Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel imac seems to have a lot of problems?

Intel imac seems to have a lot of problems?
leezer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 03:03 PM

I try to switch from emac to Intel imac. emac doesn't have an enough space for running music sequencing programs and sound samples. People recommand to get a power mac, but I can't afford it. I also heard that apple company does not make this model any more after 2006. I am not sure it is worthy to buy or not.

I have asked people about intel imac. Some said it's really fast and faster than power mac. On the other hand this computer is not for professionals yet. It has many problems with music sequencers like protools or other softwears.... I have Logic pro, and am getting a sound library(around 80Gb), and a few more music programs.

Is there anybody who can give me advice? or is there anybody who has a home studio as similar setting as mine?
Help...

Runtoki

jwoods
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 11:44 AM

My experience with the intel iMac has been fantastic. The main software problems are due to PPC based software running under Rosetta. (They may running slower, or not run at all. Might crash or stop unexpectedly, etc.)

Universal Binary versions have all run without a hitch on my machine. In fact, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my iMac.

Logic pro is available as a universal binary for a $49 crossgrade fee. So, if you have the PPC version, you can get the intel version for fifty bucks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 12:00 PM

Yep. An iMac Core Duo running a Universal Binary version of Logic should do great.

tooki

quangdiggity
May 26, 2006, 12:11 PM

whatever is universal runs better on the iMac......
it would outshine any G4 or G5, apart from the quad

leezer3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 03:34 PM

Thank you so much for all these information..
I should crossgrace to universal binary version of logic. How about other programs, such as finale, different kind of sound library? Do I need to crossgrade all these programs?
One more thing, if I use intelmac, is it possible to connect to another monitor? I like to use two monitors at the same time since it needs many windows.

runtoki

P.S. as you can tell, I don't know about a computer very well. I am so glad that I am a member of Macnn. I have learned a lot by reading forums.
thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2006, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gio-mania
whatever is universal runs better on the iMac......
it would outshine any G4 or G5, apart from the quad
And the award for the most vacuous post on performance goes to Gio. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

leezer3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 04:34 PM

Is there anybody who has a home music studio(losic pro) with intelmac?
If so, how did you set up?

runtoki
( Last edited by runtoki; May 31, 2006 at 04:46 PM. )

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 06:00 PM

Here's a list of programs that are available as universal binaries, which includes Logic:

http://guides.macrumors.com/List_of_Universal_Binaries

It's possible to connect a separate monitor to the Intel iMac with the mini-DVI adapters available at the Apple store (mini-DVI to VGA, and mini-DVI to DVI.)

As stated above, as long as you're using programs that are Intel native, or are in universal binary form, you'll love the iMac, though you may run into problems finding drivers for external audio mixers, and such.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
And the award for the most vacuous post on performance goes to Gio. . .
Is there no limit to your boringly predictable posts? Do you have nothing better to do ?

Apple now use Intel chips - get over it!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

iMacfan
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 01:13 PM

Just as everyone else has said, the Intel iMacs seem to be the most stable, issue free computers that you can buy. They are also extremely good value.

Get universal versions of all the programs that you use, and you'll be flying.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jun 3, 2006, 01:43 PM

i bought the intel imac , i can sum it up in one word

amazing

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 09:56 AM

While I got a bum iMac from Amazon (it turned out the serial # came from the first week of production), I have heard virtually NO complaints about the Intel iMac. I am thinking of putting my foot back into the waters here. I really want a portable, but as you know it's the portables that are overshadowing the Intel iMacs with their whining and heat, none of which exist on the iMac right now.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

leezer3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 04:12 AM

thank you everybody. I will wait until the end of July. I heard there is a upgrade intel mac coming... True ot not... I will wait. I probably buy a imac.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by runtoki
thank you everybody. I will wait until the end of July. I heard there is a upgrade intel mac coming... True ot not... I will wait. I probably buy a imac.
You'll be glad you did. My 20" Intel iMac is my first Apple after many years on Dell systems. It is by far the most trouble-free and stable computer I've ever owned.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
i bought the intel imac , i can sum it up in one word

amazing
Amazing, fast, silent.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules