Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac beep - no boot

eMac beep - no boot
Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006, 07:10 AM

My eMac's been having some boot-issues recently where it would sometimes just beep a couple of times and leave the screen black (the light on the front also blinking). Note that it does *not* put me into singe-user mode.

The behaviour matches exactly that of a RAM-problem described in this Apple support article (though it's not the same generation), but wouldn't the issue then had shown from the start? I eventually got it to boot after having juggled the ram around for a bit. It shows the correct amount of RAM in the ASP, btw.

I had also placed a piece of foam behind the fan to reduce the noise from the it, could it be that it's gotten (temporarily or otherwise) overheated?
( Last edited by Jacke; Jul 24, 2006 at 07:31 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 10:59 AM

I would remove the foam and see what happens.

Jacke  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2006, 10:22 AM

Yep, that's the first thing I did. I also dug out the Apple Hardware Test CD that I'm gonna run. I read that sometimes the computer will still accept the RAM but when you run the diagnostics CD it will fail it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2006, 10:28 AM

This sounds like it could be a RAM problem then. If it isn't it might be a logic board problem.

Jacke  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2006, 06:11 PM

The Hardware test showed nothing wrong... I was actually sort of hoping it would be that 128 stick so I would have a reason to upgrade it to a 512

Anyway, it's been behaving now, no problems. I've convinced myself that it was temporary overheating so I won't go around worrying about it. If it breaks (which I hope it doesn't)... well, I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules