Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is there a difference between 1.5 GB and 2GB

Is there a difference between 1.5 GB and 2GB
sameer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 04:07 PM

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
since apple charges so much on random acces memory (ram)
i thought i'd just go third partei- as many others do (right? )

so what advantages do i have if i go 2GB instead of 1.5 GB ???
what kind of improvements will i c in performance? i read sum ppl said osx really uses extra ram

thanks in advance for any helpful answers

edit: ps, price aside- is there advantage/ disadvantage in getting an external Hd instead of upgrading from apple store? apart from the integration etc..

[/FONT]

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2006, 04:12 PM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums! And aside from the flip answer ("Yes, half a gigabite!") I can tell you that OS X likes RAM, the more the better, and unlike Windows, it doesn't have a particular "sweet spot" above which adding RAM doesn't help.

You can easily save lots and lots of money by simply buying the appropriate RAM from a third party vendor. It is apparently not difficult on any of the Intel Macs to add RAM, so it should not be too scary. But go with a known vendor, like Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, and the other well known brands rather than "Bob's RAM and Storm Door Company." You'll be a lot happier knowing you can depend on the product you buy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

quangdiggity
May 27, 2006, 04:19 PM

heyendo, welcome.......

about the second point;

if im not mistaken, isnt an external hd real slow- atleast in comparison to a internal 1 ??? FW 400 isnt tht fast

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 04:22 PM

Firewire 400 is more than fast enough for everything but hardcore video editing.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 04:48 PM

Depends how hardcore you want to get.... I often use an ext HD for video editing (DV), using multicam in FCP. With 4 cams simultaneously playing, the speed of FW400 was fine. When I bumped it up to 7, however, FW400 could not handle it
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

quangdiggity
May 27, 2006, 05:07 PM

so FW400 is fast, doesnt 400 stand for 400mb/s ? apart from the fact that it wont reach tht speed isnt it still slow? well aparantly not.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 07:33 AM

don't buy your external HD, if you buy one, from Apple. way over price. i bought a 250gb drive to backup my iMac's 250gb for $85 shipped from dealmac.com or dealnews.com deals and put it in a standard firewire 400/USB 2.0 external HD case. total cost less than $150.
Looking forward.

Forum Links
Forum Rules