

I use mine on occasion at campus now, but only when I have some specific work I want to do on my computer, rather than a shared one (PC) in the computer labs. That, and providing it's a good day (no rain = big plus!).

I get a smile whenever I walk past and see a glowing Apple logo.

wow.. i am a veteran member now.. i feel special!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

steve500  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 01:30 PM

Well... most of my teachers just dont care. We live in a small area.. once you get to know all your teachers they dont mind what ya do if you ask them. I know a few people here with ibooks and powerbooks. The only class I will find myself using it in is mainly yearbook/desktop publishing.
/dev/powerbook12-1.5ghz/g3server/60gb-blackiPodvideo/20gb3giPod/20"dell2005fpw/macmini(dad's)1.42ghz/othercrap...etc

Jens Peter
Senior User
Dec 7, 2005, 01:52 PM

I do to - just finishing my master thesis on my sweet 12". Writing my thesis would not have been the same without it
But before that, I had no use for it at school - paper and pen stille beats it when writing notes/diagrams..

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by steve500
Well... most of my teachers just dont care. We live in a small area.. once you get to know all your teachers they dont mind what ya do if you ask them. I know a few people here with ibooks and powerbooks. The only class I will find myself using it in is mainly yearbook/desktop publishing.
cool; i was just surprised that a high school would allow students to bring them. the ones i have worked at were very against it (as school policy)...maybe i just worked in the wrong districts.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

saint_theodora
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 02:24 PM

i used a laptop every day in one of the first high schools in the country to require them. i found it useful as an organizational tool; keeping all my notes and papers in one place. in my third year of university i find my 12 inch powerbook even more useful. if you learn to use a laptop for effective and convenient study skills early on, you will never regret it.

rolfus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 02:40 PM

i take my 17'' to school every day. but here in denmark we got a different schoolsystem than in the states, so there is nothing to compare.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005, 01:32 AM

I never had a laptop in highschool, and never really had any use for it to be honest. My school didn't have WiFi or even net jacks to hook into anyway. I personally think taking it in your case is a great idea, just be careful with it. Learning to work effectively can never start too early. If you're mature enough not to use it as a distraction, then by all means, take it.

On a side note I'm a junior at penn state right now. In most clases you won't see a laptop at all, but I'd venture to guess that about half of my friends who have laptops do have them on campus atleast once or twice a week if not every day. As an engineering major there isn't really an effective way to use a laptop in most classes, as making diagrams would be way too time consuming on a computer. Paper and pencil is the best bet in these cases. However, I do tend to use my laptop for my biological systems modeling lab currently (running matlab on osx instead of the crappy dells we have). I've also taken it to certain lecture classes where there is no diagram drawing (in many of our biological sciences classes there are diagrams, but it would take the professor a week to actually draw them, so they are just shown on an overhead and refrenced in the text). I can certainly type much faster on my notebook than I can handwrite, and it doesn't make my hands hurt. In these classes being able to type while looking at the screan and paying attention is a huge advantage. Praise AOL for inventing instant messenger where I learned all my typing skills...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 08:29 AM

Laptops are common in all the classes I go to (University of Calgary), except Math. I am Comp. Sci. but I still see a lot in things like Communication Studies, or even Philosophy. Interestingly about 50% of the notebooks I see are Mac (even in Computer Science classes).

What percentages are you guys seeing?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
I never had a laptop in highschool, and never really had any use for it to be honest. My school didn't have WiFi or even net jacks to hook into anyway. I personally think taking it in your case is a great idea, just be careful with it. Learning to work effectively can never start too early. If you're mature enough not to use it as a distraction, then by all means, take it.

On a side note I'm a junior at penn state right now. In most clases you won't see a laptop at all, but I'd venture to guess that about half of my friends who have laptops do have them on campus atleast once or twice a week if not every day. As an engineering major there isn't really an effective way to use a laptop in most classes, as making diagrams would be way too time consuming on a computer. Paper and pencil is the best bet in these cases. However, I do tend to use my laptop for my biological systems modeling lab currently (running matlab on osx instead of the crappy dells we have). I've also taken it to certain lecture classes where there is no diagram drawing (in many of our biological sciences classes there are diagrams, but it would take the professor a week to actually draw them, so they are just shown on an overhead and refrenced in the text). I can certainly type much faster on my notebook than I can handwrite, and it doesn't make my hands hurt. In these classes being able to type while looking at the screan and paying attention is a huge advantage. Praise AOL for inventing instant messenger where I learned all my typing skills...
My former college room mate is a new Grad Student there. Please look up Jared Lee, (For more Lee related info go to www.Jared-Lee.com) and bug the heck out of him. It'll be worth your time.

blue_soda025
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 07:25 PM

I never used a laptop in high school, nor found it necessary. In fact, I don't think I've even seen anyone at my high school bring their laptop to school. Probably different at other schools though.. but I never thought laptops in high school were that common. I doubt my teachers would let us use one in class anyways..
I do bring my laptop to school often now though (I'm at UBC now) and I see a lot of people with laptops. I don't really use mine in class often though. I prefer to take notes by hand. I do, however, use it a lot between classes (especially during 4 hour breaks like I had on Wednesdays). Also helps a lot to have it at school with me when I have a computer science assignment so I can just work on it during my breaks.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001
Laptops are common in all the classes I go to (University of Calgary), except Math. I am Comp. Sci. but I still see a lot in things like Communication Studies, or even Philosophy. Interestingly about 50% of the notebooks I see are Mac (even in Computer Science classes).

A lot more macs than market share alone would indicate. Our computer stores always have powerbooks and ibooks as well as iMac and powermac systems for sale. I'd venture to guess that I see about 40/60 split macs/pc on campus except in the library. It seems that more people drag their big arse pc notebooks to the library, thus changing those numbers a bit. I'd venture to guess that more people with iBooks/Powerbooks actually carry them around on a daily basis due to their size. Also, all of our computer labs (and we have a LOT of computer labs) have macs of some sort in them. In addition, most of the terminals in the student union type buildings and such are macs (you can quickly hop on them to check e-mail and such).
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T

Ryknow215
Dec 12, 2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 11011001

--At my university (Connecticut) all of the business majors carry around new IBM Thinkpads. However, I am in the school of liberal arts so I see a lot of Powerbooks and iBooks around. The 12" iBooks seem to be a really popular pick on this campus. Every now and then I'll see the occasional Dell notebook but I think the Macs overshadow the PCs in the liberal arts school. The Apple tech that works at our bookstore told me once that the 15" Powerbooks and iBooks are the biggest seller on campus...everyone buys them around the holiday season.

I used to take my Pismo to my classes (while i still had space in the backpack, not so much these days) and it was great. It definitely helped me out with a couple group projects, making Powerpoints in Office 2004 and other stuff.

But you know what I think is interesting/funny? Whenever I show my Pismo to other students, they seem to instantly fall in love with Powerbooks. Even a friend of mine (a business major with one of the new snazzy Thinkpads that I mentioned) told me that he wished the school gave him an option cause he would have hands down picked a Powerbook over a Thinkpad. My girlfriend's Dell Inspirion is dying a slow death and whenever I'm not using mine, she's on it. She's even eyeballing the 17" PB they're selling in our bookstore.

Seems to me that there are alot of closet Apple fans out there

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
My former college room mate is a new Grad Student there. Please look up Jared Lee, (For more Lee related info go to www.Jared-Lee.com) and bug the heck out of him. It'll be worth your time.
I checked out his web site... pretty nice looking I don't know him personally, and since he's a meteo grad, and I'll never have a class in that department, I probably never will. I do like how he has on his contact page "if you want to know my dorm room phone number please e-mail or IM me" - or something to that effect. I guess he hasn't been at PSU long enough to know that everyone living in the dorms is indexed for easy herassment. 2 seconds on stalkernet turned his number up. Perhaps I shall give him a call

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 01:56 PM

i use my powerbook whilst at college (graphic design) and the 12" is the perfect computer to take to class vs the 15" and 17" powerbooks. you could seriously use the 12" anywhere on campus, and the best part is that theres no balancing required (we have small desks at my school).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 05:27 PM

I never used a laptop in high school, ever.

As a senior in college, I've rarely used my laptop in class, as I take notes with pen and notebooks even though I'm a sociology major and it's all conceptual, so I could take these notes on a laptop.

I see various laptops around campus, mostly Macs and Dells. I use my PB 12" and I bring it with me, but mostly to use it at work, which is on our campus.

x.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
I checked out his web site... pretty nice looking I don't know him personally, and since he's a meteo grad, and I'll never have a class in that department, I probably never will. I do like how he has on his contact page "if you want to know my dorm room phone number please e-mail or IM me" - or something to that effect. I guess he hasn't been at PSU long enough to know that everyone living in the dorms is indexed for easy herassment. 2 seconds on stalkernet turned his number up. Perhaps I shall give him a call
PLease do. Maybe make something up how you found his name and phone number on a gay personals page. My god that would be funny. No, seriously. He`s very conservitive and its not been the same since I moved away and havn`t had him around to harrass every day. I miss the bugger.

Forum Links
Forum Rules