Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes Store dissatisfaction?

iTunes Store dissatisfaction?
Bermy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 12:33 PM

Not sure where to post this but here seems most appropriate.

I really need to rant. Let me start by saying that I *LOVE* the iTunes store! I think its great to get my movies, music, shows, and music video from it. I love being able to browse the selections and get what I want when I want it. However, right there, lies it's largest problem! You cannot seem to get very much of the content you would like. (Bear with me, I realize "content you would like" is obviously highly subjective)

Lets start with the first issue I am having. I downloaded the first season of "24" having never seen it before. Like many others I thought it was great! Really enjoyed the show. Now I despartely want season 2. I look and they offer season 2, yet episodes one and 12 are missing! From reading the customer reviews it seems as if this issue has been there for quite a few months now and yet absolutely no action by Apple to fix this is apparent what so ever. Not even so much an acknowledment they are even so much as aware of it. I, myself, have even tried to contact Apple to find out when they will remedy this and so far have come up completely empty handed. Does anyone at all know who or where to contact to get any answer on this at all?

Gripe #2. Music video selection available content. Let me start off by saying right away I am full aware it is essentially impossible to cater to everyones tastes at the same time. They need to carry a certain amount of current and popular selections over others. However, I don't believe it should be too difficult for them to carry music video of semi-popular/popular groups such as The Cure or Depeche Mode, etc just to name a few (examples only, don't get hung up on the tastes) from a myriad of others. It just seems that everytime I look for music video from my favourite groups they either 1) do not have any selection for the group at all or 2) do not carry the video for the particular song I am looking for.

Is anyone else finding this to be true at all? I generally consider my tastes fairly eclectic so I can't understand when I am looking for music video on their site my selections seem to come up constantly short. It's been over a year now and I most definately would have thought they would have had a much wider selection of music video by this point. I think the only way to say it is that their "back catalog" seems to woefully lacking in content. I would really like to see and would have expected after over a year, much more music video from the 80's or 90's. Actually (and I know its likely a huge stretch) I believe they ought to offer a music video for essentially every song they offer to download, providing.

What do some of you think might be the issues holding this up and keeping the music video area (in my humble opinion) lack luster at best?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 12:58 PM

Get a Blog.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post

Get a Blog.
Get over yourself?
Now?
we don't have time to stop for gas

DarwinX
Nov 3, 2006, 03:31 PM

Really I don't find this to be Apple's fault or problem. Your rant would be much better served by being sent in the direction of the RIAA, movie studios and TV networks. Do you think Apple would willingly hold back content? Heck no, more content = better store = more revenue for Apple. Apple can't force these companies to give them the content you wish, and admittedly in my opinion has done a darn fine job in getting what they do have and maintaining the best possible price. Just my 2 cents.
( Last edited by DarwinX; Nov 3, 2006 at 04:56 PM. )

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by DarwinX View Post
Really I don't find this to be Apple's fault or problem. Your rant would be much better served by being sent in the direction of the RIAA, movie studios and TV networks. Do you think Apple would willingly hold back content? Heck no, more content = better storm = more revenue for Apple. Apple can't force these companies to give them the content you wish, and admittedly in my opinion has done a darn fine job in getting what they do have and maintaining the best possible price. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. Apple isn't the one holding back content, or just not working hard to get new or old content up. Its the record companies and their messed up contracts that is limiting content on the iTMS. If Apple had their way they'd have every song ever made, with every video ever made available for purchase. But they simply cannot do that because of contracts with RIAA and record companies.

I know the iTMS has been up for a couple years now, but I think that as time goes by the record companies will open up and start making more content available to Apple. If you look at when the iTMS first launched, their selection was pretty light. As the concept of the store proved itself to be successful, the record companies loosened up their tight arses and gave Apple access to more content. I think this will continue.

So don't blame Apple for lack of content. Blame record companies and RIAA. The movie selections will also be more plentiful when other movie studios other than Disney see that they can make good money offering movies on iTMS.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 03:40 PM

Get a Blog.
Get a life.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 04:06 PM

OH NOEZ!!!11! I have ben teh smaked down!!11!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 05:13 PM

Man, you should try something less boring to get some attention.

nexus5.

Bermy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 07:59 PM

go back to the world of warcraft forums.

Bermy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I agree. Apple isn't the one holding back content, or just not working hard to get new or old content up. Its the record companies and their messed up contracts that is limiting content on the iTMS. If Apple had their way they'd have every song ever made, with every video ever made available for purchase. But they simply cannot do that because of contracts with RIAA and record companies.

I know the iTMS has been up for a couple years now, but I think that as time goes by the record companies will open up and start making more content available to Apple. If you look at when the iTMS first launched, their selection was pretty light. As the concept of the store proved itself to be successful, the record companies loosened up their tight arses and gave Apple access to more content. I think this will continue.

So don't blame Apple for lack of content. Blame record companies and RIAA. The movie selections will also be more plentiful when other movie studios other than Disney see that they can make good money offering movies on iTMS.
Agree indeed. However, after more than a year one has to seriously wonder how much they are attempting to negotiate deals with the holders of the content? Are they even attempting to do so at this point? One wonders.

Any idea on the issue with episodes missing from season 2 of 24 or whom to attempt to contact at this point?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
Any idea on the issue with episodes missing from season 2 of 24 or whom to attempt to contact at this point?
If I were you, I wouldn't wait. Get it on Amazon or from Blockbuster. Then rip it. Easy fix.

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 03:55 AM

My frustration with the iTMS canada is that a lot of the CDs I want get posted on the American store but not the Canadian store. It's really frustrating for me. But I imagine this is more the label's fault than Apple's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules