Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Avoid first generation Intel iMac?

Avoid first generation Intel iMac?
milo
Apr 12, 2006, 05:59 PM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:50 AM. )

tinoproductions
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2006, 06:34 PM

for a person who knows nothing about pcs i think the imac is amazing!
I am a season pc user, recently switched, well..more like converted!
I have ZERO problems, and recently managed to even put XP on there, so have both operating systems! not that yr mum will care..but if u need to do something with xp...its there!
The sofware that comes with it will be more than enough...and the help facilitys are exellent! I was weary of 1st gen, but its apple...they KNOW how to make stuff! and best of all it JUST WORKS!
Get one..will last more than a few years!
all the best
Tino

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 07:29 PM

I had both a PowerPC G5 20" and now an Intel iMac 20". Most of the design kinks have been ironed out for the imac. The intel release is pretty slick. I had more problems with my 1st imac G5 than I have had with my intel. In fact, the only problem I have had is no isub driver yet... Apple replaced my old imac with my intel imac under warranty. I noticed an immediate improvement in performance in OSX, the machine is quieter, and universal apps are being released constantly. If your mom isn't a designer or graphics professional, she won't be needing the pro apps. The intel imacs just work. As with any new product (G5 or intel) sometimes people get a dud. The intel is probably the way to go, going forward. It will last her for years.
My Blog-pakos.me

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 08:20 PM

My iMac has been great.

It's the greatest machine I have ever had that runs windows Xp to play Half Life 2! (I use OSX for everything else.)
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Apr 15, 2006 at 08:51 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

milo  (op)
Apr 12, 2006, 08:27 PM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:50 AM. )

davidflas
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 08:41 PM

I'd like to add one more positive experience... My 17" iMac has been flawless
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

uicandrew
Senior User
Apr 12, 2006, 09:01 PM

i love my 20" intel imac listed in my signature. but i have had some problems. The bottom ram slot (the unoccupied one) is not recognizing the ram, and my superdrive has been very erratic. but i took it to a local authorized apple service provider (in my town of 150,000) and it is getting fixed as we speak.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 02:20 AM

i havent had a problem yet...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 04:12 AM

A lot of folks are having trouble burning media at any decent speeds with the superdrive. Apple seem to be ignoring complaints and the problem.

XFce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 05:56 AM

This is my first Mac I am glad I made the switch. Words cannot describe how much I love the Intel I Mac core duo.
I seriously doubt you’ll be disappointed if you bought one. I have not had any problems with mine *knock on wood*

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Skeptik
A lot of folks are having trouble burning media at any decent speeds with the superdrive. Apple seem to be ignoring complaints and the problem.
Don't all Macs have that problem at the moment? My PM G5 will only write DVD-RW at 2x, and Mac mini's are pretty notorious for not burning at the right speed.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

tinoproductions
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 10:05 AM

I burn dvds at 8X no probs!
hmm...never really had a problem with burning!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 13, 2006, 10:28 AM

My older G5 iMac burns good name brand 8X media at 8x. It burns some noname 8X media at 4X or even 2X, but that media is worthless anyway. Even at 4X, many noname discs suck.

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 03:51 PM

OK - So it is pot luck whether you get a good one or not!

mjames
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2006, 12:20 AM

MacBook Pro and upcoming MacBook: I'd wait as notebooks are more risky and have more issues. I've read tons of issues with them. Pass for now.

iMac/Mac Mini: Go for it! My iMac has been brilliant.
21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Apr 15, 2006, 01:08 AM

my imac 20inch has been stunning so far

much more reliable , both hardware and o/s than my previous g4 imac and SO much faster !!!

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2006, 01:50 PM

My iBook died a couple of months ago, and I have been sharing an iBook since... until I got a 17" iMac 1.83 GHz yesterday.

I was running Tiger previously on the iBook (a G3/700 with 640MB RAM) and it was pretty sluggish for most tasks. But now with the Intel core, Tiger seems to be an F1 car.

The wide screen display is great too, coming from a 12".

I'm lovin' it.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2006, 07:51 PM

I reckon the difference in performance between old macs and new are keeping folks happy and a bit blind to any issues. They are just grateful for the boost rather than being critical ?

100plus1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2006, 08:05 PM

my 17" intel imac is amazing, couldnt ask for a better machine.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2006, 05:14 PM

You and your mom will be ecstatic. I have been a mac geek for 15 years and use every flavor of windows at work and I have never used such an amazing machine as my intel 20" iMac. The OS was a little flaky out of the box, but software update fixed everything.

Have fun, (like you have a choice in the matter )
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 100plus1
my 17" intel imac is amazing, couldnt ask for a better machine.
Cosign

pquinney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2006, 12:17 PM

Just to add my opinions - my 20" Core Duo is nothing short of an amazing machine. Its fast, quiet and just great to work with. The only minor issue I have is there was some minor scratches on the acrylic above the display; but I can only see them if I look at the screen from a strange angle (or if I have lights shining straight on the screen - in which case I can't see the screen!!)

I would definitely say go for it.

Phil.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 12:31 PM

It is a rule of thumb that the first generation usually has a few issues, but the current iMac seems to be one of the many exceptions.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2006, 01:16 PM

I've had my 20" dual core for a week now, and after running the firmware updater, no problems. Initially, the ethernet port wasn't working, but the firmware update solved that.

I am stunned at how fast this machine is and how bright the display is. I'm upgrading from a PowerMac dual 1.8 and the original 22" Cinema Display, and this is also my very first iMac after years of Power Macs, and if they had all been this good, I would have made the transition years ago. This really feels like modern tech to me. I'm saving a ton of space, too.

My only issues now are how slow Dreamweaver runs and the lack of drivers for my iceKey keyboard, but neither of these are Apple's fault.

milo  (op)
Apr 17, 2006, 02:23 PM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:48 AM. )

24klogos
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 12:23 AM

milo, your mum is going to have the best posible machine for her. As with anything electronic you buy theres always a chance things might not work properly (just a chance) so make sure you get Applecare for a good while. Their warranty is excellent and aside from the hassle of sending your machine for service in the event somethings' wrong, the Mac is the best fit for both you and your mom for years to come - i am assuming you're not going to make a living off this machine but use it as a home/mom's home computer.

Enjoy it.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

mrplow
Apr 18, 2006, 12:27 AM

just wanted to throw in that my 17" iMac rocks the freakin' house... obviously I love OS X and almost everything to go with it, but just for the sake of saying it-- it plays WoW and ut2k4 and Knights of the Old Republic at 100% under XP (I'm not sure what fps I'm getting on the higihest settings, but its absolutely flawlessly smooth).

one important side note, is that I had to reformat it like 3 times.. but I think this was actually the result of installing a driver for one of my printers, because after the 3rd time i never reinstalled it and have never run into a problem since

jwoods
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 12:39 AM

To add to the fray.....my 20" iMac is flawless. Everything works as advertised and it has surpassed my expectations (I'm a switcher). Absolutely the best machine I have purchased. Works great, is super fast.

I do recommend you get AppleCare though......just in case.

Katya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 02:14 AM

So far, I've had no problems with my 17' Intel iMac. And I love the fact that it can run Windows XP. I haven't tried it though since our PC still works. When our PC bites the dust, I'll definitely try Boot Camp.
17" iMac Core Duo, 1.5 GB RAM, 160GB hard drive
6GB iPod mini Silver

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2006, 07:40 AM

This thread is killing me. I adore my iMac G4 as the case design is far superior to the newer iMacs, BUT I want some modern-day power. I might have to start saving...

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

lawson
Baninated
Apr 20, 2006, 07:36 PM

I got my 17" iMac Intel in yesterday from MacMall. Phew I love it so much!!!!! I have ordered XP Home OEM for Boot Camp, but even if I end up not liking XP's performance, X's performance is nothing short of smoking!

This (knock on wood) is by far the best system I have ever had.

Apple rules!

lawson
Baninated
Apr 22, 2006, 11:18 PM

I installed Boot Camp this morning on my iMac Intel 17" and it was as easy as pie. So far I haven't seen any reasons not to recommend the first generation Intel iMac.

quangdiggity
Apr 30, 2006, 10:38 AM

i agree with all of you, saying that apple has the "JUST WORKS" thing going on- and its true.....
but whatever the company is, the first generation arent always 100% reliable......
consider that the first G3's had issues..... so the intel imacs might too

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2006, 11:49 PM

That is true that 1st gen machines may have more problems, but the new imacs have been in the current form for quite some time. The intel transition is far smaller a hurdle than a completely redesigned box. Most of the components have been through their paces.
My Blog-pakos.me

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2006, 01:08 AM

I just spent the night burning ten CDs using Toast 6, using Photoshop to create CD covers and printing them all at the same time on my 20" iMac with 2 Gigs of RAM. PS was a little slower than it used to be on my dual 1.8 G5, but everything else ran smooth as silk.

I have nothing but good things to say about my iMac.

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2006, 11:30 PM

Do any of you iMac owners find any glare from the shiny white plastic around the screen? I am trying to decide between a Mini and iMac. When I went to the Apple Store the one thing that concerned me about the iMac is the possibility of glare from the shiny white plastic, but I like the fact that it has a real graphics card and not that integrated crap thats on the Mini.
I am going to use the computer mainly for web surfing.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2006, 11:42 PM

I don't even notice the area around the screen. The display itself is bright and clear, and all my attention is focused there.

The short answer: no.

Forum Links
Forum Rules