Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > considering a mac

considering a mac
Jaffa
Apr 30, 2006, 01:12 PM

hello

i am a complete mac virgin desperate to swich to the mac platform for every reason that makes mac brill

but i dont now what to get. i want something ideal for web browsing word processing and using garage band

i cant afford the new imac though

can you help me
( Last edited by tomboyle; Apr 30, 2006 at 01:53 PM. )

quangdiggity
Apr 30, 2006, 01:57 PM

then ur technically only able to get the Mac Mini.....
for those simple tasks the Mini Solo will be fine..... but if u can spend an xtra dollar or two then the Mini Core Duo would be better

btw,, its brave of u to want to become a Mac User......its tough for the PC-folk

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 01:59 PM

Well if you can't afford a new iMac, I would get a new Intel Mini or look into a refurbed iMac (if you've just got to have an iMac). Either one should serve you quite well.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gio-mania

btw,, its brave of u to want to become a Mac User......its tough for the PC-folk
What rubbish is that? ok, i'm pretty computer savvy, but it took me less than 3 days to learn how to get around on a mac, and after a week, and can honestly say I knew almost everything it could do. Someone non-computer savvy could easily do it in 2 weeks.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 03:07 PM

Macs have a short learning curve. It didn't take me long to learn them, either.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 07:49 AM

yup...it doesn't take long at all to get used to it....get a Mac Mini.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

quangdiggity
May 1, 2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
What rubbish is that? ok, i'm pretty computer savvy, but it took me less than 3 days to learn how to get around on a mac, and after a week, and can honestly say I knew almost everything it could do. Someone non-computer savvy could easily do it in 2 weeks.
LMAO.....

i'm not saying Mac's are bad- my family only uses macs
i find macs easier and more effiecient- defenatly funner !!

but the thing is that most windows ppl dont know anything about the mac and haves "prejudices"
for example: all my friends and ppl in the school say macs are inferior- u c what i mean?

badnewsblair
Senior User
May 1, 2006, 09:39 AM

The most decked out Mac mini you can get would be ideal. Web browsing email, etc. doesn't need a lot of horsepower, but that one at the end... Garageband, does. Get the best sytem you can and it will last you longer. If that means toughing it out with your Windows machine a little longer to get an iMac, then do it. It is plenty worth it.

On another note, no one needs to jump down Gio-mania's throat here. He has a point. I used to work at the Apple store and the vast majority of switchers have no problem making the switch and most rather enjoy it. But there are a lot (A LOT) of people that have used Windows so long that the Mac OS just seems so foreign for them and they sunsequently have a hard time learning the new machine.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2006, 10:49 AM

Also, if money is tight, keep an eye on the "special deals" section of the online Apple Store. They have refurbished machines for sale as they become available. Right now, for example, you can get a top of the line Core Duo iMac for $1,399 ($300 off), and a refurb Core Duo Mac Mini for $699 ($100 off).

And if you don't already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, don't forget to factor the cost of those in if you choose the Mac Mini.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jaffa  (op)
May 1, 2006, 12:07 PM

ok thank you

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
May 1, 2006, 03:06 PM

As I said in my earlier post, a Mini or a refurbed iMac would serve you well. However, don't let the Mini's size fool you. It is PLENTY powerful enough to do what you are wanting to do with it. A loaded Mini is a VERY capable machine (unless you want to do 3D intensive tasks). This is a full-function computer, it is not missing anything.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

Jaffa  (op)
May 2, 2006, 03:04 PM

well wot prices shoud i be willing to pay for a used powerpc mini

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by tomboyle
well wot prices shoud i be willing to pay for a used powerpc mini
Depends which one, but I'd say 60-65% of the original price ($300 for a $499, $450 for a 699, $550 for a $899).

Forum Links
Forum Rules