Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Strange Problem: Created a user, but OSX won't let me login

Strange Problem: Created a user, but OSX won't let me login
Keda
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 12:17 PM

10.4.9 PPC

I created a new user from my admin account. This user is a non-admin. After I created the account, everything seemed normal...user appeared in prefs and associated files are visible in Finder. However, when I try to login it is denying my credentials.

I have recreated the user several times, and reset the password...no luck.

Any thoughts?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 12:35 PM

That is strange. Have you tried creating a new user without giving it a password?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 12:41 PM

No. How would I login?

-EDIT-

Ok, no luck with that. It still acts like I have entered the wrong password.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 01:05 PM

Have you tried restarting? Login window strangeness usually gets cured by a restart.

I'd also try logging into the new account through Terminal to see whether that works.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 01:41 PM

Since your password is case sensitive, can it be your Shift key is stuck?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 01:51 PM

I've restarted and repaired permissions. The Caps/Shift key does not appear to be stuck.

I'm not sure how to login via terminal, but I'd be happy to try.

Also, I have created several different accounts, and all exhibit this behavior. SO, it does not seem to be connected with the user/password combo (long shot I know).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 02:17 PM

Open Terminal. Type login and press return then try to log in as the user you cannot get to through the GUI. See what error is written, if any.

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 05:54 PM

ok, I tried to login from terminal. It says that the login is incorrect, no other message.

I have confirmed multiple times that the password is correct. I have also setup other users to test the name. I'm at a loss. I've been on OSX since beta and have never seen this before.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 05:56 PM

Looks like you need to do an Archive and Install, unless someone else has a better idea.

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 07:02 PM

Is this anything that NetInfo Manager can shed light on?

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Apr 10, 2007, 06:06 PM

Ok, problem "solved."

I ended up activating Root in NetInfo, and logging in under that user. From there, I created an account (like before). This time, the login went normally.

So far, I have logged in from the login screen and connected from other Macs (the main need). I have not tried login from my original user on the machine. I'm away from work now, but will try that in the morning. I put solved in quotes, because I don't really think I fixed the problem...just got around it.

As always, thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I will trouble-shoot this further, bcs the immediate issue is resolved. I may try creating a user from the new user, to test if the problem is isolated to my orig account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules