Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I need an AWD car

I need an AWD car
MrsLarry
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 12:48 PM

i live on a huge hill. when it snows bad, my 94 civic, just ain't cuttin it. i need something AWD, but i'm sooooo sick of everyone telling me to get a subaru, i just don't like the look of them, just my personal pref, no offense to subaru owners out there.

any suggestions?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 12:57 PM

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 12:58 PM

A4

s40

go get the latest car and driver- there's a test of AWD sedans in there.

or get some better snow tires (NOT all seasons). you'd be amazed what you can do with FWD with good tires.,

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 01:00 PM

unfortunately soobs arent the greatest looking cars, but my 91 legacy is a beast, never gave me a problem and it rules in the snow. Audis are super sweet also, dont know if you can find one for a good price though.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 01:01 PM

Dodge Stealth

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 01:08 PM

Yeah, go Audi.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2006, 01:10 PM

A4
S40
325xi/330xi

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 01:27 PM

I'm thinking of getting snows for my Jetta, since the car slips when I drive over an ice cube, and you can imagine how driving in a Rochester winter is hazardous!

Do you need to buy a new set of rims and physically swap out the tires every winter? Or can you get away with keeping the snows on in the summer?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm a total idiot with cars....

(BTW, our other car is a Subaru. I can't spinf the thing out if I tried. If you don't like how the Subarus look, look at a Saab -- they have the Subaru AWD now, or so I'm told....)

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry
i live on a huge hill. when it snows bad, my 94 civic, just ain't cuttin it. i need something AWD, but i'm sooooo sick of everyone telling me to get a subaru, i just don't like the look of them, just my personal pref, no offense to subaru owners out there.

any suggestions?
Keep your Civic and get snow tires. Real snow tires.

jebjeb
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 01:42 PM

I would also imagine that your 94 Civic is too old to have traction control. It is amazing what a decent traction control system can do (no matter how good one is with a clutch) in snow or even on sheet ice.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 01:45 PM

just get snow tires. if you insist on awd pick the car you want but with the awd option.

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 01:52 PM

g35x
one post closer to five stars

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 02:00 PM

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought Subaru.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by JoshKurtz
As soon as I saw the thread title I thought Subaru.
I guess that means they have pretty effective marketing

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 02:13 PM

3 letters..... W R X
Joe

only120xs
Feb 2, 2006, 02:15 PM

Subarus are beasts in the snow... for a new car that's probably your cheapest option too. Though as others have mentioned, there are Audi, Volvo, Infiniti, VW, Mazda6, etc.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 02:18 PM

I would certainly recommend a Volvo. A very safe and solid car line. Your price range would determine the model. We have a Volvo XC 70 wagon.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 02:19 PM

Chances are you need snow tires, not an AWD car. If you do, then I like the Audis.

Nick
Feb 2, 2006, 03:05 PM

get a more powerful FWD or RWD car

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nick
get a more powerful FWD or RWD car

RWD - really?? I thought RWD was pretty much useless in bad weather? My boyfriend used to have a Camaro and it was no good in snow.

Nick
Feb 2, 2006, 03:18 PM

Well front or rear drive can be bad in the snow. FWD and RWD are equally "bad" in terms of starting from a stand still, assuming the car has decent weight balance. But if you have enough confidence (and power) then getting started is almost always possible.

As for going around corners and stuff, a RWD car is much easier to lose control of, if you are pressing the gas at all. That's why people say it's worse, because it can fishtail easily. FWD is a bit more controlled, but it can also give a false sense of confidence and completely go out of control too in bad situations.

AWD is GOOD, especially for getting started if you just want a practical car. My only concern with it for casual drivers is it can give a false sense of confidence. You can't go around corners any faster with it. You can't stop any faster (duh). And you can still get stuck in very bad conditions.

Something that is very important for keeping the car under control in the snow -- far more so than AWD -- is traction control. It makes a HUGE difference.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2006, 03:32 PM

GMC Typhoon. V6, Turbo, AWD. I'd go for black.
ice

nerd
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 03:33 PM

Get now tires. I go in all kinds of things in my Mini with the snows on there. Plus the tires are a lot cheaper then a new car.

Nick
Feb 2, 2006, 03:35 PM

Yep, tires are very important. They make a huge difference.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
GMC Typhoon. V6, Turbo, AWD. I'd go for black.
That is good for MELTING snow!
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 03:57 PM

Good suggestions so far. The typhoon, by the way, is a monster. It's very fast, an automatic (which snaps your neck when it shifts), and guzzles gas. Not my idea of a daily driver.

Here's a suggestion: SAAB 9-2X. Yeah yeah I know, it has a subaru powertrain, but it looks much nicer inside and out, and what's wrong with the subaru powertrain? They really do know what they're doing.

Evo is also an option, although I have heard anecdotally that they are terrible daily drivers.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 04:01 PM

Yep, tires are very important. They make a huge difference.
Tires are not only very important but they are of utmost importance. Any car, FWD/RWD/AWD, can only stop or steer as well as its tires allow; this applies at all times of the year, but unfortunately most people only buy tires on the basis of price.
I suggest picking up a cheap set of wheels and putting the snow tires on them so that it's easy and inexpensive (or free, if you DIY) to mount them. It's also better for the tires to not be unmounted and remounted twice a year.

nerd
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
t's also better for the tires to not be unmounted and remounted twice a year.
Why's this? To NOT be unmounted?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Keep your Civic and get snow tires. Real snow tires.
seriously, light FWD cars are awesome in the snow. i had a festive for a while, that thing was awesome. probably helped that it was so underpowered that you COULDN'T spin the tires.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 04:57 PM

double psot.
( Last edited by d4nth3m4n; Feb 2, 2006 at 05:04 PM. )

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 05:20 PM

I pass Audis, Fords, Land Rovers in the snow and ice all the time.

In my Subaru.

If you want to get up to the mountain and hit some pipes, terrain parks, jumps, cliffs, tree-boarding (no, not skiing like a pussy ), anyway. If you're more concerned about looks, go get a Porsche and live in L.A.

JacobyO
Feb 2, 2006, 05:49 PM

Subarus are always AWD. Pretty much all other AWD systems are FWD until there is slippage then it shifts power to the rears.

I have tested the BMW, Volkswagen, and Volvo AWD systems back to back and Subaru's was without a doubt the best.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by nerd
Why's this? To NOT be unmounted?
A ham-fisted tire guy can damage the sidewall and bead of the tires, not to mention the possibility of wheel damage from the machine and pry bar. When buying snow tires, smaller is better, so a set of small steel wheels, such as those for the OP's Civic, should be very plentiful and cheap, so why not just have 'em ready to go so it's easy to put them on right before the first storm of the year.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 06:27 PM

How about a 1978 Dodge Aspen. It weighs like 40 tons. The snow will melt from the shear friction.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JacobyO
Subarus are always AWD. Pretty much all other AWD systems are FWD until there is slippage then it shifts power to the rears.

I have tested the BMW, Volkswagen, and Volvo AWD systems back to back and Subaru's was without a doubt the best.
infiniti starts as RWD.
one post closer to five stars

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2006, 07:38 PM

Well front or rear drive can be bad in the snow. FWD and RWD are equally "bad" in terms of starting from a stand still, assuming the car has decent weight balance. But if you have enough confidence (and power) then getting started is almost always possible.
Sorry, but I have to disagree, RWD are much worse when starting from a stand-still. I remember how often my dad's E320 used to get stuck when it was icy. Basically what happens is that while the front is still at a stand-still, the rear pushes, but all it does is rotate the car slowly around the front wheels.
As for going around corners and stuff, a RWD car is much easier to lose control of, if you are pressing the gas at all. That's why people say it's worse, because it can fishtail easily. FWD is a bit more controlled, but it can also give a false sense of confidence and completely go out of control too in bad situations.
Obviously you can't beat the laws of physics, but still I felt more comfortable (both as a driver and a passenger) in a FWD.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by JacobyO
Most Audis use 60:40 under normal conditions (the RS4 for instance has it reversed).

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 08:08 PM

I had a Saab that was simply awesome in the snow. Front wheel drive. Next for me is probably a Ford Expedition.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Sorry, but I have to disagree, RWD are much worse when starting from a stand-still. I remember how often my dad's E320 used to get stuck when it was icy. Basically what happens is that while the front is still at a stand-still, the rear pushes, but all it does is rotate the car slowly around the front wheels.

Obviously you can't beat the laws of physics, but still I felt more comfortable (both as a driver and a passenger) in a FWD.
I think you're somewhat incorrect in your first statement. Starting from a stand-still under low grip conditions, all that matters to determine your traction in either a FWD or RWD car is:

-the grip of the tires (affected by the tire design, road surface, and, to a limited extent, the weight of the vehicle)
-the percentage of the vehicle's weight that is over the drive wheels (affected by vehicle design and arrangement of passengers and cargo)

I will admit that, because the overwhelming majority of cars are front-engine, most FWD cars tend to have more weight over their front wheels than RWD cars have weight over their rear wheels. But, this still depends entirely on the car. And, once you get onto higher traction surfaces (light snow/wet vs. deep snow/ice) you get more weight transfer onto the rear wheels from the acceleration so RWD improves and FWD suffers.

About your second point, FWD has the advantage of being more stable than RWD. For most drivers without professional training, this is a big advantage in low-grip conditions.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2006, 09:05 PM

I wasn't making a theoretical argument. It's what I have experienced and seen in every winter. Ever seen a Porsche try to get out of a parallel parking spot on icy ground?

The problem in my specific example was that the engine was simply far too powerful. The tires (properly sized snow tires, mind you) were fine, it was really the combination of a large engine plus RWD (and at least in Germany, most RWD cars tend to have more power since they usually are luxury cars).
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb 3, 2006 at 04:06 AM. )

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 04:07 PM

Bottom line: AWD trumps all forms of 2-wheel drive wussy-ness.

memento
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 04:59 PM

This is all well and good, but I never saw a mention of a price range. That can very quickly eliminate many AWD cars.

I live on a mountain and AWD is pretty much required. My wife is in the market for a new car because she can't get to the house in her FWD.

I know you said no to subie, but I can't praise mine enough. The best AWD out there. That's all I'll say about it.

Others I know of: Mazdaspeed 6
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
BMW
Mercedes
VW Passat
Audi
Saab 9-2x (which is a subaru impreza wagon)
Dodge Magnum, Caliber, and maybe more of their new ones
Chrysler 300
Ford (one of their new ugly cars has AWD as an option, don't remember or care which one)
Volvo
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47
I had a Saab that was simply awesome in the snow. Front wheel drive. Next for me is probably a Ford Expedition.

I second that. My Saab 900 is a brilliant car in the snow. ATC with good winter tires makes a huge difference.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2006, 05:23 PM

Ford 500.. and probably cheaper than some of the suggestions. (not all are AWD, but it's an option)

http://www.myford500.com/photos/show...2/cat/2/page/1
ice

jebjeb
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic
Bottom line: AWD trumps all forms of 2-wheel drive wussy-ness.

I'll assume you are being sarcastic.

AWD is certainly practical in winter areas but remember that this is purely to increased traction opposed to increased grip. This seems to be a common misconception of most uninformed AWD supporters.

An AWD car still only has the same tyre contact patch area as a FWD or RWD car, it just spreads the proportion of torque amongst more than two of its wheels.

The most common failing of AWD cars is their poor steering feel. Audi is only just starting to get it right with the new model RS4 (which I am yet to drive) but my experience with all the other Audi's and Subaru's I have driven is that they are lifeless at the front end. Audi likes to think that by adding lots of weight to the steering that it somehow increases feel but all it does is deaden the wheel even more. This is an opinion supported by most car journos.

This is not to say that Audi's and such are not good cars. Many of the Audi's I have driven have been great cars in many aspects. If I lived in an area badly affected by winter I would probably jump on one.

Now there are exceptions to everything, but except for a few models (WRX's and Mitsubishi EVO's plus the odd Audi and Lambo), most AWD cars are not particularly sporting. This is not a bad thing and it all depends on what one wants from a car.

So to come back on topic, tyres do appear to be the most important aspect of winter motoring. Look at the option of investing there before you jump into a new car.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 09:25 PM

in snow.

Originally Posted by jebjeb
I'll assume you are being sarcastic.

AWD is certainly practical in winter areas but remember that this is purely to increased traction opposed to increased grip. This seems to be a common misconception of most uninformed AWD supporters.
… a bunch of blablahblah cut out…

jebjeb
Senior User
Feb 4, 2006, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic
in snow.
Then we agree. Would have been best to clarify this in your earlier post.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry

any suggestions?

Your own two feet. Try walking. You would be amazed.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 06:47 AM

There is only one sensible option:

The best 4x4xFar.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2006, 10:43 AM

MY dad's old RWD Suburban hds a limited slip diff and was great in the snow.

My car is FWD (and very heavy) and can get through any snow not over its hood.

AWD is great, but alot of AWD cars come with low profile wheels and wide tires, which basically act as skis on snow.

Get snow tires on the Civic and you should be all set.

Forum Links
Forum Rules