Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mobile phone syncing--master list?

mobile phone syncing--master list?
tioga
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2007, 05:36 PM

Is there a master list of all mobile phones which will sync with iCal and address book via bluetooth?

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 07:09 PM

Apple - Mac OS X - iSync - Devices

also, Nokia has taken to not waiting for Apple, they're doing their own iSync plugins

Nokia - iSync - Software - Get support and software

Edit: Verizon has a habit of blocking bluetooth syncing, forcing you to buy their usb cable. Buyer beware

tioga  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2007, 07:23 PM

Amazing,
Thanks, that's just what I was looking for.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 03:53 PM

My Verizon phone syncs contacts and calendars very well via bluetooth -- its just file sharing/transferring that seems to be affected.
Mary

LittleBastad
Apr 18, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
My Verizon phone syncs contacts and calendars very well via bluetooth -- its just file sharing/transferring that seems to be affected.
Really?!? I'm about to buy an iMac, and from what I had read I was pretty convinced that there was no way I was going to be able to use iSync with my Verizon phone. What model do you have? Any tips on how you got it working?

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2007, 04:14 PM

First, make sure that the phone you want is supported by iSync. Mine is a Motorola E815 (about 2 yrs old). I just paired it with the computer using Bluetooth setup assistant (I think -- not at the mac right now), and iSync took it from there. You can choose to sync contacts, calendars, etc. when you do the setup. It then shows up in iSync and you just have to tell it to sync. Never been a problem.

Good Luck!
Mary

LittleBastad
Apr 18, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
First, make sure that the phone you want is supported by iSync. Mine is a Motorola E815 (about 2 yrs old). I just paired it with the computer using Bluetooth setup assistant (I think -- not at the mac right now), and iSync took it from there. You can choose to sync contacts, calendars, etc. when you do the setup. It then shows up in iSync and you just have to tell it to sync. Never been a problem.

Good Luck!
Ah, I think that's where I'm going to run into a problem. Mine is a Samsung a950 (about 1 year old), and I think Verizon crippled the Bluetooth on that one. But we'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping to get the money for the Mac within the week, so maybe I'll know for sure by next week.

LittleBastad
Apr 23, 2007, 01:08 PM

Got the iMac over the weekend, tried to sync it, and was denied. From what I've read, Verizon has disabled OBEX on my phone and only allows Bluetooth for audio devices. :-(

DarwinX
Apr 23, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by LittleBastad View Post
Got the iMac over the weekend, tried to sync it, and was denied. From what I've read, Verizon has disabled OBEX on my phone and only allows Bluetooth for audio devices. :-(
It is most likely that your phone simply isn't supported by iSync. Google around, sometimes you can find a way by editing a plist and such. OBEX is disabled on the above posters e815 as it is on mine, but iSyncing still works for iCal and Address Book. OBEX typically all that Verizon blocks, though admittedly that is a HUGE item to block. Search around, maybe you'll find something that will work with your phone or simply, hope with Leopard and a new iSync comes more supported phones.

LittleBastad
Apr 23, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by DarwinX View Post
It is most likely that your phone simply isn't supported by iSync. Google around, sometimes you can find a way by editing a plist and such.
Thanks for the note, DarwinX. I wasn't sure if they were the same thing or not. Hopefully I'll find something, though I've been looking for months in anticipation of getting the iMac, and I haven't found anything yet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, or Googling the wrong terms? Any suggestions?
( Last edited by LittleBastad; Apr 24, 2007 at 09:41 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules