Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The 10.5 Wishlist

The 10.5 Wishlist (Page 4)
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 05:35 PM

We need new roads!

webraider
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 09:46 PM

Wow! doesn't that bring back memories. I know Classic isn't as stable as OSX and I know it didn't "look" as good.. but I really miss it's simplicity. I sometimes wonder if we are better off with what we got. I kind of wish Apple had built OS X from the ground up. Alas.. no sense in hanging on.. it's not going to change the future!

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 10:28 PM

Hey, it isn't too late. Apple can *still* make a good OS. (IMO OS X is "above averege" and at the same time it is the best OS in the world today. That's mostly because the competition is so awful)

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 01:38 AM

dudes, comparing os 10.4 to Openstep is like comparing vista to windows 3.1. They've redone enough to stop blaming osx's shortcomings on apple not writing one from scratch. plus, remember what happened last time apple tried writing an OS from scratch? they couldn't.

yoshiTA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 04:25 PM

• We need a decent finder. Tabs is a must - heck, Apple should just look how PathFinder 4.x does it.
• Virtual desktop spaces for portables - just look at Desktop Manager - exposé is a joke compared.
• Full dictionary, translation + thesaurus for all installed languages.
• browser functionality like "keep last item activated/highlighted" (Action Utilities)
• Add a search engine in browser menu
• Add the navigation/functionality from "Click there it is".
• Add an easy way to reconfigure global key commands. (Drag&Drop like in Avid MediaComposer)
• Add a "naked GUI" mode where all bells & whistles are optionally shut off.
• Add layers to the stupid Dock. Or just buy DragThing. The Dock, as is, officially sucks.
• Add a decent FTP environment
• Please add the Pile technology!
• Add "Save As Archive" to Safari - for offline references.
• Add a shelf to the finder (like in NEXT)
• Make an iTMS like browser for software purchases or updates. Get notified when that utility is out - just drag your util into the browser. That would be an instant hit.
• Buy Linotype's Fontexplorer X - and get a font environment that actually works.
• Add a zoom-lens for short-sighted people to drag over regions. Somewhat like the Aperture lens.
• Update Preview! Add support for layers, U3D data and hyperlinks...just to mention the obvious.

I would also welcome bugfixes; like
• ghosting an icon until it's transfered (via network or the like). As of now there is no visual hint about its status.
• Fix that **** thing called spotlight. Quickly searching in the folder you're currently browsing is now a 3-click experience instead of 1-click like it used to be.
• Fix the sluggish response from multi-button mice/trackballs. The dropdowns takes eons to open compared with Windows.

...just for starters,okay?

Soapmuseum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 11:56 AM

A few items that would be nice...

1) Be able to go into preferences and designate an area for new windows or pallettes to open into instead of the whole desktop. I find it very annoying that when a new window opens, it goes under my dock and all the way to the edge of my screen. I envision being able to drag and area with that mouse that defines the outer limits of all new windows, similiar to how would do a screen shot. Then when new things are opened, they will confine themselves to that area unless you respecify it in preferences. Of course you could still drag a window all the way to edge using the manual handles if you wanted, I'm just talking about a preset.

2) Be able to Adjust Dock Opacity if you wanted to make it more easy to see against a multicolored desktop pattern or image.

3) I am a printer by trade so I use a great deal of different printers with lots of different print presets. What ends up happening is that I have twenty five print presets in my print dialog box and many of them don't apply to the other printers. I would like to see the print presets display only those that apply to a given printer after you select a printer from the drop down menu. It would alleviate a lot of the confusion of remembering what print presets go with what printer.

hrmpf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 12:48 PM

Apple REALLY needs to sort out Spotlight and make it useful

Apple has some patent applications for Spotlight- they show a lot of features that didn't make it into Spotlight in 10.4.

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/60/apple-...-and-spotlight

they do show some alternative styles of browsing, and secondary metadata creation and nested Smart Folders- but it is a bit hard to see a coherent vision for the NEW Finder.

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 06:34 PM

• A divorce between the metal window/aqua window interfaces in the Finder. (I also wonder whether Metal windows would be better off not offering Icon views, and likewise Aqua windows needn't offer Column views . . . but that's a different story.)

Anyway, I'd like to choose my default window style as a preference, with the other style requiring a modifier key. Plus I'd like metal window setting to not overwrite my Aqua 'spatial' icon view arrangements - this would obviously be a by-product of the divorce.

• It goes without saying that the above would bring back the toolbar to Aqua windows, and I'd like a NexT shelf too.

• Option to restrict file-naming to be Windows-legal. (The number of times Mac to Win file copies are tripped up by illegal characters I can't begin to count.) In fact, Mac OSX's file copy routines really need an overhaul: Selective Replace, for a start, plus if I'm attempting to copy 4GB via a network, it's because I want to - I don't want the whole copy to trip up because of one illegal character - I;d like the copy to proceed in its own thread with the error copies to be presented to me with the option for me to correct or cancel them individually.

• QuickTime/iTunes support for .flac, .ape and .shn files

• Consistent (expanded) right-click support - i.e. View Options in the Finder. In Safari I want right-click to give me a menu to 'Open in new Window/Tab' any bookmarked item, not just the (visible-only) Bookmark-bar items. And why doesn't Safari have a right widget to hide all window-menu items? More on Safari. Why doesn't right-clicking 'Search in Google' do the damn search in a new window, like Firefox?

• I really do think Apple are going entirely the wrong way with having multiple incompatible 'virtual' filesystems within their iApp's, (iTunes, iPhone) and now Aperture and AppleLoop Browser and Spotlight too. This meta-data functionality should be handed back to the entire OS, so that every app has access to it - and Finder windows could thus edit MP3 or RAW tags, for example, and Apple's iApp's would remain as showcase front-ends for this data, but as things stand, the multiple 'virtual' filesystems are more obfuscating for people who do need to edit their real files, and move them between applications . . . .

• Some consistency to icon dragging - 'Command' should be required to remove Dock items, as it is for Menu Bar and Metal Finder Window Menu items, and as it isn't for Safari, Consistency, please!

• More for the Dock: Spring-loaded folder puh-lease!

• Sort out the UI! I'm using 'Uno' so things aren't so bad, but the 'Pro' interface, plus 'Aqua, 'Metal', 'Unified' 'Garageband'. It's a clash of styles - some app's even maintaining their traffic light widgets even though I've globally selected 'Graphite'.

There's more, of course, but you probably didn't even get thus far . . . ;-)
( Last edited by booboo; Mar 5, 2006 at 06:47 PM. )

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006, 07:55 AM

can i have a Pro Apps interface system wide? I want SMALL buttons, widgets and text in dialog box's, text entry fields and open/save windows. The current interface is WAY too big in every respect for me.

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 05:53 PM

Well actually a simplification of the whole interface shambles would help here too:

How about System Preferences/Appearance: Choose: a systemwide theme: 'Unified Aqua', 'Unified Graphite', 'Pro', or 'Current Arbitrary Mess'™

And then:

Choose a size/resolution: 'MotherCare' (Best for Cinema Displays), 'Regular', 'MiniMe' and '20/20 Vision' (Best for the Rest of Us™).

Obviously, a scalable interface is ultimately the way Apple will go, and it will come eventually, but it would be nice if a point x release does actually concentrate on sorting out the UI - rather than just letting it 'evolve' - i.e. coming together and falling apart in roughly equal measure, as has been the trend thus far . . . .

Kate
Senior User
Mar 21, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by booboo
...How about System Preferences/Appearance: Choose: a systemwide theme: 'Unified Aqua', 'Unified Graphite', 'Pro', or 'Current Arbitrary Mess'™ . . . .
So true!

And don't make the "Arbitrary Mess™ " the default setting Mr. Jobs! ...

brunson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 06:41 PM

I would like to see X built into the GUI. This would be the first step in the direction of getting a remote display environment that didn't didn't rely on something like VNC.

dwd3885
Mar 22, 2006, 11:27 AM

I'd like to see unified themes too. it would also be great if Finder was actually good.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2006, 11:45 AM

Not to be too much of a Wordterd™, please sir/mam, be a bit more descriptive when describing what you mean by "good". As this is one of the larger mac/apple forums, it is important that we as a community express ourselves in a way that will be helpful to apple and the rest of the community.

Keep posting! Keep expressing! It is the only way.

R

Originally Posted by dwd3885
I'd like to see unified themes too. it would also be great if Finder was actually good.

goose
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by dwd3885
I'd just be happy if they got the icons to stop jumping around and to stay where I put them and for the snap-to-grid grid not to keep shifting.....

There's never enough when you have too little

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 06:05 PM

I'd like a way to better organize your apps. With hard drive sizes growing rapidly, I usually keep most downloaded apps on my hard drive in case I ever need to use them again. Going to the Applications folder and remembering what one is called works, but there's a better of way doing it.

Group your apps by functionality. It would just have to be a little patch to the installer that asks what category of Application you want this app to be. Similar to the grouping provided by the main GNOME/KDE menu in Linux.

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I'd like a way to better organize your apps. With hard drive sizes growing rapidly, I usually keep most downloaded apps on my hard drive in case I ever need to use them again. Going to the Applications folder and remembering what one is called works, but there's a better of way doing it.

Group your apps by functionality. It would just have to be a little patch to the installer that asks what category of Application you want this app to be. Similar to the grouping provided by the main GNOME/KDE menu in Linux.
Well this could be fixed by greatly souped-up system-wide meta-data - which all the iApp's and ProApp's use for there own purposes, but if the Finder had access to this - and user defined criteria - we'd be rocking . . .

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by all2ofme
Eug may agree with me that even with CMD-OPTION-I there as an alternative it bugs me that the default behaviour is this way around. I'm almost certain it never used to be.

For me, at least, when I select a group of folders and file I want to know what the combined total is, not the size of them all individually. I can think of more common scenarios where this'd be the case than I can where the reverse would be true.

Also, on a related note, it really annoys me that the window you get with the combined total can't be closed with CMD-W (it closes the window that your selection was in). Grrrr.

Edit - it's even more annoying than this. I just noticed that with 10 folders or fewer, you get ten different info windows, but with 11+ you get one (that can't be closed with CMD-W).
I believe the current method of having a different info window open for each individual file selected IS Apple's traditional way of doing it (OS 9 and older). Early versions of OS X had an "Inspector" which had a single window that changed to reflect the file info for the currently selected file or files. That was confusing at first because it was 'different' from how OS 9 did it but the Inspector's behavior sort of grew on you as more convenient. Apple then changed back to the OS 9 method but retained (via the OPTION modifier) the Inspector behavior as well. It is still called Inspector and you can see the choice change in the finder menu when you hold OPTION.

IMHO I think it is rather well implemented and I appreciate preserving OS 9 behavior except where it was important to change it.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 07:55 AM

Decent multi-threading in Safari, godamnit.

Kate
Senior User
Apr 3, 2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by booboo
Decent multi-threading in Safari, godamnit.
..and in Mail and nearly every other Apple app..... selecting the Dock brings the Finder to a halt and vice versa.... decent multi-threading is a must!

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:38 PM

List-shaded windows. OS 8 and Windows XP has them. It makes files easier to see when they are in list form.

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 04:53 PM

'Sort by . . . ' in Column view . . .

Replace the 'Find' field functionality in 'metal' windows with filtering functionality (kind of like iTunes.)

Re-instate the drag menu-bar icon in Preview to move the actual file (as it did in 10.3, and as it does in Finder windows) rather than create an alias.

Sometimes I wonder whether a second click on a Dock app icon should hide that app - Windoze style . . . click to bring it to the front, click again to hide it . . .

Macanoid
Senior User
Apr 8, 2006, 01:55 PM

A restricted screen area for Exposé. I want to be able to set a centred-area within which the Exposé windows are show. This is especially useful if you're working on a large screen.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 01:41 PM

Combine mail.app, iCal, and AddressBook into a Palm Desktop-like program.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by cgc
I hope that will never happen. I use the first one all the time, and never use the two others. I don't like this MS bloat 'take it all or leave it all' attitude.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by cgc
Got this from Digg.com just before:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2397/future_apple_os

See point number 11 below:

Rumors are floating around about significant Apple OS X updates that could possibly blow the doors off of Windows Vista in the near future. Of particular interest are numbers 2, 6, 11, and 17 in the following list provided by a confidential source working with Apple. Caution: You may want to monitor your heart-rate while reading.
Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Apple precludes me from revealing proprietary detail, but because most, if not all, of this is posted elsewhere and is commonly available, I have no problems with confirming the following. Still, please don’t quote me.
1. Leopard supports OS 9.x, as is done with Tiger, but OS 8 and earlier will not be officially supported. Legacy apps may still work, but Apple just won’t support them.
2. During the Leopard install, you are given the option to create specific partitioning to accommodate M$ Vista and Linux. Reformatting your HD is not required. Depending on your processor and RAM, all OS’s can run simultaneously & independently. A (minimum) 150 GB HD is required (250 GB is recommended), and 2 GB RAM (minimum) should you wish to run more than one OS. Dual processors are required for optimum performance, though this may change in 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.
3. DiskWarrior (in lieu of TechTool) will be bundled with 10.5 if one chooses Apple Care or extends their current Apple Care contract. I don’t know the pricing or specific details, though Apple Care for older machines will increase significantly with the machine’s age. Machines over 6 years old (from date of mfgr.) are not eligible.
4. Safari will include editable Helpers. Safari Tabs can be assigned colors. Safari will be about 37% faster (YMMV). The default for Safari bookmarks will now be alphabetical by folder. Safari will include configurable parental controls (for those who want configured parents). Safari will now import Firefox and Camino bookmarks. Also, there are 12 new Safari “skins”.
5. The Dock will be much different. One new feature is that as icons are added, they will automatically migrate/expand around the screen as needed (or, you can reduce the size of the icons as presently done). Also, multiple docks are an option as is the amount of “bounce” desired in those dock apps launching or needing your attention. There is an accompanying bounce sound, a boing-boing sort of thing.
6. Hooks are built-in to support an Apple PDA, but I can say no more.
7. All Metadata will be editable.
8. You can have 3 ‘Finder’ windows open simultaneously, much like having 3 displays, all running different applications or OS’s. If networked, any 3 computers can be displayed. Depending on the function/application, you can even Drag & Drop between displays. Password or Admin. privileges are required. (see #2 above).
9. Widgets can run on any or all of your open windows, similar to the way Stickies can be placed anywhere.
10. Terminal has balloons that will appear with alerts/warning notes should you wish to do something that you will (later) wish you hadn’t.
11. Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSight, and iChat will become one integrated application, much like Entourage (but better). Included is a customizable Auto Responder and voice activated dialing via numbers or Address Book names. You will be able to automatically send email & initiate iSight meetings, etc. that are linked/pegged to specific calendar events. This feature is called AutoPilot (see #6 above).
12. Voice recognition/security has returned as an option (see #6 above). Note: Use with caution. I am still not certain this will make the final release (it’s still a bit buggy); perhaps delayed until 10.5.1.
13. An across the board speed increase of 35 - 40%. YMMV.
14. Font, Printer, and User Preference (.plist) repair routines are built-in and are schedulable.
15. Sherlock has been eliminated (use Widgets instead).
16. When Repairing Permissions, the “We are using special permissions…” will no longer be displayed. Finally!
17. Airport (Extreme only) will notify you via the airport icon flashing in the menu bar if your signal is being hijacked or used by anyone other than you authorized.
18. Startups, Restarts, & User Switching will be exactly as the User left the machine; open apps, window positions, network connections, etc. will all be reestablished.
19. Bundled with Leopard is a small app called “TrashBack”, a program to recover deleted files. Of course, the sooner one uses it after trashing the better.
20. Numerous (other) bug fixes, including a totally rewritten Spotlight.
Leopard will be previewed in June at the WWDC and released in early November.

webraider
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 01:16 AM

I would love to see iMovie/iDVD be able to accept native Mpeg 2 files from the likes of EyeTV without the need to re-encode it! That would be extremely ideal seeing as how it's going to wind up an mpeg file in the end!

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2006, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Got this from Digg.com just before:
That list, word for word, was posted by pendragon in this thread, it was an April Fools joke.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 06:47 AM

No more digging at digg then!

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by SS3 GokouX
That list, word for word, was posted by pendragon in this thread, it was an April Fools joke.
Yeah, I've seen that retarded list posted in various places about 5 times now.
Genius. You know who.

phentermine
Apr 28, 2006, 02:16 PM

This has been said already many times, but I give my vote to automatic connection of samba shares. I hate when iTunes marks all songs "not found" with ! mark when I forgot to connect manually to my other machine where my mp3's are.

And maybe a way to put certain view default in Finder. I would like to use list view in every window.

Macrat
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 03:41 PM

DVD Player: I would like somebody to tell apple dvd video is 720x480 (720x540 unstretched), not the scaled down 640x480 crap we get from it now.

Oh, and it would be great if the finder/OS would handle files in a sequential manner. Like opening a group of numbered images in the order they are numbered (like OS 9 could do). Easy way to see this in action is to select a bunch of photos in the finder, right click and hit slideshow. Random city. Open them in Preview and do a slideshow and they display properly.

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 07:51 PM

I hate Windows, but I do like opening 1 image in a folder, and having the image viewer (whatever it's called) open subsequent images via the cursor keys . . .

Macanoid
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 01:44 PM

I would like workspaces/sets for Dashboard, so I can switch fast between various sets of widgets without having everything open. Something not unlike Omniweb's workspaces would be nice!

quangdiggity
Apr 29, 2006, 03:09 PM

i wish for:

the ability to quit Dashboard, since it can slow ya down if ur doin' "heavy stuff"
possibly free .Mac, or for ppl who buy 10.5- it'd be way more convinient
different positioning of dock (optional), y not put it like an L ..... no great advantage- just the "customization" to ur taste--

cant think of any major or more important change- but it has happened from time to time tht i wished tht Tiger could do sumthing else- i'll post sum more l8er

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 04:03 PM

Yes, it would be really handy to split the Dock into two - at the separator . . . but, like a more-than-one-button mouse, I bet Apple won't deliver until we're all using some 3rd party hack . . .

Audio Units:

Apple made a big deal about this audio plug-in format, yet the plug-ins supplied with Logic, Waveburner and Soundtrack are in Logic's own proprietary and non-interchangeable format meaning, not only can I not access them from other AU hosts - such as FCP - but I can't even access Logic's plugs from WaveBurner, which is a no-brainer as far as being an obvious requirement is concerned.

Forcing everyone to use a new format is familiar territory for Apple, but then ignoring it themselves is really taking the piss.

Logic's programmers were some of the best in the industry (for rock-solid, efficient code) if the proprietary format is more efficient than AU (the usual excuse) then that's reason to improve AU not justify staying proprietary.

plasticman
Apr 29, 2006, 07:04 PM

My request...

now that more windows users are migrating over to the Mac, I would ask that the green round button with a plus sign beside the red and amber ones in the top left corner of a window maximizes a window to the full desktop size (minus the vertical height of the dock).

At the moment, it seems to randomly choose another window size in safari and finder, but works nicely in iTunes

quangdiggity
Apr 30, 2006, 06:28 AM

i came up with other stuff now....
if they coul use front row(with remote n all) for other things than media!
i mean u could view word/pages files slideshows from ppt/keynote etc... all in that sleek design- the one with the black background. (not acqua style)

Ability to full screen windows- as in XP, were u can have internet expl. cover the whole screen.

The ability to make sum windows transparent over others... in this way u could see more stuff at the same time- and more customizable exposé stuff (F9, F10, F11)

being able to position/customize the positioning of the desktop image (from System Prefs.)

use of tabs (as in Camino) in the finder windows, and in other Apple apps, ie Safari

AND THE DVD REGION CODE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SWITCH AS MANY TIMES AS ONE WANTS; WITHOUT HAVING TO REBOOT THE SYSTEM !!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGGH
( Last edited by Gio-mania; Apr 30, 2006 at 09:56 AM. )

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by plasticman
My request...

now that more windows users are migrating over to the Mac, I would ask that the green round button with a plus sign beside the red and amber ones in the top left corner of a window maximizes a window to the full desktop size (minus the vertical height of the dock).

At the moment, it seems to randomly choose another window size in safari and finder, but works nicely in iTunes
Now that more Windows users are migrating over to the Mac, . . . . make the Mac more like Windows?

I think it's important to understand what the Mac's re-size widget is supposed to do and also appreciate how stoopid Window's 'maximize' is.

Historically, the Mac's window re-size widget toggled between two user-defined states. These days, the Mac OSX widget seems to toggle between a default size and a user defined size. The default size may or may not be full screen. Full screen may not be appropriate. Typically, Apple flout their own conventions with iTunes.

For many documents, maximize to full screen simply isn't appropriate. It may seem useful on your 15" iBook, but it looks pretty stupid having a TexEdit document fill a Cinema Display - especially when that document only contains 5 words . ..

Some Windows dialogue boxes can be fully maximized - and that can really look stupid - 'Do you really want to do this? Yes/ No filling an entire screen.

Now the Mac isn't 100% consistent in its window re-sizing or, sadly, many other aspects of the UI, but Windows is worse!

That reminds me. A plea for the universality of verbs in the buttons of dialogue boxes, Do you wish to save? [Save] [Cancel} is so much less confusing than the Windows-'standard' 'Do you wish to do something?' [Yes] [No] Or worse: 'Do something and then Quit? [Yes] [No] [Cancel]'

While I'm on this one, there's also an 'Apply' button creeping in from windows. As in [Apply] [OK] [Cancel] What's the difference between [Apply} and [OK]? Often, the [OK] button should be replaced by a close window widget, and Apply should be replaced by a verb indicating the action - although sometimes Apply really means OK, Cancel means Undo, and OK means Do It!

Cross-platform app's are predictably the worst offenders.

Here's a typical one from Cubase: 'Do you want to select another MASTER ASIO driver?' [Keep] [Switch]. OK, we've got verbs in the buttons (hurrah!) but they don't relate to the dialogue. Would 'Switch to another ASIO driver?' [Cancel] [Switch] have really been that much more effort?

Kompressor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 11:19 PM

ZFS

http://mail.opensolaris.org/mailman/...fo/zfs-discuss

The ULTIMATE FILE SYSTEM --- forget journalling, forget volume corruption ... WAY WAY FAST!!!

paterss
Forum Regular
May 1, 2006, 03:22 AM

I have been away from the scene for a while (too busy using my mac) and now I am looking at upgrading my 17" 1.5GHz to the newly released MacBookPro (got the name right ??) 17" . . . . but what about the delivery date for Mac OS 1.5 ?? Is that soon ? because I don't want to buy the new machine and then 4 weeks later buy the new OS...

Stuart
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Franz
Forum Regular
May 1, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by paterss
I have been away from the scene for a while (too busy using my mac) and now I am looking at upgrading my 17" 1.5GHz to the newly released MacBookPro (got the name right ??) 17" . . . . but what about the delivery date for Mac OS 1.5 ?? Is that soon ? because I don't want to buy the new machine and then 4 weeks later buy the new OS...

Stuart

Leopard/10.5 is a little under a year away now.

It will probably be released in March or April 2007.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Franz
Leopard/10.5 is a little under a year away now.

It will probably be released in March or April 2007.
Really? I was under the impression that it would be released this November or December.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

plasticman
May 1, 2006, 05:26 PM

booboo

thanks for explaining the historic aspects of the maximize button, but despite what I try and do with my window sizes in Safari it still gives me two choices, neither of which are user defined. Accordingly, I'm still confused!

I just don't understand it. I guess that's what I'm saying, rather than saying make Mac like Windows.

booboo
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by plasticman
booboo

thanks for explaining the historic aspects of the maximize button, but despite what I try and do with my window sizes in Safari it still gives me two choices, neither of which are user defined. Accordingly, I'm still confused!

I just don't understand it. I guess that's what I'm saying, rather than saying make Mac like Windows.

OK. In my Safari this is what the 'maximize' button does: it toggles between a user-defined size and another size which is full screen in height and at least wide enough to display the document correctly.

These are the rules, I think . . . ;-)

If the window is less than full screen height it toggles this aspect.

If the window is less then the required width to display the page correctly, it expands to display this aspect. If the window is wide enough (or wider than necessary) to display the page's full width, it leaves this aspect alone.

If the window is already large enough to display full height, and at least the required width, the window is toggled back to the user defined size.

Apple1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 06:59 AM

When will OS X Leopard actually be released?

OreoCookie
May 4, 2006, 09:40 AM

You are cross-posting Apple1 … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacRules
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2006, 11:10 PM

bootcamp is a nice start but I think rebooting to switch back and forth is a problem. For instance, if I'm in windows would I waste time to reboot to check my email. Probably not I would use outlook and just stay there.
I really think they need to make it a virtual machine so you can run windows under Mac osx. Then switching is just like going to another app. Implemented as a virtual machine it would still be secure and isolated from other mac aps and devices.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 11:10 AM

I would love a built-in backup assistant. Where, according to each folder, like music, movies pictures, or even the desktop. OSX would detect if you had a second HD (internal or external), and ask you, (or you could enable it in prefs), would you like to backup this folder? Everytime it is motified? Everytime it is modified with a certain filetype? Would you like to back it up daily? Monthly? Weekly? All those questons may get annoying, so it should probably be something you could enable in system prefs.

I would also love to see quicktime supporting all those filetypes : .avi, .mov, .wmv, .m4p etc. Because I love the look and feel of Quicktime, and only needing basic, simple programs to handle such great scale operations, (sound like apple?) I do use VLC, but it has a few bugs that could also be worked out.

G5man
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 01:31 AM

One bug I noticed in Tiger is that everytime I turn on and off my computer, my printer has shown up as a new one each time which I do not get. I wish Leopard would have a feature with plug and plays it does not appear multiple times.
Login window, have your own image there. Screensavers should be able to be used as desktops and maybe have a toolbox for all your icons that you keep on the desktop you instead use one of the "F" keys to have them come into place like in Expose. During shutdown, have a few select things like you can have an image or customize a screensaver for shutting down and starting up.
I know, it sounds ulikely but what else is there to add to a great OS?
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules