Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mac Messenger is anybody else having a problem with it?

Mac Messenger is anybody else having a problem with it?
rach
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2007, 10:37 PM

Hi for about three days now my Mac Messenger Windows live has not been working correctly under Safari. When a message notification pops up i click on it and am redirected to the log in page but my hotmail will not allow me to sign in to my email account. I get an error come up that -
Windows Live ID is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:
This site may be experiencing a problem.
The site may not be a member of Windows Live ID.
I have tried reinstalling and typing in my password again. I haven't seen any other threads on this. Is it just me who has this problem or does anybody else?
Has anybody got any ideas on a fix for this? I am using the latest Mac Messenger.
Thank you

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2007, 11:46 PM

Have you tried using Firefox?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2007, 12:00 AM

Did you have macfantn write your subject for you?

rach  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2007, 03:12 AM

Railroader i can sign in through Firefox but i cannot automatically sign in like i was able to do before. When i see that i have a notification I have to type the web address into the Firefox address bar myself. Before with Safari and Mac messenger i could just click on a notification message and it would take me directly to my inbox.

Gossamer i don't know who that other FM is so i am not sure what you mean.

Cipher13
Apr 19, 2007, 03:48 AM

Why not use Adium?

Rumor
Apr 19, 2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Why not use Adium?
Seconded. Much better program.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

rach  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2007, 04:15 AM

Cipher13 and Rumor I do prefer Mac Messenger to Aduim. I have tried Aduim in the past and that does not have any email notifications. You have to sign in every time you want to check your email and i prefer not to have to do that.

DarwinX
Apr 19, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by rach View Post
Cipher13 and Rumor I do prefer Mac Messenger to Aduim. I have tried Aduim in the past and that does not have any email notifications. You have to sign in every time you want to check your email and i prefer not to have to do that.
If you have already setup your MSN account on Adium simply:

1.) Go to Adium->Preferences (
2.) Select the Accounts preferences pane
3.) Edit your MSN account and somewhere within the various tabs is a check box to enable you to receive e-mail notifications. Just dig, it is in there somewhere, I can't think of it exactly as I'm not in front of my Mac.

Sorry I can't answer the original question, just thought I would at least answer that much.

rach  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2007, 03:25 PM

Thank you for your help i have just downloaded Adium again and it works quite well.

I think that this is a problem with Safari and hotmail. I am able to get notification and sign in through that using Adium and Mac Messenger when using Firefox but it will not work with Safari. Even if i type in the url myself in Safari it will not load up my msn page to allow me to sign in.

I am not that keen on Firefox but i set it as a default browser earlier on today and I think that i may have just keep it as my default browser until these issues are sorted out that i have been having.

Originally Posted by DarwinX View Post
If you have already setup your MSN account on Adium simply:

1.) Go to Adium->Preferences (
2.) Select the Accounts preferences pane
3.) Edit your MSN account and somewhere within the various tabs is a check box to enable you to receive e-mail notifications. Just dig, it is in there somewhere, I can't think of it exactly as I'm not in front of my Mac.

Sorry I can't answer the original question, just thought I would at least answer that much.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by rach View Post
Thank you for your help i have just downloaded Adium again and it works quite well.

I think that this is a problem with Safari and hotmail. I am able to get notification and sign in through that using Adium and Mac Messenger when using Firefox but it will not work with Safari. Even if i type in the url myself in Safari it will not load up my msn page to allow me to sign in.

I am not that keen on Firefox but i set it as a default browser earlier on today and I think that i may have just keep it as my default browser until these issues are sorted out that i have been having.
Oh yeah dude, stay away from Microsoft's messenger. Anything MS does for us will never be good. Their mission in the tech world is to make others fail in order for them to win.
On the other hand the Office Suite is good but only because we are paying for it. Unless you are on Windows nothing free from Microsoft will be good on the Mac. I wish Apple felt that way about Windows users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules