Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Solution to MacBook Pro heating issues

Solution to MacBook Pro heating issues
raja85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 03:24 PM

This is no joke guys, I have been using my MacBook Pro 1.1 with this simple program for the past 2 days, and I have seen huge reduction in the temperature both in CoreDuoTemp as well as the underbody of the notebook. I am finally able to use my Macbook pro as a laptop, not a tabletop. The normal usage temperature reduced from 60C to 33-37C, and under heavy use it still remains under 60C (all temperatures are from CoreDuoTemp). The battery life should be effected but cooler temp is more important to me than battery life.

The SMC.DMG contains scripts to change the fan RPM from the default 1000 to upto 6000 (I am using the 4000rpm script). the terminal can also be used to make these changes manually. FanSpeed.DMG is another application that uses SMC but apparently sets the values at boot time, but I have not tested it.

Original post:
Apple - Support - Discussions - STICKY! THE Ultimate Self Cooling ...

Here is a download link to these files:

SMC.DMG:
SMC.DMG

FanSpeed.DMG
FANSPEED.DMG

I tried writing a simple GUI for this program, but since i have never programmed on a mac, its hard to get started suddenly. Hopefully somebody will write a simple GUI that others can use...

zign
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2006, 05:42 PM

True! I am aslo using this script and the machine is much cooler. 32C with Adium, Mail.app and Safari.
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 05:45 PM

Link to Apple discussion post doesn't work.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

raja85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Macola
Link to Apple discussion post doesn't work.
Apple's discussion site is offline at the moment, the link worked perfectly when i posted earlier today.

You can try this link:
The Awful Forums - A solution to excessive Macbook Pro heat?

bernt
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 06:25 AM

Check http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...-turn-up-your/ for a more user friendly approach.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

raja85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 09:19 PM

I finally had some breakthrough learning more about programming in cocoa, I had some trouble getting the C code from the SMC app to work in obj-c. Does anybody have links to good tutorials? I have good experience in programming, mostly windows, but now I am switcher in programming too.

Anyways, I am halfway through writing a simple app for the Fan controller. Hopefully I will be done soon, hard to learn something new while working on a fulltime job and also preparing for GRE.

Program feature requests are welcome too. I will be posting more about the program once I am done...

Forum Links
Forum Rules